Day 29 -- Newbies hang in there!

skeslack

It is hard to believe how fast 30 days went by now when the first two weeks seemed to drag.  I felt compelled to write a quick note about my non-scale victories because the last 4-5 days of my Whole30 are when those became abundantly clear.  You really do just have to hang in there until something "clicks" suddenly and the whole thing gets easier, food tastes better, and life is more enjoyable.  Here is my list of NSV's but not in any particular order.

1. Increased energy that stays CONSISTENT all day!  No more highs and lows with afternoon and eventually no coffee to help me with those late day crashes.  I have consistently high energy all day long.
  2. Increased productivity at home because of my better energy level.  I prep, cook, clean, workout, do housework, knit, read, etc, and work over 40 hours per week.  Getting off Facebook has helped me a lot, too, but I think before I quit I was on it a lot because I was so tired at the end of the day, surfing the Internet was the same as sitting in front of a TV all night.  My increased energy level means I'm not eager to sit and veg at the end of my day.
  3. Tired and ready for bed earlier than I have been in a long time.  Having more energy to be more productive all day means I'm actually tired and ready for sleep at a decent time.  I haven't gone to bed before 10pm in years and just in the last week or so I've been genuinely tired and ready for sleep by 9:30pm and I honor that need instead of pushing through it.
  4. NO cravings for COFFEE!  Zero coffee for 30 days with no headaches and no fatigue.  I haven't gone that long without coffee in 10 years and I feel great!  No need to start drinking it again at all!
  5. Sugar cravings are WAY down.  I used to crave gummy candy like crazy because of the candida in my gut.  No more! 
  6. I have had zero interest in chocolate this entire month--that is unheard of for me!
  7. Loving my time in the kitchen prepping no, cooking, and cleaning.  I think of it now as self-care and meditative time.  It is fun to try to cook new things and I take great pride and joy in my neat, clean kitchen and refrigerator full of good nutritious food.
  8. Becoming a better cook!  It is a long-standing joke that my father thinks I can't cook but even he said Im becoming a better cook!
  9. NO canker sores!!!  This is like a miracle!  I almost ALWAYS have a canker sore and I just realized today that I have had no ethics entire 30 days.  
  10. This week I think my skin is finally turning around.  I have bad adult acne that is worse with my period.  I started the Whole30 on my period and I'm ending on it, but the difference in my skin is like night and day.  When I started I went through a pretty bad detox phase where my face was a terrible mess just after starting the Whole30 on top of the hormones from my period.  This week, I have a couple of blemishes, but nothing like the painful, thick pussy sores of week one.
  11. Food. Tastes. Delicious.  Just a snow pea pod or a slice of red bell pepper is like the most delicious sweet treat on the planet.  And avocado?  Better than chocolate!  Olives?  Mmmmm....don't even get me started.  A juicy steak, roasted brussell sprouts, steamed asparagus....the list of deliciousness goes on.  A snow pea pod had never tasted as good as it did two nights ago at my parents house. This change in my taste buds has definitely been in just the last 4 days or so and I love it.  Just the thought of several of my past favorite sweet treats makes me feel a little sick to my stomach, as though I can already tell it would make me sick.

I'm thrilled with my NSV's and not really even concerned with the scale at this point.  My clothes fit comfortably, my husband likes how I look, and I feel strong and energetic.  Hang in there newbies.  It really is worth it and the positive things that click in just the last few days are worth the effort!   Thank you Whole30!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/8/2016 at 11:31 PM, skeslack said:
  1. Food. Tastes. Delicious.  Just a snow pea pod or a slice of red bell pepper is like the most delicious sweet treat on the planet.  And avocado?  Better than chocolate!  Olives?  Mmmmm....don't even get me started.  A juicy steak, roasted brussell sprouts, steamed asparagus....the list of deliciousness goes on.  A snow pea pod had never tasted as good as it did two nights ago at my parents house. This change in my taste buds has definitely been in just the last 4 days or so and I love it.  Just the thought of several of my past favorite sweet treats makes me feel a little sick to my stomach, as though I can already tell it would make me sick.

Love this!  Thanks for the inspiration!  I'm on day 2 of my second.  

• 3 months later...

THANK YOU for the encouragement. I am on day 4 and feel like I have been hit by a truck and ran over a few times. I am really really really sick. But I'm doing it!!!! I have a check off sheet of the days and it feels so good at the end of the day to make a check mark. At this point that is all that is pulling me through is just knowing I can make that mark at the end of the day and it's fun to see them add up. Thanks for letting me know there is more to look forward to than just check marks.

Thank you so much for this post!!  I'm at the end of day 5 and want to quit.  I know this sounds silly.   I actually LOVE the meals.  The daily cooking is not what I'm used to.  So, I'm actually going to give the food prep tips a better try.  I had no idea how much junk I grazed on behind my 2 boys.  It's strange because I've smelled the goldfish or cheeze-its and they smell disgusting but I'm dying to eat a few.  I know this is a craving.  Is the 'tiger-blood' real??  Just feels like a lot of work right now.  The good news is I have not had the sugar headaches, or really any headaches.  Anyway, thanks so much for this post.  25 more days feels forever away...right now. 

Archived