stronger hair and nails?

VirginiaKate

Hi everyone, I am on day 26 and got my first comment from a work colleague about how I was sporting a "new look," which on clarification meant I was looking slimmer and healthier.  I knew the slimmer part was working, because my pants are super loose, but it was nice to hear the others can see the results too.

It is very clear that eliminating something has worked wonders for me.  I worked out like a maniac, restricted calories, and never could budge the scale.  Other things were bumpy/rough skin, thinning hair, brittle nails, and disappearing eyebrows.  I have been on mild thyroid meds to treat mild hypothyroidism (basically to get me to the levels they recommend for women who are pregnant), but now I'm wondering if it was something else causing the hair loss, fatigue, etc.  My eyebrows are filling in like crazy -- like I don't have to fill them in manually in order to look like i have them -- and my nails are super strong.  This is such an unanticipated bonus, but it makes me super fearful of adding back in whatever it was that was causing the bad reactions in the future.  I have an endo appointment in about a week and a half, but my doctor is ... not great at the talking.  

I think this is a roundabout way of expressing fear of reintroduction because I don't want to undo my results.

Are you eating a lot differently to how you ate before? A lot more veg? A lack of key minerals such as potassium, zinc, calcium, iron & magnesium can be the cause for hair loss/thinning...

Great that people are seeing the changes in you!!

I am not.  I have always been a very veggie heavy eater as I am a former/"recovering" vegetarian.  The biggest thing that was cut out of my diet for this is really beans, grains, and dairy.  That is what makes me think something was blocking absorption or something.  I will just reintroduce things as I "want" them and see how it goes.  Thanks for the brainstorming.

Gluten can have a significant impact on thyroid function, specifically with Hashimotos. Check this out https://chriskresser.com/the-gluten-thyroid-connection/

When you cut out the offender, your body stops attacking what it thinks is another offender  (your thyroid) and your thyroid symptoms can significantly improve. Many on meds can lower their dose or go off after a certain period of time. It's important to get tested regularly and adjust as needed so you don't go hyper. I'm willing to bet that's part of your body's changes! Your doctor may not recognize that, though...

Archived