I DID it!

Tess21

My life before Whole 30 was messy. My stress levels were high and I was haunted by “what-ifs.” My pain levels too were high; my psoriatic arthritis was waging war on my ankle and winning every battle. The pain and swelling shot into my toes (which I could not bend or flex) and into my shin. It was this pain that caused me pause. There was more pain throughout my body, but the ankle pain was truly scary because it flared so quickly. I also had psoriatic lesions over the majority of my extremities with some lesions on my scalp, trunk, and other places (I actually have a lesion inside my nose! Super gross).

In December 2015, my doctor recommended I do a metabolic reboot. It was a two-week elimination diet to regulate my liver enzymes that were elevated. This wasn’t the first time my doctor had warned me about the high liver enzymes and it wasn’t the first time I’d been prescribed an elimination diet. So, I embarked on another diet, just before the holidays, and still it didn’t suffice. Upon the New Year, I decided to do my own research and I found the Nom Nom Paleo app. My husband and I really enjoyed Michelle Tam’s recipes and followed them to the best of our foodie adventure natures would allow until we slipped and fell again into chocolate cake (or was it a drive through window?). It wasn’t a failure though because something I read in Nom Nom Paleo app stuck with me: Whole30.

Thus, the research into Whole30 began during a highly busy time at my job. I made time to read about the challenge and took time too to imagine what my experience might be. It was a positive forward-thinking not unlike the stressful “what-if-ing”. I imagined myself eating wholesome delicious foods. I prepped for about a month and even delayed my start date by a week to be fully prepared.

Life on Whole30 absolutely flew by. My experience was fairly text-book; I recall following along in the book on what I would be experiencing in the first week. Funny thing is that now I cannot recall that struggle at all! The food portions were large enough that I felt satisfied and I wasn’t often hungry between meals unless I forgot to add a fat to the previous meal. I learned so many delicious new recipes and never once had food boredom. Of course, I craved some foods, but I never caved. Now I honestly do not know how I would manage an “old me” typical food. As my three-year old might say, “that tastes gross, that’s disgusting.” I liked my sugary, carb-rich foods prior to Whole30. Now when I eat a sweet potato or carrot, I can absolutely taste the sugar content. So, I am going to go very easy when I reintroduce foods.

Textbook case that I am, my Whole30 journey is continuing on. I considered this might be the case for me as I have had an autoimmune disease for 35 years when I started Whole30. I am determined to see it through. To do this, I am digging very deep into my determination resources and they are less than adequate. Timelines and rules work well for me. I looked back on my life when I have had to use determination to progress through a task and the two times I can really see that accomplishment were college and nursing my daughters. Nursing was an enormous challenge considering lack of support to nursing mothers. Yet, despite the negativity, I was Determined (with a capital D) to give my babies the best nutrition nature would allow. And I set up a timeframe. If I can do 1 week, I can do 2 weeks. 2 weeks? I can do a whole month. A whole month? Let’s try for 3 months. This way, I was able to nurse one baby for 12 months and another for 18 months.

With that same sense of Determination, I am implementing an Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) into my Whole30, however, I am going easy on myself. There are moments when I get really sad about this and I think “why me?” And then I change the inflection: “Why NOT me?!” Why should I not eat well and treat my body with really good, delicious food? I am worthy of eating food that doesn’t harm me. I have two little girls and a husband who I love unconditionally and they deserve to have me present and healthy.

Although I am continuing my Whole30, I have made a great deal of progress. My skin is clearer, my pain and swelling have improved, my cravings have subsided, and my sleep is so very dreamy. Sleep is beautiful on Whole30. Now that I sleep so well, I treated myself to black-out curtains. Sleep scheduling is still challenging, but has become a priority; getting 8 hours of sleep each night is now my comfort food.

WOOHOO!!! Congratulations! Great work! I'm so excited for you!

I think this is my favorite part:

Although I am continuing my Whole30, I have made a great deal of progress. My skin is clearer, my pain and swelling have improved, my cravings have subsided, and my sleep is so very dreamy. Sleep is beautiful on Whole30. Now that I sleep so well, I treated myself to black-out curtains. Sleep scheduling is still challenging, but has become a priority; getting 8 hours of sleep each night is now my comfort food.

I'm staying mostly compliant as well going forward. I forgot my protein today :( so making a quick run to the grocery store for some prosciutto, and post-Whole30 Staggolee made sure to check ingredients and availability before leaving for the store. :)

Archived