5/7 Start Date - looking for a buddy

jokane

Another victory for the starchy carbs. I just went out to do my couch to 5k workout. I'd been stuck the last few days on the week 5 day 3 workout which is 20 straight mins of running; I was making it about 10 mins before needing to stop and walk for a bit and then not fully completing the last 10 mins of running. Today I ran all 20 mins!!! I felt so good I bet I could have gone even longer! :D 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I'm feeling really good.  Maybe it's the starchy carbs I added back in.  Went to a family BBQ today.  Had no problem working around the non-compliant food and eating compliant food.  

One more week and we'll be done.  I'm not really looking forward to leaving the 'bubble' or 'safety net' of the W30.  I don't want to wake the sugar dragon just when I'm starting to get the hang of this.  

Hope you all enjoyed the holiday weekend. 

@NoneOtherThanAmy and @AB_MN, I think we're all on the same wavelength. I've been toying with the idea of having more starchy veggies to see if it will boost my energy levels, and yes! they do!!  I've not been avoiding them on purpose, either, but my metabolism must require some more carbs to keep me propped up and going strong during the day. 

We buy 1/2 grass-fed beef every fall and love it.  Also a prior chicken and eggs and honey bee keeper. Do it!  You'll learn so much! :)

Rocked tonight's BBQ with filet mignon, sweet potatoes, broccoli with ghee and some fresh fruit and veggies!  Feeling quite satisfied and pleased. Two thumbs up!

So happy to see so many positive posts this morning! :) I am also feeling and sleeping better again. Phew! I think I need to limit fruit to one serving per day and it needs to NOT be with/after dinner (no no Sugar Dragon) and I am definitely staying away from dates and loads of nut butter. The only nut butter I will be having is the tablespoon on my way to the gym in the morning (I had that a few hours ago and belly is still in its proper place, so hoping that means we're in the clear!). 

I also like to eat the same thing every day, @Susabella627, but found this round of W30 that I ran into food boredom much more/more quickly. Plus I think too much of some of the same things might overdo it on my digestive system. I need to take it easy on the sweet potatoes for sure. I threw together a really easy soup/stew inspired by one of OliveYouWhole's posts the other day and am REALLY happy with it. I roasted some tomatillos (cut in half, 8 min broil, flip, 5 min broil) and threw them in the food processor with a handful of cilantro. Then I put that, sauteed green peppers and onions, and some roasted and shredded chicken in the crock pot with vegetable broth on low for like 45 minutes? Salt and pepper. Done. It's thick and hearty as a soup or also as something to throw into your eggs while they're cooking. The tomatillos were a new thing I'd never had before, so I feel like it might be an NSV?  :)

I also have one week until reintroduction! Turns out I'm getting my hair done (cut and color) that day, so it's kind of like a W30 prize! So much to look forward to all in one day! I'm going to start with sugar by itself (1) because I want to see what happens and (2) because I'm having alcohol over the weekend during my birthday celebration. I really feel like re-introduction is the hardest part because it's suddenly SO much more tempting to go off-plan for more than just the one day or to go off with more than one off-plan ingredient (can I get a pizza, please?!?) so looking forward to having this group's help through the next struggle!

Great job navigating the weekend, everyone! Happy Week 4!

You guys I made the BEST dinner tonight. Had a craving for pizza so decided to make Italian. I mixed cauliflower rice and egg (and spices) and pan fried it to give it kind of a burny taste and piled pan fried (also crispy) spinach, marinara sauce, peppers, onions, and ground bison on top, all with garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. 

I don't feel like it was Sex With My Pants On because it really didn't taste anything like pizza and those aren't even ingredients I would put on a pizza. I didn't miss cheese and the cauliflower wasn't anything like crust so it really just felt like veggies + meat + sauce but MAN did it hit the spot. With all the food boredom talk, I just wanted to share the victory.  :D

I'm really dreading these last few days - I just want to be there already! - so really trying to look for the positive. 

Have a good week everyone!

Emily that sounds delish!  I did a quick grocery shopping and found frozen peppers (red, green and yellow), with white onion  all ready to go, which I plan on using in my omelet in the morning as a change from spinach. I made a food discovery today - cantaloupe  is not my friend. Had some with lunch and about a half hour later I had stomach cramps they quieted down by dinner, but I had a little more melon with breakfast today, same reaction (even worse cuz it kinda went right thru me) but thankfully felt ok a few hours later. 

Think I am a week behind you guys as I am only going into week 3 now... BUMMER! but will get there soon enough. 

Hope everyone is hanging in there!!  

@emilyelowe That dinner sounds wonderful! I agree that it doesn't sound like SWYPO and I'm glad you got some delicious food out of the craving. 

@Susabella627 It is a bummer that you're not on the same week as us! I'm glad you joined in with our group though. We definitely enjoy your insights and company in here. :) 

I've been noticing that my cravings have changed in the last week. I no longer start salivating when I walk by the bakery department at the grocery store. Things still look good, but I'm not craving them like I was. I feel like I might be able to make a good decision about dessert once I get to food freedom. That's a big NSV for me! 

Those frozen veggies sound great @Susabella627! I was actually just thinking that I feel like I remember buying that kind of mix frozen waaaaay back and don't know why I stopped. I definitely need to look for that again. I made a bulk batch for eggs this weekend too! 

@NoneOtherThanAmy that's an AMAZING NSV! I don't think I'm there yet. There is a potluck at work today and I specifically skipped it because I'm feeling pretty weak in the will power department. As I get closer to re-intro my sugar dragon starts to whisper lies about how 25 days is totally the same as 30, so it's safer for me to avoid the area and keep him quiet. 

