Lara bars; wiser now

Jon's wife

Decided that after today, I shouldn't have Lara bars.  I found a recipe and made them today. Bad idea  I was reading in the book ' It starts with food' and realized I had awakened the sugar dragon. The book is clear that even if you are using the good sugar as in dates, the brain responds to it with the pattern it had before, as in cravings.  Sigh.  So it wasn't exactly a fail, but rather something I now know I cannot utilize for a while....

Tomorrow starts week 4.  I plan on continuing for at least another 30 days.

Before the Whole 30 I hated Lara bars; I had tried one and thought they were yucky -- couldn't see how people could eat them. But I bought some just for emergency purposes and . . . find they're not that bad. Thankfully, it hasn't caused me to rush out and start buying cookies -- or even eating Lara bars by the fistful! I think the sugar dragon is at bay, at least for me.

17 hours ago, Jon's wife said:

Decided that after today, I shouldn't have Lara bars.  I found a recipe and made them today. Bad idea  I was reading in the book ' It starts with food' and realized I had awakened the sugar dragon. The book is clear that even if you are using the good sugar as in dates, the brain responds to it with the pattern it had before, as in cravings.  Sigh.  So it wasn't exactly a fail, but rather something I now know I cannot utilize for a while....

Tomorrow starts week 4.  I plan on continuing for at least another 30 days.

But you learned something about yourself. From my experience, I learned that when I am tired, I misread labels, such as diet iced tea vs unsweetened iced tea. What a lesson!

Yes , I have found out it continues to feed that established pathway of sugar, even if it's good sugar. ;)

I think if it had only been apple Lara bars, no biggy. But I found the coconut ones... and the are scrumptious!  Then I found I could make them, which made it worse, since I wasn't having to pay $1.25 a bar.  However, If I don't purchase it won't be a problem. I do plan to keep the recipe for LATER, when I don't fall into that trap again

Many moons ago while I was growing up, my mom would routinely make a pan of oatmeal chocolate brownies with chocolate mint frosting topped with chopped pecans.

From mid grammar school through high school, I'd come home and would down half the pan with a quart of 2% milk.

It wasn't until fairly recently and just prior to being introduced to the W30, that I realized I was using sweets as a drug. Coming from a family of four girls and no boys (my mom's twin brother got those) and me being the eldest along with being my dad's right hand 'man' on 165-acre farm, I was never allowed to mingle with my class mates. I became something of a scapegoat and was ridiculed greatly.

Now that I am married (just over 25 years) my tendencies are toward being an out-of-box thinker. That can be both good and bad.

Why have I shared all this? Because I feel I can identify with both of you. You two rock! So your success isn't first or second time in coming. You are still mustering forward. I applaud you for your efforts! Keep on keeping on!

Archived