Starting March 6

Triponme

Hi All, 

I haven't been to involved in this group thus far. However, wanted to share my experiences! Going on Day 13 with you all (HOORAY!) and I truly doubt I will go back to how I was eating before. I work at a hospital and this program has made me realize now more than ever that the sweets and things around work were the culprit of my sugar cravings, compulsive eating, and my way of dealing with stress (ie. all within this week we had a giant cake delivered, angel food cake another day, and also a pot luck another day-AHH!) Meals aren't as big of a deal to me. I planned a lot the first week but this past week I whipped something up whether its a protein salad, burgers with guac, or a turkey burger. I was faced with eating out two times this past week for special occasions (turning down bread pudding was a tough one). I'm very much a picky eater but also creature of habit. I'm more nervous to stray from my compliant bacon and scrambled eggs in the morning than I am to try something different for breakfast. I'm not even sick of eggs yet and I'm not sure I will be. Not only am I finding that I know I am able to have self control, but I'm learning to have a better relationship with myself. I've had more energy the last few days and my pants are nearly falling off at this point (and we are only half way there). I knew my eating habits were what was keeping my waist line at how its been-I just didn't expect my pants to be falling off already! Keep up the good work! We are almost to the half way mark! 

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Returned from food shopping and enjoyed a freaking delicious dinner... which made me think about what you all might be having tonight... which made me remember that I never responded to the post asking for favorite recipes!  I do want to thank @frogtox for posting the link to Mel Joulwan's site because I hadn't discovered her before that and now I want to make every single recipe she's created.  If you haven't been, you should go here: https://meljoulwan.com/category/recipes/whole30/ and prepare to drool!!

Tonight we made the Pork Carnitas from The Whole 30 and had a burrito bowl bar - homemade guac, julienned jicama, cauli rice, salsa (compliant, from Aldi), romaine, olives and the shredded pork.  Oh, and plantain chips (thank you, Mel, for that inspiration!) for the guac.  Like I said, freaking delicious!

A few faves from the first two weeks:

Hearty Veg Soup - this was surprisingly rich and, well, hearty! http://www.iheartnaptime.net/hearty-vegetable-soup/

This chicken was TDF.  Like, lick the plate when it's all gone good. Just made the chicken, though - http://laughingspatula.com/roasted-lemon-chicken-with-potatoes-and-rosemary/  because we had mashed potatoes - http://www.perchancetocook.com/2017/02/27/whole30-mashed-potatoes/ (I used red-skinned b/c that's what I had on hand and they were magnificient) and gravy - http://www.tasteslovely.com/the-best-paleo-whole30-gravy/. And roasted green beans. Husband took it for leftovers all week and said every day when he had lunch he couldn't believe it was "legal" because it was so good. :)

This was also delish and made a bunch - https://www.thebewitchinkitchen.com/coconut-curry-chicken-meatballs/. We had it over the roasted root veg from The Whole 30 (though I used the curry sauce from the meatball recipe instead of the one from the book), with steamed broc on the side. My husband has a well-known aversion to beets, so the kids and I all had a good hoot after dinner when we told him that not only had he eaten some, but raved about how good they were!  

I also made the butternut squash soup from The Whole 30 but found it a bit meh... so as it was still on the stovetop I spiffed it up and added a bag of steamed spinach, about a tablespoon of curry powder, two diced sweet potatoes and some leftover shredded chicken breast.  I was sad when it was gone because it was soooo good.

This week:

Sunday is kind of boring - Citrus Fish with Roasted Veg - not really a recipe, but it's easy and quick because Sunday nights are usually a total firedrill around here getting ready for the coming week.

Monday is Thai Night - https://meljoulwan.com/2017/02/15/paleo-tod-mun-chicken-cakes/https://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/, and Cold Thai Salad from The Whole 30.

Tuesday is always soup night - https://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

Wednesday we'll try the Steak Salad with Cilantro Lime Mayo from The Whole 30

Thursday USED to be pizza night, so since that's out I've been trying to stick with Italian - http://www.paleorunningmomma.com/paleo-slow-cooker-meatballs-whole30/#comment-44275

Friday is leftovers and Saturday I start planning all over again!

