advice needed

Hey guys. I am in desperate need for some advice!

I just started my very first whole30 (today is day 2) and this morning I got an email from my work inviting me to a last minute awards banquet (tomorrow) celebrating that is bringing together my company and my Alma Mater. It is a prestigious invite and I am very honored and flattered to even receive an invite but the timing is horrible! I would love to say yes and go but I know it includes a dinner and I'm afraid that I'll get there and won't be able to eat anything. I'm partially worried about breaking down and giving in and eating something non-compliant, but I am even more worried about how to stay compliant without being that awkward person who isn't eating anything at the table. I'll be sitting at a table with important people from my company and I don't want to make a bad first impression with people who could really help my career in the long run.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to attend this event and not be that awkward person who refuses to eat any of the dinner then I would really love to hear them! This thing is tomorrow (w30 day 3) so I don't have a lot of time to prepare...

• Moderators

Do you think these important company people are going to not help your career because you didn't eat the bread on the table at this event? ;)  I don't.  I get it that it's unknown territory to advocate for your own health by not eating whatever someone puts in front of you, but it's definitely something you need to get used to.

Eat a proper template meal before you go, so you're not starving if you find there is nothing you can eat.  Call the caterer today and ask them what is being served and if there is any way of making accommodations at the last minute.  If all you can eat is a couple shrimps with no sauce and a bare salad, then so be it, this is one meal, they don't all have to be amazing... 

If anyone asks what you're doing, you can tell them you're doing a food elimination protocol to confirm how foods interact with you... the end.  If they ask more about it, tell them to google 'whole30' and then change the subject.  You don't have to explain, you don't have to make a big deal and to be honest, most people are not going to ask because it sounds like this is a nice event and in proper company, people don't comment on what others (especially near strangers)  are eating.

I will try and call the caterer, that's a good idea. It isn't so much that I am worried about not being able to eat the bread. My fear is that a dinner plate will come out and it will be a piece of chicken or steak or something and I will have no idea what it has been cooked in. That there will be veggies covered in butter or sauce and a salad with dressing already on it and that I will have no clue what I can and can't safely eat.

Archived