Type 2 diabetes

I'm on day 22 of the Whole 30 and I feel great.  For the most part, I slept better starting day 2.  I'm not hungry, which has always been an issue on any healthy food plan I've followed.  My pants and shirts are all getting loose.  The only thing that disappoints me is my blood sugar.  2 hours after a meal I'm at 120 and fasting blood sugar is usually around 135.  I thought these would be a lot better by now.  I wasn't checking my blood sugar as consistently before I started the Whole 30, so maybe this is an improvement over what it was.  I know it's a little lower.  Also, my psoriasis is still present.  I think it itches a little less, but I'm still developing little round spots.  I didn't start getting this until about 6 months ago.  It doesn't seem to be related to any perfumes in detergent, etc.  I do plan to do beyond the 30 days because I do feel a lot better, but I'm wondering if I'm expecting too much.

I have an appointment for a physical and blood work next week.  I'll be interested to see what my AIC is.  Any thoughts?

For breakfast, I usually have two boiled eggs, some Whole 30 veggie soup, and a pear or an apple (not large).  For lunch, I usually have leftovers.  For dinner, I have a great variety of food.  Last night I fixed beef and veggie soup.  I used about 1.5 tables olive oil to sauté the onion and garlic.  The batch was big, so there wasn't a lot of beef, so I would say that both dinner last night and lunch today was lacking in protein.  That's unusual though.  I'm a big fan of stir frying ground meat with lots of veggies and different seasonings.  I usually eat either strawberries, an apple, or a pear at the end of each meal.  I suppose I could do without that sugar.  What do you think?

4 minutes ago, Deanna12 said:

I suppose I could do without that sugar.  What do you think?

If you're looking to lower your blood sugar then yes, I'd work at limiting fruit for sure - starting with excluding it from meal one.

What specific veg are you eating with each meal? Anyone struggling with blood sugar issues should be limiting starchy veg to every other day - are you ensuring you get a good variety of non starchy veg each day? How about fat at each meal, other than what you're using to cook with? Are you adding things like avocado, mayo, salad dressings/sauces to each meal?

I don't eat starchy veggies much.  Occasionally, I fix sweet potatoes, but mostly I each cabbage, green beans, brussel sprouts, some carrots.  I haven't been eating salad much, so I don't add fat to my meals.  About once a week, I'll add avocado to something.  I did fix chicken salad and tuna salad a few times for lunch with homemade mayo, but didn't check my blood sugar after that.  I'll have to do that next time.  Should I be adding more or less fat.  Once I added walnuts to a stir fry I made.

Thanks for your advice.

51 minutes ago, Deanna12 said:

Should I be adding more or less fat.

More fat. Definitely more fat. It provides satiety and a slow steady sustained release of energy - it also slows down absorption and so will definitely keep blood suagrs stable. Add an additional source of fat to each meal.

Archived