Whole 30 Surgery Prep

I am doing my first whole 30 and have surgery next week.  I had no idea I would have to do a liquid/clear liquid diet for the type of surgery I am having for 48 hours.  I can do liquid the first 24 and then only clear liquid the last 24 prior to surgery.  Any helpful ideas to stay compliant would be much appreciated.  Also, any ideas on eating after if stomach upset from anesthesia since the normal things are not compliant.

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't try to follow Whole30 with surgery, especially if you're having general anaesthetic and especially with the potential for nausea. I'd just concentrate on eating my best and healing, and then restarting your Whole30 after your surgery's done. 

Agree with ArtFossil.    Surgery is a chance to correct something that's wrong. Preparing, recovering and rehabbing yourself is very important. 

The surgery is a chance to build a better machine.   Once you've recovered, Whole30 can be a way to fine tune that machine to bring out its best performance.  

Good luck with the procedure!

Have you had surgery yet? 

I dont think you can stay strictly Whole 30 on a clear liquid diet.   Day 30 for me will be a colonoscopy prep, so I plan to have beef broth, chicken broth, 100% unsweeetened apple juice and white grape juice (this is not Whole 30, but in the "spirit" of it and with the clear liquid restrictions), coffee and tea.  And water. I also made popsicles from the 100% white grape juice to deal with the aftertaste from the colon prep that  I will have to drink.  Hope that helps.  

1 hour ago, Herndonmom said:

Have you had surgery yet? 

I dont think you can stay strictly Whole 30 on a clear liquid diet.   Day 30 for me will be a colonoscopy prep, so I plan to have beef broth, chicken broth, 100% unsweeetened apple juice and white grape juice (this is not Whole 30, but in the "spirit" of it and with the clear liquid restrictions), coffee and tea.  And water. I also made popsicles from the 100% white grape juice to deal with the aftertaste from the colon prep that  I will have to drink.  Hope that helps.  

Surgery is tomorrow.  I started yesterday at lunch with just liquid and today is clear liquid only.  I've been able to keep to the Whole 30 acceptable ingredients, but the drinking your meals is definitely not part of Whole 30 plan.  I think I'm more concerned about how I will feel after surgery and needing to have something to settle my stomach that isn't Whole 30.  If that happens and I need to eat or drink something that isn't approved I will do what I need to for my body.  Good luck to you.  Your prep is much worse than mine, I know from experience :)

Archived