7 hours ago, Jamie Cook said:

I've had more energy the last few days and my pants are nearly falling off at this point (and we are only half way there). I knew my eating habits were what was keeping my waist line at how its been-I just didn't expect my pants to be falling off already! Keep up the good work! We are almost to the half way mark! 

Congrats on the improved energy, and the pants, Jamie, and only half way through! It's clear what you can choose as a non-food reward once you have completed your Whole30! There are so many cute pants coming into the stores for spring!

Just wrapping up day 15. Feeling great! So much energy! Health problems are much better! Asthma, Hashimoto's, adrenal fatigue, hormone imbalance, .... And my tastebuds have come alive! I love spinach! I never thought I would say that. 

I did struggle with a hung over feeling the first week. I hope everyone else is feeling good! I started March 5th.

Wondering what folks keep around for 'emergency snacks/mini-meals.' I found myself coming home from work two hours later than normal. I picked up some pistachios before I sat in traffic (which aren't the greatest - but they are decent.) But I am considering purchasing 'bars' or something to keep in the car for those a little longer than usual days.

Tips or advice welcomed. :)

1 hour ago, clawdawg said:

Wondering what folks keep around for 'emergency snacks/mini-meals.' I found myself coming home from work two hours later than normal. I picked up some pistachios before I sat in traffic (which aren't the greatest - but they are decent.) But I am considering purchasing 'bars' or something to keep in the car for those a little longer than usual days.

Tips or advice welcomed. :)

I am finding that I am only getting 2 solid meals a day and am having a hard time getting that third (lunch time) meal in.  I tend to eat a later breakfast and then an early dinner.  I know "Snacking" is supposed to be kept to a minimum... but wrapping your mind, life and schedule around this new way of eating (3 solid meals a day without grazing) takes a little time to become a habit.

I try to keep hardboiled eggs, raw nuts and carrot/veggie stix (with Tessemae's Ranch dressing) on hand for a "light lunch". 

I tried to do the Larabars and RX Bars - but they are too much like a dessert and if they are around I will eat them instead of an HB Egg (Duh!).

I have also tried the Epic bars... these are meat bars... and I say bars, not sticks.  I was hoping for more of a Jerky like protein - but, to me, they had a sawdust like texture.  I would rather not eat particle board at $3-$5 a slab.

I just picked up some Sea Weed sheets and Plantain Chips from Trader Joes (be careful with the Sea Weed for added sugars if you get anything other than plain "Roasted" flavor).  Aaaand... there is a sentence I NEVER thought I would say! LOL.

Good Luck!!!

I cook up a few skinless, boneless chicken breasts on the weekend and store them in the fridge. A half a chicken breast cut into cubes, a few cubes of cooked sweet potato, and some snap peas and cherry tomatoes are my "lunch or supper on the run." I think they might be breakfast tomorrow morning, after I do my 6:30am yoga class, on my way to the office. The downside is that you need to pack an insulated bag and little ice pack, but it's much more satisfying, and much less tummy-disrupting that nuts or sugary fast snacks. 

I'm a big fan of hot tea to fill in when I'm feeling peckish or don't know if I'll make it to the next regularly scheduled meal... but if that's not your thing or on days when that's not possible for me, I make trail mix (almonds, cashews, dried cranberries, raisins, coconut, sunflower seeds, pistachios) and prepackage it into 1/4 cup baggies for emergencies.  Since I know that we're supposed to keep these thing to a minimum, I rarely actually resort to having any.  My husband rides the train for an hour each way every day and there are times that it's just not on schedule and he has a bit of this in his bag to ward off making a hunger-fueled bad decision in the station while he's waiting for the train.  We also like Larabars, but admittedly they're not for everyone.  I buy the Cashew Cookie/Apple Pie mini bars pack at Target (only place I've found it).  Keeping a banana and/or apple in the car is also possible, but I don't know how good an emergency banana would be after languishing on a passenger seat for a few days...  Have also gotten Justin's Almond Butter single squeeze packs, which are delish with celery sticks...

