Best Grain

Hi! Im currently on day 6 of my Whole 30, Im doing it with my brother who just started today. He asked me to post on here for him because he wasn't sure what his best option is. We are Jewish and my brother is orthodox. On Friday evenings we have Shabbat dinner and its necessary to consume some bread for the prayer. My brother was wondering which grain from these: barley, rye, oat, wheat, or spelt, is better to use to make the bread so its not as bad as white challah bread.

Unless you know that a specific grain bothers you more or less than others then it's difficult to say which might be 'less bad'....

That said, Melissa gave the response below to an observant Jew asking something similar on her 'Do I Really Have To Start Over' blog post:

If you are eating bread and drinking wine on a weekly basis, you are not experiencing the full benefits of the program. However, your faith/God > Whole30 rules, and we would never ask you to compromise your beliefs. You can still see benefit from the protocol while consuming small amounts of off-plan foods–the program is still totally worthwhile.

Best,
Melissa

Archived