anxiety attacks after eating high starch or sugar foods

LisaLulu

I guess I've always had this but didn't make the connection but since doing my whole 30's I've noticed that I get really nauseous and anxious about 20 minutes or so after eating foods high in sugar or starch. Can a spike in blood sugar make you feel sick and have panic attacks? I find when I eat lower carb meals I don't feel this way. It's also way more likely to happen if I eat sugar, rice or potatoes but not if I eat bread. 

I would think that your sugar doesn't go up but rather very quickly goes down due to very, super quick response of your receptors to insulin. After whole30 you are probably super insulin sensitive. Feeling anxious is one of the symptoms of low blood sugar. I've heard of some athletes that have such quick response to insulin that they can't eat sweets at all becuse they faint due to their sugar going too low afterwards lol 

I guess that's sort of a relief? I read somewhere that having that reaction means that everything is still working insulin wise (I'm always nervous about it since my dad is a skinny type 2). I was at IKEA a couple weeks ago and decided to try their butter chicken. It would have been fine it if was just the meat, but it came on a bed of white rice with naan bread as well. I was driving home when it hit and it was awful. Shaking and heart racing and nauseous and dizzy. I stopped eating rice almost 3 years ago when I did my first whole 30 because I just don't miss it at all so it was pretty shocking for my body! 

Archived