My first whole 30

Haysmith91

I am starting my first Whole 30 on Saturday, July 28. I have suffered from Hidradenitis Suppurativa for about 6 years. It's a painful and embarrassing skin condition and it's left me physically, emotionally, and mentally exhausted. I believe my diet is the cause and that the Whole 30 can reverse my condition. I try to eat generally Paleo, but I think I need this kick-start to help me form habits and learn more about how to live my life eating foods that will keep me healthy. I'm going to spend this week preparing my kitchen and my mind to take this on. I also want to make the bone broth and basic mayo from the book as a little practice so I know what's coming. I'm looking forward to the challenge!

Yesterday I cleared out my kitchen/cabinets as much as possible before I start my Whole 30. I stocked up on some cooking fats. Today I'm going to pick up dried spices/herbs and a whole chicken so I can try cooking it in my crock pot. It may sound easy, but if I know myself at all I'll run into issues with simple cooking tasks!! I'm really looking forward to learning and practicing basic cooking techniques during my 30 days. I think it will be really beneficial. Tomorrow I'm going to make broth from the bones.

I roasted a whole chicken for the first time yesterday. It came out perfect but I'm glad I tried it before I start my Whole30 on Saturday. I removed all the meat and am going to take a stab at bone broth today. Today is also my shopping day for days 1-3! I already have a lot (all this chicken, frozen veggies, some fresh veggies with a long shelf life, spices and herbs, and oils.) I made a whole calendar yesterday for the entire 30 days but am going to actually plan my meals as I go - so I can use leftovers and supplies on hand as needed. Really relieved I'm taking the time to slowly prepare.

Today is day 1! I'm prepared for challenges - I went to a wedding last night and drank too much (alcohol is one thing I'm really looking forward to giving up, but I'm also aware that it will likely be the hardest for me - most of my social life revolves around alcohol, and I'm ready to change that) so I'm feeling a little hungover. I had 3 scrambled eggs, veggies, and 1/2 avocado for breakfast, but I'm worried that I'll start craving greasy hangover food soon. Also, a few good friends are visiting from out of town tonight...not the ideal time to be on day 1 BUT I really don't want to let the this make me a less fun person, so I'm going to go out and enjoy their company and not worry about the fact that I'm not drinking.

Day 1

1 - 3 scrambled eggs, carrots, 1/2 avocado

2 - 3 pieces grilled chicken over salad w/ basic mayo and lemon juice, 1/2 avocado

S - grapes

3 - 3 pieces grilled chicken, broccoli, 1/2 avocado

Picked a bad day to start. I'm at my parents house and made sure they had compliant food but it's nothing exciting (just eggs, chicken, veggies, no sauces except basic mayo, and only avocado for fat). I learned today that I need to mix up my meals - I want a different source of protein for each meal and at least two different types of fat because by the time meal 3 came around I was less than enthused about chicken and avocado. I feel good physically, although I found the meals were hard to finish. I guess I'm used to eating smaller portions more often throughout the day. I got cranky in late afternoon, and I'm about to go test my willpower - going to the bar with friends. I feel like I'll be no fun but I'll do my best to put on a good face. Pushing through - I believe it's worth it!

Day 2

M1: 2 fried eggs, carrots, ½ avocado

S: prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe

M2: roasted chicken breast, cauliflower rice w/ lemon juice, handful of olives

M3: chicken soup (vegetable broth, yellow and green squash, carrots, celery, chicken, turmeric, spices) + a piece of cantaloupe

Much more emotionally stable today lol. I think it's because I spent most of the day alone reading the new Harry Potter book - I didn't have anyone around me to annoy me! Was really surprised at how cranky I was yesterday. Didn't really crave anything off plan today - was really excited about the meals I had planned today. Hardest thing so far for me is to sit down and eat without playing on my phone or putting on the tv. Trying to practice not getting distracted during mealtime. Also struggling to incorporate fats - avocado is my only good idea for a side but even that gets a little boring. I think I need to start getting more creative with sauces for meals. 2 successful weekend days in a row - time to test my weekday will power this week!

