Carb Recommendations

amuller

I am a pretty active person, I usually do a half hour to an hour of fairly intense workouts (things like Insanity, weight lifting, etc) six days a week.  I did my first Whole30 in June of this year, and my energy levels were consistently low throughout the entire program, despite the fact that I was sleeping for 10+ hours per night.  I tried to workout several times, and each time I stopped less than halfway through because I just didn't have the energy.  I was extremely frustrated because that is really not like me, and I ended up stopping the program on day 24 because I was concerned.

However, earlier this week I met Melissa at a book signing during her tour, and she thinks that I probably wasn't eating enough carbs, so I'm planning to try the program one more time starting in November.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for carb-dense foods (besides potatoes) that I should try to incorporate into my diet during my Whole30.

Thanks!

Root veggies (carrots, jicama, parsnips etc) tend to be more carb dense, as do winter squashes (pumpkin, butternut, acorn...). Most people need at least one fist sized serving a day, in addition to post workout meals (lean protein and optional starchy carb) so you may find you do better with more. Experiment and see what works best for you. 

On 10/8/2016 at 6:58 PM, amuller said:

I am a pretty active person, I usually do a half hour to an hour of fairly intense workouts (things like Insanity, weight lifting, etc) six days a week.  I did my first Whole30 in June of this year, and my energy levels were consistently low throughout the entire program, despite the fact that I was sleeping for 10+ hours per night.  I tried to workout several times, and each time I stopped less than halfway through because I just didn't have the energy.  I was extremely frustrated because that is really not like me, and I ended up stopping the program on day 24 because I was concerned.

However, earlier this week I met Melissa at a book signing during her tour, and she thinks that I probably wasn't eating enough carbs, so I'm planning to try the program one more time starting in November.  I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for carb-dense foods (besides potatoes) that I should try to incorporate into my diet during my Whole30.

Thanks!

Hey Amuller,

I added Rx Bars for post workouts, there is a Whole30 approved package you can buy from their website. They were having a promo with code Whole30 to get 15% off as well. Not sure if it's still available. I am a runner as well and as training for a half marathon and just finished up the September Whole30 and also met Melissa last week. It as at a private event and meeting her was awesome! I am trying to find some friendly carbs to help with running/working out as well. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Salena said:

Hey Amuller,

I added Rx Bars for post workouts, there is a Whole30 approved package you can buy from their website. They were having a promo with code Whole30 to get 15% off as well. Not sure if it's still available. I am a runner as well and as training for a half marathon and just finished up the September Whole30 and also met Melissa last week. It as at a private event and meeting her was awesome! I am trying to find some friendly carbs to help with running/working out as well. 

Hi @Salena - the recommendation from Whole30 is to have lean protein and starchy veggie for post workout.  Eating fats will slow the protein absorption and eating fruits as the carbohydrate will replenish liver glycogen over muscle glycogen. 

Additionally, any type of bar is only approved on Whole30 for emergency use, it is not meant to be used as a planned consumption regularly.  Go for chicken breast and sweet potato or canned tuna and white potato.

Thanks for all the added information on proteins and carbs. What about life post Whole30 would it be ok to consume Rx bars post a workout? Sometimes it's a race against time in the morning post a workout. When would it be ok to add Rx Bars, just as a snack emergency? 

Anyone have any tasty recipes for squashes (pumpkin, butternut, acorn)?

Thanks in advance! 

-Salena 

• Administrators

In your life after a Whole30, you are free to eat whatever you please. :) However, that doesn't stop dates from replenishing liver glycogen over muscle and it doesn't stop fat from slowing protein absorption in that post-workout window. An RX bar, if you believe and trust in Whole30's Melissa Hartwig and all of her knowledge and training, isn't the right choice for post-workout for optimal results.

Throwing a couple cubes of diced chicken breast and half a sweet potato in a zippy bag in your gym bag doens't take any longer than an RX bar....it just takes some advance thought. Or do hard boiled egg whites (save the fattier yolks for pre-workout) and some sweet potato "fries" from dinner the night before. 

A favourite recipe around here is Velvety Butternut Squash

Archived