R2 July 11th Start

onekate716

Tomorrow I start my second round. Well, it's technically my second attempt at my second round. Let me start from the beginning...

I started my first Whole30 during the last week of February 2016 after being introduced to to program from my boss at work. I decided to give it a go after seeing all of her fantastic NSVs. I didn't particularly prepare, besides reading It Starts With Food, and ended up waking up one Wednesday morning and went for it. I made it through the entire 30 days and had amazing results, my biggest being that I had stopped biting my nails, a habit I had since I can remember.

A few weeks pass after completing my first round and I began to spiral back into bad habits. I became depressed, stopped working out, started eating horribly and ultimately gained back all of the weight I had lost. I attempted to do another round of the Whole30, but gave up 15 days in. I realized then that I have an unhealthy addiction to food. I've been lost and not sure how to tackle my situation. 

About 2 weeks ago I started talking to a friend about the program. She is around my age and showed a lot of interest. So, I loaned her my copy of It Starts With Food and she decided to try the program. I told her I would join her, hoping that we could be accountability buddies and a support system for each other. 

My biggest concern this time around is about self control. I decided that I'm going to try and post to this forum daily so that I can use it as another source of accountably. Any and all advice and feedback is greatly appreciated. I really want to get back on track on not only losing weight, but living a healthier lifestyle.

Out with the bad, in with the good. Time to rock these 30 days.  

Welcome to Day 1!  What's awesome about you is that you already know you can succeed at this.  You're also being very honest with yourself in identifying and acknowledging your challenge areas.  Good job having an accountability partner in your life and for encouraging her to succeed, too. 

This forum is for you.  Daily accountability here will help keep you on track.  We're all in this together to help give each other the best chances of being the best versions of ourselves.

You've got this.  :D

Thanks for the extra confidence boost, Jager07!!

Today was a huge success, as the first day usually is for many. I stayed positive and made it through the day feeling really good. Here's what I ate:

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with tomatoes, Trader Joe's salsa and homemade guacamole, and a side of fresh kale with a little balsamic vinegar.

Lunch: Kale and mixed green salad with tomato, sautéed peppers and onions, and beef. No dressing.

Dinner: Steak, 1 small sweet potato, fresh kale with balsamic vinegar. 

Snack between lunch and dinner: 10 cashew pieces. 

I had 2 cups of coffee, a glass of GT's original kombucha and TONS of water. 

Whenever my stomach started to growl, I drank water and was able to subdue the beast within. I went a little heavy on the red meat today because I had dinner at my parents house and would not have had beef if I was left to my own devices. BUT I did manage to steer away from the temptation of cheese, bread, and, of course, dessert. I'm also proud that I maintained good portion control and didn't over eat anything...especially nuts. I plan on avoiding most fruits this round because I realized after my first round that I had been using them as a dessert to get my sweet fix. 

Off to a good start! I'll be checking in tomorrow night!

Day 2:

Woke up feeling pretty good, but crashed really hard between 2 and 3 this afternoon, despite having coffee. This could be from lack of sleep or my body adjusting. 

Breakfast: (repeat of yesterday, I'm a creature of habit) 2 egg omelet with tomatoes, Trader Joe's salsa and homemade guacamole, and a side of fresh kale with a little balsamic vinegar.

Lunch: Kale and mixed green salad with tomato, onions, and salmon. No dressing.

Dinner: 3 eggs scrambled with kale, sauerkraut, tahini, and guacamole. 

Snacks: 1 package of sun maid raisins and 5 cashews

Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, 8oz of kombucha and water, water, water!

Other than being tired after lunch, I felt pretty good today. I'm doing my best to stay hydrated and I haven't felt any headaches. Next step for me is to add working out to my day. I miss exercising and have been coming up with too many excuses as to why I can't (busy schedule, moving, can't wake up early enough, etc.). Tomorrow I will do my best to make it to the gym. 