We're halfway there!

I had a pretty good weekend and am starting to feel a bit more energetic, but it's at this point where I'm starting to get tired of being in the kitchen all the time. And, my son begged for something that wasn't a 'hunk of meat' which made me laugh.

@DaskiMomI made the tod mun cakes last week and they were fantastic. Good luck! I'm glad you like Mel Joulwan's site.. I have all three of her books and cook almost exclusively out of those during my whole30s. This week I've prepped salmon cakes, pork loin with blackberry compote and lemon chicken and fennel all from her cookbooks.  I usually only prep three big meals, then chop veggies and grill meats and have either a stir fry, salad or something the other nights. Feeding four other people who aren't on the same eating plan gets tricky, especially when they're 10 and 11. :)

Happy Monday, all... and good luck this week.

Loving all the new advice and activity on the board!  I'm feeling pretty good half way through but I need to read the information out there for athletes.  Soccer season has started, and I refereed four ninety minute games yesterday.  I ate a good breakfast and packed a lot of food for lunch, but still felt so hungry by the end of the day that it made me feel sick.  Still feeling it a bit today, but hoping it passes quickly as I get back to normal eating.  

I second the carrots and Almond Butter squeeze packs noted above.  I pretty much always carry carrots with me now.  I also like Epic beef jerky or uncured bacon from Whole Foods.  It is pricey, but the best protein on the go that I've found so far.  My friends still think I'm crazy as I travel with all my food, but my fellow referees were pretty jealous of my lunch yesterday while they all ate fast food.  I've been better about relying on nuts since we started, and trying to find new ways to incorporate veggies.  Super jealous of the person above who isn't tired of eggs.  I guess I'm not tired of eggs, but more tired of the egg muffins I had made.  I scrambled eggs and veggies this morning, and those were okay.  Luckily I had some precut veggies on hand (I love that I'm a person who always has precut veggies on hand!).

I'm loving my crockpot right now too.  I cooked a pork shoulder on Saturday and had some delicious carnita tacos on Saturday night in lettuce shells.  Trader Joe's had a delicious spicy pico de gallo that I smothered them in. Tonight I'll have leftovers on sweet potato buns.  I'm going to do some chicken tomorrow in a wing sauce I found at Whole Foods.  My goal this week is to start branching out.  I was very careful the first two weeks and didn't get out of my comfort zone much.  So I picked up some asparagus, the pork shoulder, and ingredients to attempt to make a homemade honey mustard (sans honey of course).

I've rambled quite a bit - still a bit hungry hungover from yesterday!  Congrats to everyone for making it this far and good luck this week!

Happy Day 15, Everyone! I hope it's spring-like where you are... still lots of snow on the ground here, unfortunately.  I have successfully converted my whole milk and peanut butter loving 9 year old son to compliant almond-coconut milk and unsweetened sun butter - total NSV! Now to break him of the "everything must be drowned in ketchup" habit... I'm making some ketchup tonight and think I'll slowly add it to his Simply Heinz until he's at 100% sugar free... Figure he'll either not notice, or if he does, he'll use less and less until he stops altogether. I'm not anti-ketchup, mind, just against the notion that all food must be covered in it in order to be palatable.  He'll never learn to like new things if everything he eats tastes like ketchup, right?

11 year old daughter (who has always hated PB), has discovered the glory that is almond butter and is eating it with celery sticks every chance she gets.  Of course I'll pick up more celery for you after work today, dear! :)

@Sara13 I don't know how you didn't pass out in the car on the way home - 6 hours of refereeing soccer?!?!? If I did that, I'd be working that fact in to every conversation I had today - good for you!! 

As for eggs... I've never been a fan of HB unless they're in a salad, and if I never eat another scrambled egg that's A-OK with me. But I have started making poached eggs to go over our roasted veg and sausage hash for breakfast and it is SO worth the extra 6 or 7 minutes in the morning.  In fact, husband has started unloading the dishwasher (usually my morning chore) so I'll have a few extra minutes to make them for him since he is incapable of boiling water (insert eye-roll emoji here).

