Lower heart rate a common result?

I'm on day 15 and I haven't noticed a lot of side effects from the program yet. The only thing I have seen is my heart rate has gone down significantly. In just the first week my resting heart rate went from around 70 to 61 and seems to only be decreasing a little bit more and more. I'm assuming that's a good sign that my heart requires less work to keep me stable, but I didn't remember reading this as a non-scale win in the book so I just wanted to check in and see if this was something people experience. Thanks!

Hey there! I am about a week out of my first Whole30. My resting heart rate prior to Whole30 was 80+ (much higher than it used to be). I have been wearing a Garmin vivosmart HR since last week, and my average resting heart rate is now 65. Pretty significant drop, if you ask me, and I didn't change anything other than my diet for Whole30.

Not sure if it's common, but I was shocked by this too! Better diet DOES lead to better cardiovascular health - that much is known from all the studies done - so there is some science behind the thought process, though I haven't seen any studies linking this change in diet to lower heart rate.

Archived