Day 3

1-3 fried eggs, broccoli and cauliflower

2-Chicken breast, broccoli and cauliflower, 2 hard boiled eggs

S-Apple w/ almond butter and green tea

S-mug of bone broth

3-leftover chicken soup

1.25 miles on treadmill

Today was a breeze for me. With the exception of a little bloating around 10am between breakfast and lunch - I felt great and no cravings at all. I don't want to get too ahead of myself though, I'm sure there will be difficulties in the coming days - still a long way to go!

Day 4 - Tuesday

1-3 fried eggs, broccoli and cauliflower

*2 cups black coffee

2-leftover soup

*prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe

*cup of bone broth

3-salmon, cauliflower rice, sweet potato

Felt all around great today, except I felt bloated around 10:30 after coffee - happened yesterday after coffee too...hmm...that would be depressing to give up.

Dinner was AWESOME!!! So happy I took the time to cook. Also prepped a ton tonight. I was dying to get home after work to spend some time in the kitchen!

Whole30 Day 5

M1: leftover soup

*2 cups coffee

M2: protein salad over spinach (canned chicken, basic mayo, grapes, sliced almonds, celery, onion)

M3: salmon, ½ avocado, cauliflower rice

Workout: 1 mile on treadmill (easing back into it - not easy after surgery!)

Not bloated today after coffee…yay! I didn’t have eggs for breakfast, so maybe it’s eggs? Or maybe it was just my body adjusting during the first few days. Felt really great for the most part today…energized, focused, and almost no social anxiety (I usually deal with this quite a bit). I don’t want to Kill All the Things…but I did get a bit of a headache/hazy feeling towards the end of the day. It almost comparable to dehydration but I drank a ton of water so I don’t think that’s actually the cause. Still just adjusting I think!

• Moderators

If I were going to guess what caused the bloating, my prime suspect would be the broccoli and cauliflower. Cruciferous vegetables are pretty notorious for causing gas and bloating. Many people find it's less bad when the vegetables are cooked really, really well, or when they limit them somewhat -- I personally can eat them at a meal every other day, occasionally two days in a row isn't bad, but if I had them every day, especially at multiple meals on some of those days, I'd be pretty miserable. Some people do react to eggs, so it could be that as well, but sometime you could try eggs with other vegetables, or you could try the broccoli and cauliflower with other protein, and see if you react to either one individually.

If I were going to guess what caused the bloating, my prime suspect would be the broccoli and cauliflower. Cruciferous vegetables are pretty notorious for causing gas and bloating. Many people find it's less bad when the vegetables are cooked really, really well, or when they limit them somewhat -- I personally can eat them at a meal every other day, occasionally two days in a row isn't bad, but if I had them every day, especially at multiple meals on some of those days, I'd be pretty miserable. Some people do react to eggs, so it could be that as well, but sometime you could try eggs with other vegetables, or you could try the broccoli and cauliflower with other protein, and see if you react to either one individually.

Didn't know that, good to know! I'll try to use other veggies see what happens. Thanks!

Day 6 - Thursday

1-2 eggs, broccoli and cauliflower, 1/4 avocado

*cup of coffee

*cup of green tea

2-chicken salad over spinach, 2 hb eggs, 1/4 avocado

*apple with almond butter

3-salmon (got home late from kickball, didn't eat this til around 9:45pm and wasn't very hungry at that point)

Today was a bit of a struggle for me. I woke up feeling awesome, energized, focused. Then I my breakfast and got full when I wasn't even half way done with my meal. No big deal, I thought (I ate it all anyway), but then I got really hungry and tired around 10:30am. I also got really pessimistic, thinking why am I even doing this? I haven't felt negative about the whole30 since Day 1...so that was a little disappointing. THEN I went back to read the Whole30 timeline and read what it had to say about Day 6. It's literally exactly how I feel...I couldn't have said it better myself. "As the day drags on, your desk is morphing from hard wooden surface to snuggly warm pillow right before your eyes." --> YES. I'm trying to embrace the challenge and knowing that I'm aligned with the expected timeline makes me feel like I'm doing it right. The first few days I didn't follow the timeline at all...no crankiness (aside from Day 1), no sugar dragon, no difficult-to-ignore cravings. I hoped I hit the Tiger Blood phase early and it was just going to feel like this the whole time. I had a kickball game after work so distracting myself and doing something active made me feel energized and I lost all my negative feelings.

