Can I just say...

I now understand why so many rave about Mel Joulwan's salmon cakes. I don't think they're gonna make it past breakfast tomorrow. I may have to make a double batch later. 

Also, I'm in the midst of the "I don't want to keep going" part of whole 30 but my husband keeps reminding I will disappoint myself if I don't complete it. I took yesterday as an "easy" day with a whole foods compliant chicken and some broccoli slaw from TJ's and a bit of Tessamae's but I'm back! I still don't want to cook but that one day of not cooking much helped. 

I agree with you on the salmon cakes - super delish!  Have you made the tartar sauce to go on top of them...even better!  

Did you find canned sweet potatoes that were compliant?  I could not, so I used canned carrots and mashed them up.  Do you think canned pumpkin would be good in place of the sweet potatoes?

Down here in the south, all of the canned sweet potatoes or yams have pure cane sugar in them, so they're a no go.  

I hear you on the cooking, but I'm getting used to it.  I try to make some extras so that if I don't want to eat what I planned for, I have a backup.  

Don't give up...it will be worth the benefits at the end!

• Moderators

@Gigi In NOLA I've heard of people using canned pumpkin in the salmon cakes and it was fine. I usually just bake a sweet potato or two, take the skin off, and mash them up to use. Carrots sound like they'd be a good option too. Really, any sort of dense veggie that will mash to about that texture should work well, so any root veggie really.

I actually found some organic ones at whole foods a while ago. Maybe look at a health store or sprouts? Don't forget to look in the baking aisle too. Sweet potato pie is pretty popular depending where in the south you are. 

Im not a fan of tartar sauce so I didn't make any. And I didn't have any old bay so I used cumin. I ought to make a tahini sauce to go with them too. It's back to the normal grind for dinner tonight. A day without cooking was pretty good for me

Archived