Coconut Milk Confusion

MaisOui

When a recipe calls for coconut milk, what should I use?  The boxed, refrigerator milk, the canned light milk, the canned full fat milk?  If the canned full fat, do I mix the solids and the water or just use the solids?  It seems like it would be "too much of a good thing" to put 3/4 cup of solids in a recipe that calls for 3/4 cup of coconut milk.  Help!  Thanks in advance!

Okay, to follow up (sorry, I'm still in the prep stage for my first W30 and trying to put together a shopping list), if a recipe calls for both coconut cream AND coconut milk, does that mean I have to scrape the solids off one can for the cream and then shake and use a whole other can for the milk? What do I do with the de-creamed can of coconut water?

39 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

What's the recipe? Knowing what it's being used for can give us a better idea of what the recipe writer's intentions were. 

Bah, now I can't find it. I probably misread "coconut oil" for "coconut cream". But I'm still wondering what you're supposed to do with what's left in the can once you've scraped off the cream? Is it still technically coconut milk (and therefore usable in recipes) or is it coconut water (and therefore useless?).

34 minutes ago, DotinTO said:

Bah, now I can't find it. I probably misread "coconut oil" for "coconut cream". But I'm still wondering what you're supposed to do with what's left in the can once you've scraped off the cream? Is it still technically coconut milk (and therefore usable in recipes) or is it coconut water (and therefore useless?).

You could do as you wish. If you've just used the "cream" (for example, some add it to their coffee) you can save the "water" and add it to a recipe or you can discard it. I always use the full fat coconut milk and stir it before adding to my recipe so I never have the water left over.

Archived