Coconut Oil, Butter and Manna

Kirsteen

Hi can anyone explain the difference between coconut oil, butter and manna. I use coconut oil regularly. I also hava a jar of Higher Nature's organic coconut butter. I had read that the butter icluded coconut flesh? and so was only to be used as a spread but the jar says it's also 'the perfect cooking oil.' I've also seen organic coconut manna advertised. Is there any difference between these products or is it just marketing hype?

The butter & manna are essentially the same. Think of it like any nut butter, it is the flesh blended down into a butter-like substance. I suggest trying the butter right off the spoon (unless you don't like coconut itself). It is heavenly. You can put it on sweet potatoes or any kind of winter squash. A lot of people like to put it on fruit as a nice treat.

I agree with Laura. One of my favorite treats is a bowl of fresh or frozen berries with some lemon zest and coconut manna. Also, I recently made a batch of manna from shredded coconut (all it took was 4 minutes in a regular food processor) and spiced it up with some cinnamon (Penzey's Vietnamese cassia). That makes a wonderful topping for roasted acorn or "sweet dumpling" squash, kind of replacing butter (and sugar).

Archived