Have a good night, everyone! See you tomorrow!

Day 3!

Breakfast: My usual 2 egg omelet with tomatoes, (but I added onions!), Trader Joe's salsa and homemade guacamole, and a side of fresh kale with a little balsamic vinegar.

Lunch: Kale and mixed green salad with tomato, onions, and 2 hard boiled eggs. No dressing.

Dinner: Epic Bison bar, 20 cashews.

Drinks: 16oz Gingerade kombucha, 3 cups of coffee, water for dayz.

Did not make it to the gym today :( Will try again for tomorrow. Felt pretty good throughout the day. Dinner was so pathetic because I went right from one job to the other with no chance to grab something substantial. Tomorrow will be a better day!

Day 4! 

So today, I started off feeling pretty good. I got a great nights sleep and felt energized and happy. Then work happened. 

I have two jobs, one in the administrative part of a library and the other as a waitress. Today I had my waitressing gig and all was fine until my last hour when we got fairly busy and the girl I was working with decided she was going to go home. I got a little irritated because I felt that I was being left in the lurch. In retrospect I may of over reacted because of the day 4 struggle of the Whole30. I stayed agitated and grumpy all day. I keep trying to reminding myself that it's probably my body reacting to the change. 

Anyway, here's what I ate...

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet with tomatoes, and Trader Joe's salsa, and a side of fresh kale with a little balsamic vinegar.

Lunch: Mixed green salad with chicken, tomato, asparagus, mushrooms and onions with balsamic vinegar, 10 cashews.

Dinner: Steak, half a sweet potato, salad with tomato and onion and balsamic vinegar.

Snack: 5 almonds and 2 pieces of cantaloup 

Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, 8oz. Original Kombucha, water

I did not make it to the gym but I did manage to hit the yoga mat for half an hour today. I haven't practiced in a while and it felt really good to be back at it. 

Sorry for not posting last night! I ended up spending the night with some friends. Great news is that I was surrounded by junk food all night and I didn't eat any!! Big victory for me!

Day 5:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, kale and tomatoes

Lunch: Salad, tomato, cucumber, portobello mushrooms, avocado, chicken, cashews. Lemon juice dressing.

Dinner: Homemade beef chili with bell peppers and onions, plantain chips.

Snack: Grapes and almond butter. 

Drinks: Kombucha, 3 cups of coffee, water

Had a very late start this morning so I didn't have breakfast and did brunch instead. 

Day 6:

Brunch: 2 eggs, tomato, pesto, potatoes, ham and a little sausage. 

Dinner: Homemade chili, cashews, 1 piece of cantaloup.

Drinks: Water, tea, 2 cups of coffee.

Didn't drink enough water today. 

One week down! Feeling great! 

Day 7:

Breakfast: Applesauce with cinnamon

Lunch: 2 eggs, potatoes, smoked meat

Dinner: Steak, half a sweet potato, kale salad with tomato and onion, apple with almond butter.

Snack: Cashews

Drinks: Water, 2 cups of coffee, tea, and 6oz Kombucha

Day 8:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, kale and tomatoes.

Lunch: Tuna. half an avocado, 20 almonds.

Dinner: Steak, half a sweet potato, kale salad with tomatoes.

Snack: Raisins

Drinks: 1 cup of coffee, water, 6oz kombucha.

I haven't really been talking about my moods lately so I'm going to remedy that right now. I felt very tired throughout this weekend but I think that was also due to the fact that I only got 5-6 hours of sleep. Day 8 I felt pretty good, both about myself and in general, until I got home around 7 and crashed. My other job besides waitressing is as a graduate assistant in a library that is about a hour long commute from my house so I end up having around a 12 hour work day with traffic and everything. So whether I was tired because of my changed eating habit or because of the long day remains to be seen. But I feel that I'm already experiencing positive changes because of my new eating habits. I'm fast approaching the toughest days but I feel confident that I can make it through!

