Turkey Italian Sausage

OSU_EMM

I was looking for Turkey Italian Sausage links today. The spicy turkey Italian sausage I found wasn't compliant but I am wondering about the sweet turkey Italian sausage. Yes, I do realize the word "sweet" in the name. Oddly enough, the spicy sausage had sugar while the sweet does not. The ingredients for the sweet turkey Italian sausage are turkey, water, turkey fat, salt, spice extractives (including paprika), BHA, BHT, and citric acid. 

The additive cheat sheet says citric acid is ok and I found a forum post where moderator Tom said BHA and BHT were allowed. My question is the spice extractives (including paprika). Is this compliant or not? I tried to Google it but I couldn't figure it out. I have seen spice extractives listed in other forum posts but most of those also included dextrose in the ingredient list. Responders zeroed in on the non-compliant dextrose and didn't touch on the spice extractives part.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Moderators

Spice extractives should be okay -- theoretically if they included sugar or soy or msg, they'd have to list that in the ingredients. If you're really curious, you can write to the manufacturer and ask, although they might not give you a definitive answer on what it actually is.

Archived