Christmas/New Years Whole30

DarcyArnold

Hi friends! 

I feel like a crazy person because I am starting my first Whole30 during the holiday season! I was wondering if there was anyone else that was with me! 

I started two days ago on the 13th--I know, a little random.

Basically, the reason set aside this time for the Whole30 is because I am in college and wanted to be able to commit a full 30 days while I was at home. My mom is also joining me on my Whole30 journey. I am so thankful for this in-home accountability! 

Day 3 has treated me well, but yesterday was definitely a "hangover" day. But, I am genuinely excited for the days to come. 

Let me know if there any one else is planning on doing the Whole30 through this Christmas and New Years season! 

Darcy 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm on the Whole30 this Christmas too. I am also on break from college, and needed to overlap Christmas and New Years in order to do the full 30 days. Last night, Christmas Eve, was definitely tough. It was Day 7 for me, and I was downright SAD to be missing out on my family's favorite peanut butter balls while I ate my dinner out of a Tupperware. That being sad, I think it's important to validate my feelings while still being aware of how reasonable they are. I was on the verge of tears... Over a peanut butter ball. Really?!? Even though it's hard, and in the moment I'm annoyed and mad at myself for choosing to do the Whole30, it also highlights why I'm doing it in the first place. Food has such a huge psychological hold on us, especially as a culture that centers around it. I am hoping that today will be easier than yesterday, and that soon I'll be over the hump. Good luck on your Whole30s!!!!

10 hours ago, Addie_Tudes said:

It was Day 7 for me, and I was downright SAD to be missing out on my family's favorite peanut butter balls while I ate my dinner out of a Tupperware. That being sad, I think it's important to validate my feelings while still being aware of how reasonable they are. I was on the verge of tears... Over a peanut butter ball. Really?!? Even though it's hard, and in the moment I'm annoyed and mad at myself for choosing to do the Whole30, it also highlights why I'm doing it in the first place. Food has such a huge psychological hold on us, especially as a culture that centers around it. 

Ya, it's definitely good to think about the "whys" of such feelings.  You were still spending time with your family during Christmastime -- peanut butter balls were still made, people ate them, the tradition was upheld, etc.  And I'm not asking this like a Q&A to you, but ya, just to 'think out loud' about the way these things affect us.

My family has a tradition of making lefsa, a Norwegian flatbread, and it's funny how all these factors get associated with the holidays.  People have a certain movie they like to watch, or song to listen to, or pajamas to wear, etc.  We want to run through the checklist and mark all the boxes for the things that make a holiday truly complete.

But it's not the peanut butter balls or the lefsa that make Christmas complete.  It's the sunk time of bonding with family over the years that makes Christmas traditions significant.  Eating peanut butter balls by yourself at a truck stop in Des Moines Iowa in February wouldn't feel very Christmasy right?

Archived