Day 7 - Friday

1-3 eggs, tomato, 1/4 avocado

*2 cups coffee

2-salmon, spinach, tomato, 2 hb eggs, 1/4 avocado

*green tea

3-chicken breast, roasted veggies

Tired. Boston for the weekend with my girlfriends. Clubs, restaurants, bars...wish me luck!! #givemeavodkasodaNOW

W30 D8
M1: chicken sausage, 3 hb eggs, 1/4 avocado
*2 cups black coffee
*fruit bowl
M2: chicken salad
*dried pineapple
M3: turkey burger, peppers, 1/4 avocado

Traveling while Whole 30-ing is tough!! But I feel great and resisted sooo many temptations. It's actually nice to have so many things distracting me from eating. Being sober while your friends are drinking/drunk isn't awesome...got a little irritable at the end of the night. Felt amazing this morning while all of my friends were hungover lol! #winning

Day 9 - Sunday
1 - 4 hb eggs, 1/2 avocado, peppers
*black coffee
*some bites of spicy dill pickles, some sips of cashew milk (farmer's market)
*Lara bar
2 - chicken salad
*compliant raspberry sorbet with pineapple (special occasion)

So today was a little wacky because I was traveling, we hit up a farmer's market and I tasted a few things there and had a Lara bar when my friends got lunch so I ate my second meal late and went to bed early so didn't have third meal. Although I was compliant, I didn't have three full meals and I should've had more protein and veggies so I'm hoping my body doesn't have a negative reaction to the lack of nutrients. Oh well, back to normal tomorrow!

Week 1 observations:

- Circulation better (day 4)
- Focused at work (day 4-5)
- Less social anxiety (day 5)
- Increased patience, mainly in kitchen
- Hunger not consistent (day 6-growling between breakfast and lunch, not hungry for dinner)

So far it hasn't been very difficult aside from days 1 and 6, and those weren't even that bad. I'm really motivated and actually having a lot of fun with it. I spent the weekend in Boston with girlfriends and embraced the challenge (meal prepped, resisted temptation - alcohol was especially difficult). I learned that things never go as planned while traveling and I had to go with the flow a few times which meant sacrificing my perfect plate template but trying my best. I actually think it was good practice for #lifeafterwhole30 - I can't plan every last minute of my day, so I just have to roll with the punches.

Week 2 goals:
- Switch up meats (poultry, fish, red meats), feels like I'm eating just chicken all the time
- more fat at each meal
- go running 3x

Day 10

M1: chicken sausage, 2 eggs, spinach with olive oil and lemon juice
*black coffee
M2: chicken and veggies (in chicken fat)
*green tea
M3: beef burger, 1/2 mashed avocado over romaine lettuce with ranch dressing
*seltzer

Workout: 1.5 miles on treadmill

Felt great about my choices today. After eating compliant food this weekend but not necessarily template meals (definitely not enough veggies or fat) I was relieved to get back on track today. I felt satisfied all day and I'm finding it increasingly easier and appealing to choose healthy drinks in between meals instead of snacking.

Day 12

M1: chicken sausage, 2 eggs, spinach with ranch
*2 cups of coffee
M2: chicken soup, raspberries
*lara bar (cashew cookie = heaven)
M3: beef burger, avocado over romaine with ranch

Couldn't stop looking in the mirror today - skin is so clear.

Day 13 - Thursday 8/11
M1: frittata-2 eggs, chicken sausage, spinach with a side of 1/4 avocado
*1 cup coffee
M2: salad-chicken, avocado, spinach with ranch
*lara bar, seltzer (2:30)
*another Lara bar (5:30)
M3: turkey burger, sautéed onions, 1/2 avocado over romaine with ranch
*seltzer

I had a Lara bar around 5:30 (after I already had one as a snack at 2:30). Glad I stayed compliant but I'm not sure I was even hungry, it felt binge-y. I really wanted to go get a giant bag of smart food or goldfish and eat the whole thing. I guess it'll take a while to break that kind of craving.

Day 14 - Friday 8/12
M1: chicken Apple sausage, 2 eggs, spinach with ranch and avocado
*2 cups coffee
*lara bar
*selzter
M3: chicken Apple sausage, 2 eggs, cucumber with ranch

Day 15 - Saturday 8/13
M1: chicken Apple sausage, 2 eggs, cucumber with ranch
*2 cups coffee
*seltzer