I was doing great and extremely committed and on Friday, Day 11 for me, I broke. It was disappointing and infuriating. I was working out at a client site and lunch was catered and I really had no option. My mental hold on the situation was shattered with my non compliant lunch. I then went to a networking event and had two full glasses of ice water and then felt pressured by the 'client' I was with who insisted on buying drinks. I had 1.5 beers and then it was just over. I went to a party the next day and had spoken to the host previously about there being something i could eat. She assured me that there would be - i got there and there was no such luck. I have written off my weekend and have started over today. I am very sad and disappointed but most of all, my body feels TERRIBLE. My hands and ankles are so swollen it is unreal. I am 27 years old and I could barely make it out of my chair in the movie theater yesterday because my body feels like it is screaming and asking what the hell did I just put in it over the weekend. I am not exactly sure what the trigger was, but I have a feeling that beer and anything heavily gluten related, are not my friend. By day 11 I had lost about 7lbs, and as of this morning, I have gained it back. 99.9% sure the weight is water retention and the swelling that my body has experienced. Even my eyes are swollen! I feel so lethargic and just all around like doo-doo. I can't wait to start over!!

3 hours ago, Rachie037 said:

I was doing great and extremely committed and on Friday, Day 11 for me, I broke. It was disappointing and infuriating. I was working out at a client site and lunch was catered and I really had no option. My mental hold on the situation was shattered with my non compliant lunch. I then went to a networking event and had two full glasses of ice water and then felt pressured by the 'client' I was with who insisted on buying drinks. I had 1.5 beers and then it was just over. I went to a party the next day and had spoken to the host previously about there being something i could eat. She assured me that there would be - i got there and there was no such luck. I have written off my weekend and have started over today. I am very sad and disappointed but most of all, my body feels TERRIBLE. My hands and ankles are so swollen it is unreal. I am 27 years old and I could barely make it out of my chair in the movie theater yesterday because my body feels like it is screaming and asking what the hell did I just put in it over the weekend. I am not exactly sure what the trigger was, but I have a feeling that beer and anything heavily gluten related, are not my friend. By day 11 I had lost about 7lbs, and as of this morning, I have gained it back. 99.9% sure the weight is water retention and the swelling that my body has experienced. Even my eyes are swollen! I feel so lethargic and just all around like doo-doo. I can't wait to start over!!

Ugh, my worst nightmare. I'm sorry to hear of your setback, but am glad you're willing to start over.

A week after my last Whole30 I went to Disney with my family. I tried so hard to continue to eat compliant food, but, yeah.. no. I spent a lot of time feeling absolutely ill the first few days.

4 hours ago, DaskiMom said:

I have successfully converted my whole milk and peanut butter loving 9 year old son to compliant almond-coconut milk and unsweetened sun butter - total NSV! Now to break him of the "everything must be drowned in ketchup" habit..

11 year old daughter (who has always hated PB), has discovered the glory that is almond butter and is eating it with celery sticks every chance she gets.  Of course I'll pick up more celery for you after work today, dear! :)

@DaskiMom - I am super impressed! I have a 12 yr old son and a 10 yr old daughter, and didn't even think of trying to put them on this.  They are pretty picky eaters (which we have enabled - need to do a much better job of setting boundaries!), and we generally give them some pasta or something while we eat our compliant stuff.

You have motivated me - I'm going to work on trying to have them share at least some of our meals!  Let me know if you have any tips.

@Rachie037 - Congrats on recommitting and starting over!  That's a huge step to take, and you should be quite proud of yourself!  It amazes me how much people want to peer pressure you into food/drinks.  Sometimes it feels like college all over again!  Luckily my coworkers have been really supportive and warn me if there are treats in the break room so I can avoid it if I'm not feeling strong.  My friends and family on the other hand...they don't understand why one drink or one meal will hurt.  I try to explain I'm just being strict for 30 days, not forever, but it is hard.  Fortunately, I can avoid those type of situations for the next 15 days!

