Making Ghee (did I do it wrong?)

Chuber0923

I made my own Ghee on Sunday and can't help but think I may have done it wrong. I followed the directions exactly in the book but I've suddenly felt so tired I can't stand up and now I have realllly loose stools, like almost diarrhea and some bloat back. I'm on day 16. It also doesn't look as yellow as the TJ Ghee, which is what I started with. I added a picture of my Ghee for reference. 

IMG_3696.JPG

I'm not really an expert, but when I made my own clarified butter/ghee, it turned out about that shade. I think that the color has to do with how long you heated the butter, so the longer the butter is on the heat, the darker and browner it gets. 

1 hour ago, Chuber0923 said:

I made my own Ghee on Sunday and can't help but think I may have done it wrong. I followed the directions exactly in the book but I've suddenly felt so tired I can't stand up and now I have realllly loose stools, like almost diarrhea and some bloat back. I'm on day 16. It also doesn't look as yellow as the TJ Ghee, which is what I started with. I added a picture of my Ghee for reference. 

IMG_3696.JPG

@Thulily is correct--the color will range from yellow to golden brown depending on how long you simmer and whether you choose to brown it.  (I simmer about 30 minutes (I like mine at the clarified butter stage, not browned) and I strain through four layers of cheesecloth.)

However--you should not have any water left after simmering and no solids after straining and yours looks like it has both.  (And make sure the container is completely clean and dry to avoid contamination.)

• Moderators

Are you thinking that there may have been milk solids left in the ghee and therefore you're feeling tired, bloated etc?  If you are extremely sensitive to dairy, that's a definite possibility, altho feeling so tired you can't stand up would not be a side effect of eating home made ghee for one day.

You may want to list out what you've been eating with template portions, specific veggies, protein and fats as well as water intake etc... on the troubleshooting forum and we can see what might be going on.

Dang I wish the book would have clarified(lol) about the amount of time needed to completely clarify the butter. I feel better today. Might have just been what I ate yesterday. I kinda skimped on fat and potatoes. I might just start over on day 30 and make it a 60 day with 30 of those days being practice. I feel like I'm screwing up a lot and need more time to tweak it. I accidentally took the smallest sip of coconut water and think it had sugar in it and didn't know. 

Archived