My First Whole30

nicolemalena

Hi all! I started the September Whole30 on Labor Day. Here's how it's gone so far:

Day 1 Brunch: The previous night I had a few too many beers (guilty!) I planned to do my food shopping in the morning since I'd been gone all weekend with family for Labor Day. The first thing I put in my mouth was gum. I realized a few hours later what I had done. Yikes...

After getting home from Whole Foods I made breakfast: yellow potatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, and spinach sauteed in olive oil with two over easy eggs and some Frank's Red Hot sauce.

Day 1 Dinner: Riced cauliflower sauteed with a white onion, garlic and fresh herbs with a large piece of wild caught salmon with lemon and dill. (SO GEWD.)

---

Day 2 Breakfast: yellow potatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, and spinach sauteed in olive oil with two over easy eggs and some Frank's Red Hot sauce.

Day 2 Lunch: Wild Planet tuna with red bell pepper, red onion, and lemon juice on romaine lettuce leaves with an apple and about a tablespoon of almond butter.

Day 2 Dinner: Grass-fed beef stew with yellow potatoes, carrots, onion, and herbs.

----

Day 3 Breakfast: yellow potatoes, red bell pepper, red onion, and spinach sauteed in olive oil with two over easy eggs and some Frank's Red Hot sauce. (I'm a breakfast repeater, it's just easier!)

Day 3 Lunch: Wild Planet tuna with red bell pepper, red onion, and lemon juice on romaine lettuce leaves with an apple.I forgot my almond butter :(

Pre-work out snack: 1 hard boiled egg, about a tablespoon of smoked salmon and 1 avocado

Day 3 dinner with a bowl of the beef stew. Tomorrow night I'm making grilled chicken with tostones and probably some frozen veggies.

---

I post a lot of photos of my meals on instagram: @nicolemalenaphoto

My thoughts: So far I'm not a fan of the Wild Planet tuna. I assume adding Whole30 or Tessemae's mayo makes it a little tastier. On Day 2 I felt like I had a hangover. I got a migraine at about 7:30 AM. I get frequent migraines, a few times a year where they last about a week at a time, visual auras and sometimes my left or right arm will go numb. I assumed I would get migraines or headaches when changing my diet. Today (day 3) I feel pretty darn good. My eyes don't feel puffy like they usually do and I DON'T FEEL BLOATED OR GASSY! This was chronic for me, but I thought nothing of it.

I'm feeling very positive so far, although my bank account is cringing at me. Eating healthy is expensive, but I am saving money by not eating out or buying boxed wine (please don't just me :lol:)

Archived