1 hour ago, Sara13 said:

@Rachie037 - Congrats on recommitting and starting over!  That's a huge step to take, and you should be quite proud of yourself!  It amazes me how much people want to peer pressure you into food/drinks.  Sometimes it feels like college all over again!  Luckily my coworkers have been really supportive and warn me if there are treats in the break room so I can avoid it if I'm not feeling strong.  My friends and family on the other hand...they don't understand why one drink or one meal will hurt.  I try to explain I'm just being strict for 30 days, not forever, but it is hard.  Fortunately, I can avoid those type of situations for the next 15 days!

My coworkers have been amazing, but like you said, friends and family not so much. I just get an eye roll here or there or "it's only one sip." Also, the family member who had the party on Saturday was initially extremely offended about my inability to eat her food (I am part Middle Eastern and I might as well have slapped her in the face). It made her so happy to see that day of I was actually eating it. Thanks to everyone here for your support about me recommitting. People at work are saying I should just continue and pretend the weekend never happen, but I am trying to explain to them that defeats the whole purpose of this! 

@Rachel007 Since you weighed yourself before you fell off the W30 wagon do you think that helped to derail your w30? Maybe that's one reason not weighing yourself is a w30 rule. I understand friends and family pressure people about food. I've never done that, and I don't understand why people do that. i think you should be proud of getting that far. And do what's best for you. But you could just continue the w30, but extend it 11 days... Tell yourself whatever mental boost you need to to get through it. :)

Day 15 is done and I am officially HALF WAY thru this phase! Yay me... Yay all of us! This hasn't been all that easy.  I think the "threat" of having to start over for even tipping off the wagon messes with my mind and causes me stress.  Perfectionist much? :-)

So... I started to notice a couple things...  

1) Have any of you noticed how GREAT things are starting to taste?  I sliced up 4 strawberries with my dinner tonight and the flavor was beyond delicious.  I used to have to put sugar or splenda on berries because they never tasted ripe.  I also had some cherry tomatoes on a salad and they were bursting with flavor... not just the usual tart acidic flavor!!!

2) I feel a bit firmer.  My middle section was starting to get to spare tire status (spare tire with a flat... it just kinda wobbled around on the rim). Not sure if it is all in my mind, but there seems to be a bit less jiggle... and this has only been two weeks (and a day).

What kinds of NSV have you all been noticing at the halfway mark?

14 hours ago, KiwiJG said:

@DaskiMom - I am super impressed! I have a 12 yr old son and a 10 yr old daughter, and didn't even think of trying to put them on this.  They are pretty picky eaters (which we have enabled - need to do a much better job of setting boundaries!), and we generally give them some pasta or something while we eat our compliant stuff.

You have motivated me - I'm going to work on trying to have them share at least some of our meals!  Let me know if you have any tips.

@KiwiJG - we've always had a rule at dinner time (well, since they were old enough to have an opinion one way or another) that they must eat at least one bite of everything on their plate.  If they REALLY don't like it, they can make themselves something else but they have to clean up after themselves. Most of the time they can't be bothered to make something else so they just go with what we're having.  My husband also is a strict enforcer of the "Be Neutral." rule - no one is allowed to complain about my cooking or what I make.  He grew up with a mom that couldn't make a grilled cheese without having to call 911, so he thinks he's in food heaven being married to me and wants the kids to appreciate it!  

So, since the W30, they've been served exactly what I make for my husband and I.  Most things aren't that terribly different from what I normally make, with the exception of there being no pasta/rice/bread to fall back on, so it's not like they're suddenly being served things they've never seen before.  Their breakfasts and lunches aren't 100% compliant, but the amount of non-approved foods up for grabs in our house right now fits in a bin about the size of a copy paper box on top of the fridge and one little door bin inside the fridge.

I know it's cliche, but have them help you in the kitchen. My 9yo son thinks he it HOT STUFF when I let him use a knife to chop. And my 11yo daughter loves to go through recipes on Pinterest to help me plan our menu and shopping list.

@Rachie037 - I agree with @Eye of the Tiger - don't think of it as starting over but as extending your program to a Whole 45 (or whatever number you need to get to a clean 30 from your recommit day).  I know it's completely mental, but that would make it easier for me...  Hang in there and please stick around!