Day 9: 

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 1/4 of an avocado, 2 eggs, kale and tomatoes.

Lunch: Kale salad with tomatoes, onions, steak and 1/4 of an avocado.

Dinner: Steak, 1/2 a sweet potato, kale salad with tomatoes and onions, apples with almond butter.

Snack: Raisins.

Drinks: Water, 1 cup of coffee.

Felt a bit tired today. Shouldn't have had the apples with almond butter at dinner because they weren't part of my meal but acted as a "dessert." I wasn't actually hungry when I decided to have them, but went for it anyway because the steak I had at dinner was too spicey and I wanted to take away the pain that was in my mouth...I'm not a spicey person at all. Also today was a little too heavy on red meat. I need to cook some chicken so I can start using that with my lunch time salad. 

Day 10:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 1/2 of an avocado, 2 eggs, kale and tomatoes.

Lunch: Tuna, half an avocado, 21 almonds.

Dinner: Steak, green beans and carrots, 1/2 sweet potato, 1 tsp. almond butter.

Snack: raisins

Drinks: 1 cup of coffee, water, 6oz Kombucha

I had a lot of fat today between the whole avocado and nuts. I made it through the tenth day, but when I had trouble and ultimately gave up on my last attempt it was around day 15. I'm still going to keep pushing myself to do better. I really craved fruit after dinner but stopped myself from indulging. 

Day 11: 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, kale.

Lunch: 2 eggs, mixed green salad, carrots

Snack: Apple with almond butter

Dinner: Steak, cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing.

Drinks: 16oz kombucha, water, 2 cups of coffee.

Worked out today for the first time in forever and it felt great! Plus I did 12,000 steps today with my fitbit. Can't wait to hit the gym again tomorrow...if my legs will function after todays leg day.  :P

Day 12: 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, tomatoes.

Lunch: Mixed greens, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, steak. Olive oil and balsamic dressing.

Dinner: Cashews, RXbar--apple cinnamon. 

Snack: Banana and almond butter.

Drinks: Water, 3 cups of coffee.

I took a five mile walk/run this morning and did almost 20,000 steps with my fitbit.

Also I went out with my friends to a bar and to see a band and I didn't drink at all! Whole30 power!

Day 13: 

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, and kale.

Lunch: Tuna, half an avocado, 20 almonds, tomatoes, carrots, and onions.

Dinner: Cod, peas with lemon juice, 1/2 a sweet potato.

Snack: Apple, 15 almonds.

Drinks: 1 cup of coffee, 1 cup of decaf coffee, chamomile tea, water.

During the last two days I have felt the predicted burst of energy and it's been amazing. I've also been taking long walks so to try and be more active. My goal is to keep reaching the 10,000 step marker on my fitbit each day. I had a slight craving for a donut hole earlier but resisted of course. I once again went out with my friends, and it may just be me being paranoid...but I think some of them felt slightly uncomfortable that I wasn't drinking which was surprising to me. But I still had a great time without alcohol! 

Also, I'm starting to fit better in some of my clothes  :D

I hope this great energy and motivation continue! Almost halfway!

Day 14: 

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, and kale.

Lunch: Cashews

Dinner: 1/2 a piece of steak, 1/4 cup of applesauce.

Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, water, 6oz. kombucha.

I did not do well eating today. Yes, I stayed compliant, but I did not eat nearly enough. I worked brunch and then stayed out with work friends after and kept insisting I was fine and didn't need food, when in reality I was practically fasting. Then, when I finally got home at 8:45, I was super exhausted and just had a little steak and apple sauce to hold me over until the next morning. I felt pretty good throughout the day, despite starving myself. I will do better tomorrow!

Day 15:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, Trader Joe's salsa, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts and radicchio salad mix with 1/2 an avocado, raisins, and chicken.

Dinner: Steak, brussel sproats, cucumber and tomato salad with olive oil and balsamic dressing.

Drinks: 3 cups of coffee, water.

