What are good endurance snacks during a race?

AL-30

My husband is doing the Whole30 with me this month. Started January 2nd. He has a 30K cross country ski race coming up at the end of the month.  What do you recommend for keeping his calories and carbs in check.  Please only reply if you have experience with this.  This is a serious race in the cold. He will be buring lots of calories and needs fuel for his body.  He has talked about maybe going off the whole30 for just one day during the race.  What should I recommend to him? This is my second Whole30, but I'm not sure what to tell him.  What have others done in the past with big endurance races during whole30? 

• Administrators

The trouble with possibly going off Whole30 near the end is that if he reverts back to foods that he hasn't eaten in nearly a month, that he could experience unexpected stomach upset or energy issues which would be terrible in the kind of race you describe.

You could either tell him to pick another 30 days if his performance in this race is very important to him. Or he could do what people did before gels and powders and shakes. Fuel up on real food! :)  Our moderator, @ultrarunnergirl has quite a lot of experience in fueling endurance races and has some info available on her blog. http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html 

It sort of depends on how much he can carry with him, whether he can pre-stage food along the course, if you can meet him at points along the course with food etc. High carb, high fat is going to be his best bet. The densest energy he can get.

On January 4, 2017 at 2:42 PM, ladyshanny said:

The trouble with possibly going off Whole30 near the end is that if he reverts back to foods that he hasn't eaten in nearly a month, that he could experience unexpected stomach upset or energy issues which would be terrible in the kind of race you describe.

You could either tell him to pick another 30 days if his performance in this race is very important to him. Or he could do what people did before gels and powders and shakes. Fuel up on real food! :)  Our moderator, @ultrarunnergirl has quite a lot of experience in fueling endurance races and has some info available on her blog. http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.ca/p/blog-page.html 

It sort of depends on how much he can carry with him, whether he can pre-stage food along the course, if you can meet him at points along the course with food etc. High carb, high fat is going to be his best bet. The densest energy he can get.

Thanks so much! I will check out her blog.  I will pass along your advise. 

I have had a handful of friends run marathons during W30. yes they may not have PR'd but they did get through the races. I myself did a DUathlon & was a bit slower. We used: Rx bars, dates w/ cashew butter, some drank coconut water, pickle juice, just to name a few off hand

Archived