@Melly88 - I second the "everything tastes AMAZING" phenomenon!  We had fresh pineapple last night and I looked at my husband and said, "This is the most delicious pineapple I've ever eaten. I feel like we're in Hawaii."  He agreed (though not so much with the Hawaii bit) - he couldn't remember ever enjoying a few bites of pineapple quite as much!  It sounds silly, but it really is incredible what you're able to create in the kitchen using only real (i.e. not created in a lab) food.  A billion times better than the frankenfood most folks live on.  

Happy Day 16, all!

A word about having your kids join you... My kids are pretty good eaters (they really haven't had a choice).  Periodically they'll focus on good eating habits and rather than their cereal in the morning will have something healthier, or they'll want to cut out dairy or gluten for a bit. I try really hard to not talk about my 'diet' and call it an eating plan instead, particularly because I have an 11 year old daughter I don't want to become fixated on food and dieting. 

So I started this eating plan Monday before last and my 9 year old son eats some of my egg scramble with me in the morning, and tells me he's going to 'do my eating plan' with me. We talked a little about it then went on with our day. He got home from school that afternoon and hadn't eaten all day because, he told me, nothing at the school lunch was 'compliant' because everything either had dairy or gluten or sugar in it. Poor bug weighs 65 pounds and is thin as a rail and hadn't eaten all day, and I felt terrible.  I talked him into just eating what I was eating when we were together and trying to make healthy choices when I wasn't with him. 

All that to say that I think it'd be tough, and maybe unnecessary for a kid to go through the Whole30 because it might get them too fixated on food, body image, etc. Having said that, though, I do take this as an opportunity to tell them how important it is to make good food choices and how closely it connects with how you feel, etc. And, at dinner they eat what I eat and generally like it (although my son does get tired of meat hunks, lol). 

I cooked the chipotle apple cider sausage tacos from the blog for breakfast this morning. Butter lettuce was $4 per head, so I subbed iceberg, and it turned out to be a "knife-and-forker" but it is delicious. My grown son, who is still at home with us, is tucking into a plate of tacos before he heads out to work. He made me coffee in exchange. I appreciate the support and inspiration from this group. Happy second half everyone!

@frogtox - I couln't agree more - a really excellent post!  

I also have an 11 year old daughter who watches everything I do, so I'm hyper-aware of the language I use regarding food/diet/exercise. Both of our kids are string beans (70th percentile for height, 30th for weight) and my husband is, too (6'2" and 150 lbs fully clothed).  No one (except me!) has a huge appetite so I've always tried to make sure that things they eat are as nutritionally-dense as possible. My son has a tendency to get majorly HANGRY (he's like a living Snickers commercial), so he knows that he has to have lots of protein and good fats throughout the day to keep his blood sugar/mood steady.  Because of that, the kids already have some idea of how food plays a role in how we feel... we've explained that mom and dad are doing the plan to get to the bottom of dad's belly issues (of which they are very much aware), but also know that we're all using this as an opportunity to try new things and pay attention to how specific things that we eat make us feel... But with the exception of dinner time and snacks around the house, they aren't on the plan with us.  They are still very much eating their usual breakfasts and lunches.  If I took away their morning wheat toast, they'd call the authorities on me. :) 

17 hours ago, Eye of the Tiger said:

@Rachel007 Since you weighed yourself before you fell off the W30 wagon do you think that helped to derail your w30? Maybe that's one reason not weighing yourself is a w30 rule. I understand friends and family pressure people about food. I've never done that, and I don't understand why people do that. i think you should be proud of getting that far. And do what's best for you. But you could just continue the w30, but extend it 11 days... Tell yourself whatever mental boost you need to to get through it. :)

I dont think weighing myself helped me fall off - it actually was a huge factor in me staying on!! I was feeling so good and before I fell off the wagon I had done various events that I was able to turn down alcohol. I think Friday was just too much with already having a lunch that was slightly non-compliant, it being St. Patricks day, out with a client who was adamant that I drink etc... *sigh* Oh well. Overall, I think it was one of the best lessons though because my body really enjoys and feels great being on the Whole30. 

Archived