I was super grumpy today, but that could have been because it was Monday and I was tired. Got my 10,000 steps in today and yesterday (forgot to mention that). I've realized that I don't miss the not compliant food anymore. The only thing I miss is alcohol, but I hardly drank anymore before I started the round. I think that's the one thing I might add back in once I'm done with this round, but only on occassion. Feels great to be at the halfway marker! 

Congrats you're half way there! Only two more weeks to go and you're golden! 

Your meal plans by the way sound super good! All awesome healthy stuff!

Something I really recommend is I watched Sugar Coated on Netflix half way through my Whole30.

Really got me thing about sugars and makes me want to stay away from them.

Thought maybe to pass it on to you :)

Thanks Kimmeh! I'll totally check it out! I love watching documentaires about food and it's effects. Hungry for Change is one of my favorites. 

Day 16:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, Trader Joe's salsa, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Kale, cabbage, broccoli, brussels sprouts and radicchio salad mix with 1/2 an avocado, raisins, and chicken.

Dinner: Blueberry RxBar, banana and almond butter, almond. Too much fat for this "meal." Also, this wasn't a real dinner. Once again, life got in the way.

Snack: baby carrots

I was a bit crabby today again, but I think it's for lady reasons, not Whole30 reasons. Great news is that I'm sleeping so much better now! I used to have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, but I have had the deepest sleep over the last few nights and have woken up feeling very refreshed. Also, my clothes are fitting so much better! I think I've definitely started to lose the weight I had gained this past spring.  :D

Day 17:

Lunch: Almonds, raisins, carrots and blueberry Rxbar.

Dinner: 3 pieces of roasted potato, red beets, grilled green beans, onions, green peppers and brussel sprouts.

Didn't do very well on my meals today. Had too much fat and not enough protein. 

A little late on this posting. Day 17 was horrible for me. And I don't have an excuse except that I was lazy...and we all know that's no real excuse. So here go..

Day 17: 

Breakfast: 2 eggs, kale and tomatoes.

Lunch: Raisins, almonds.

Dinner: Cashews, almond butter and grapes.

Drinks: (not enough) water, camomile tea and 1 cup of coffee. 

And since I'm so late in posting yesterday, I'm throwing in today as well.

Day 18:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Cucumber and tomato salad, chicken.

Dinner: Grapes, raisins, raw sunflower seeds and pepitas.

Snack: Apple with almond butter.

Day 19:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, trader joe's salsa, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Raisins and an apple.

Dinner: Veggie mix (beets, cauliflower, green beans, onions, green peppers, steamed kale) and cashews.

Drinks: 1 cup of coffee, water, Mango Kombucha. 

I have gotten WAY too lazy. I'll step of my A game this week. 

Looking back at my log, I realized I counted day 17 twice. So I'm actually on Day 21 instead of 20. I should have paid more attention, my bad.

Day 21:

Breakfast: Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Blueberry Rxbar, grapes with almond butter.

Dinner: Pork chop, 1 tsp. unsweetened applesauce, sweet potato fries. 

Drinks: water, 2 cups of coffee.

I have had more energy lately, but definitely not feeling as much of the tiger blood as I did my first round. I don't have as many cravings and my clothes are fitting better. That said, I have reached the point where I'm not particularly excited about the food I'm eating (as was predicted in the timeline). But I could also just be grumpy and tired because of PMS.

Day 22:

Breakfast: Chicken and Apple sausage, 2 eggs, trader joe's salsa, tomatoes, and kale.

Lunch: Mixed green salad with tomatoes, carrots, chicken and grapes.

Dinner: Steak, 1/2 a sweet potato and an apple with almond butter.

Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, water.

Definitely had a case of the Monday's today. I was just super spent from the weekend. I also think my period is definitely coming because I feel bloated, tired and cranky. Gotta love being a girl. First day in a while that I had 3 actual meals so I'm proud of that. 

Archived