Jalapeno Jelly

I found a recipe I want to make but.. it calls for jalapeno jelly! No sugar free.. anywhere! I googled until my eyes wanted to bleed. I really want to make this recipe and I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out a suitable substitute or find an acceptable recipe for making the jelly. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Here's the recipe:

~***Chili-glazed Sweet Potatoes***~~

Ingredients:

4 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes or yams

2/3 cup red jalapeño jelly

1/3 cup red wine vinegar

1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

About 3 tablespoons lime juice

Salt

Preparation:

1. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Divide chunks equally between 2 lightly oiled baking pans (each 10 by 15 in.); cover tightly with foil.

2. Bake in a 450° oven for 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until sweet potatoes are tender when pierced, about 25 minutes longer; switch pan positions halfway through baking.

3. Meanwhile, put jelly in a 2-cup glass measure. Heat in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until softened, about 20 seconds. Add vinegar and stir until well blended.

4. Combine sweet potatoes in 1 pan. Pour jelly mixture evenly over potatoes and turn chunks with a spatula to coat evenly. Continue baking until jelly mixture thickens and sticks to sweet potatoes, about 10 minutes, turning chunks often to prevent scorching.

5. Pour into a wide bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro and add about 3 tablespoons lime juice and salt to taste.

You know, that is one of those recipes that not using the jelly would change it so much, you should just maybe have that another time. Even substituting apple juice and jalapenos would just not be the same. You could give it a try...maybe putting the apple juice or cider in the pot and bringing to a boil with sliced jalapenos would reduce it a little so it would sort of make a glaze or sauce for the potatoes.

I'm laughing right now. I decided to google Paleo Jalapeno Jelly just to see if there was a recipe and especially since you are done with your 30. Well, not much came up, but your post did. :) Ah the internet.

If you are done with your W30, maybe you want to try the jarred stuff. I know for me, that kind of sweet would not trigger my dessert monster, but we're all different. I think playing with the juice and jalapenos may be fun.

Archived