Full week of travel

ChristyJ

I'll be traveling from Mom-Fri during the second full week of my 2nd round.  I'm in Rochester, NY for a couple of days, then Buffalo, NY.  Anyone know any good places around that area?

I'll be able to bring a cooler bag and have requested fridges at both hotels.  The only thing I'm really worried about is that I'll be attending a training for two of the days where they'll have lunch, and there might be an expectation that I'll go out to dinner one night.

I plan on bringing cut up veggies, guac, olives, hard boiled eggs and fruit along with a bar of two (just in case).  Any other ideas?  I could probably bring salad stuff, esp some compliant dressing.

A recent trip I took (to Rochester coincidentally), I took a large cooler because I was packing for 3 people. 

I took: A large salad, HB eggs, meatballs, cooked Italian sausage, cut up veggies (carrots, cucumber, peppers, lots of cherry tomatoes, snap peas), a container of strawberries and blueberries, a jar of mayo, roasted sweet potatoes, apples, cans of tuna but we didn't need them. We ate at 5 guys in Rochester one time (note: I wasn't whole30ing officially, but I noticed the place is crawling with peanut oil, so I would check about that...) there is a TJs in Rochester. If I were you I'd take as much as I could and continue to top up from the grocery stores. 

On September 1, 2016 at 4:50 PM, ChristyJ said:

I'll be traveling from Mom-Fri during the second full week of my 2nd round.  I'm in Rochester, NY for a couple of days, then Buffalo, NY.  Anyone know any good places around that area?

I'll be able to bring a cooler bag and have requested fridges at both hotels.  The only thing I'm really worried about is that I'll be attending a training for two of the days where they'll have lunch, and there might be an expectation that I'll go out to dinner one night.

I plan on bringing cut up veggies, guac, olives, hard boiled eggs and fruit along with a bar of two (just in case).  Any other ideas?  I could probably bring salad stuff, esp some compliant dressing.

I just got back from four days at an offsite in the Arkansas mountains. The organizer was really great about taking my laundry list of needs (I was far from the only one on restrictions like no dairy and no gluten/carbs), and the hotel provided great protein/veggie meals and salads. I got a container of coconut milk and kept it in my fridge to use for coffee. 

By far the hardest part for me was the mental "hit" of walking into the opening night cocktail reception and closing night party. Having grown up on food stamps, to this day I have a hard time saying no to free fancy food and wine! But I'd been mentally preparing myself for a week beforehand, and after a few minutes where I was wavering, I just grabbed a bottle of water and found a conversation to join. People didn't comment on my non drinking, and I did the same thing on the final night. Coming home having made it through was the *best* feeling, and worth the struggle. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I just returned from an 8-day business trip.  I stayed in two hotels - both had refrigerators.  I brought a good knife and a few kitchen items.  Following my arrival at the first city, I went to Walmart and bought a $13 slow cooker and lots of fresh Whole 30 compliant food from a great market.  I included some spices as well to upgrade my meals.  I made WONDERFUL one pot meals each evening for that allowed me to stick to the diet 100% (and really enjoy the process).  :)

Archived