Feeling good today! Hope you all are too! 

@emilyelowe - love the image.  what sugar are you starting with?   I think it's great you've laid it out so thoughtfully.  

@NoneOtherThanAmy - i hear your about decreased cravings.  I walked by a big box of donuts at work the other day and they looked gross actually.  

I had a near mishap yesterday due to a VERY unpleasant conversation with a close family member.  It didn't go well at all.   I was beyond tempted to just go home and crack open a nice bottle of red wine and eat cheese and crackers.  I tried to think if it was worth it.   I realized I'd only be making things worse but wasn't sure what to do with all that anger and sadness still brewing inside me like a crazy storm.  So, I stopped at the gardening store on the way home, bought some plants, came home and worked outside until I settled down.  I didn't even go inside until I felt better.   And, then I went upstairs and binged watch NetFlix until bedtime.  

So, I know by removing all these foods from our diets, we are supposed to notice the physical changes (no more skin issues or digestion problems or energy levels tanking) but I'm noticing how I use food to deal with emotions.    TMI.  Sorry if so.  

I want to figure out my plan like Emily has done above to add back in starting D31.  That's neat idea to write onto your actual calendar!  

@Susabella627 - how are you holding up? 

@Steph the Desert Rat - how was camping?  Was it you that was going?  Did it go OK?  It's usually so fun (if the weather cooperates). 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, AB_MN said:

So, I know by removing all these foods from our diets, we are supposed to notice the physical changes (no more skin issues or digestion problems or energy levels tanking) but I'm noticing how I use food to deal with emotions.    TMI.  Sorry if so.  . 

This is HUGE!  No need to apologize or even think it is TMI.  I think you'll find you get responses from people who say 'me too'.  It's standard to use food, booze, drugs to mask emotions... they all hit the same pleasure receptors in our brains and we develop habits and coping mechanisms to be in a constant state of euphoria and shove those other emotions like anger, grief, sadness, frustration down... but those emotions are JUST as important and valid as the happy go lucky emotions.  It's so totally cool that you're discovering this and that you've shared it... maybe it will encourage others to consider how they may have an emotional relationship with food... a LOT of us do but many never notice or make strides to find new coping mechanisms... planting new flowers is a great way to deal with it.. especially because you can't dig a hole and overhand throw the plants into the ground, you have to be somewhat gentle, which forces you to calm down.  

I totally agree with @SugarcubeOD, @AB_MN!!  That is just AWESOME that you had awareness enough to CHOOSE and then ACT on something different than the wine and cheese and crackers to deal with the emotions!  Well done, I'm so impressed! :)

I've not gone camping yet--we leave next week, and I've been gathering lots of ideas for continuing on the W30 while there (I technically end the 30 days the day before we leave, but I want to continue and improve upon what I've learned and experienced this past month). 

Question:  anyone ever used Real Plans?  It's taunting me, but I'm not sure that I'd use it, tho it seems a perfect solution for planning and shopping. Any feedback from anyone who has used it?

Cheers to everyone as we see the end goal in site! (La Croix style ;))

@AB_MN Thank you for sharing and that was a hugh NSV!! On my first two whole 30's I discovered that I eat for lots of reasons besides hunger... boredom, anger, frustration, heck we even celebrate all things good with food. Until then I never thought of myself as an "emotional eater". I can't even begin to tell you how I rationalized eating "anything I wanted" during my cancer journey. Though I will say during chemo carbs were about the only thing that tasted good, but then I had no brakes and I knew I wasn't doing myself any favors but I had myself a good long pity party. And gardening was such a great choice as Sugarcube mentioned. I often head to the garden when kids or hubby are getting under my skin lol. 

@Steph the Desert Rat sorry, never tried Real plans but have been hearing it thrown around a lot lately. Found this link that tells how two people used it very successfully -    https://whole30.com/2016/12/real-plans-success/

@NoneOtherThanAmy Happy to hear your cravings are disappearing!! So many good things happening to all of us!!

@emilyelowe Love your reintro schedule and your social calendar - I'm coming to hang with you girl!! lol What a great idea to write it all out like that, gonna do the same thing, I think it is so easy to get off track on reintro so this will help!!

Happy Thursday Everyone!! #homestretch 

@AB_MN I'm sorry about the fight with a family member. Those are the worst. They always know which buttons to push to make us extra crazy. :( I agree with Sugarcube and Steph, your decision to deal with the emotions through gardening was a HUGE NSV. I have always used food to numb my emotions and it has only been in the last few years that I've started to realize it and try to curb it. It's still a work in progress for me though. I still do it unconsciously though, especially while writing and working on talks. Both are very stressful tasks for me and so I make sure I have plenty of "treats" around so that I can make it through the writing. It's amazing that now while I'm on the whole30 I'll be trying to work on my talk and I'll get a random craving for some sweet treat even though I know I'm not hungry. 

@emilyelowe Love the schedule! I've been starting to think about my reintroduction as well. I might try to use July and August as extended reintroduction periods to see if I can look at specific things (like sugar) and combinations of things (like pizza). 

Reading these updates just warms my heart! :wub: 

Glad you enjoyed my re-intro calendar! Haha. I write EVERYTHING down so it is a huge help for me when processing information and it's also helpful as people are asking about things and making plans. People get so focused on the 30 days and forget about re-intro so even people in my life are like, "Oh, you're free so we can eat pizza/wine/ice cream!!," and I'm like, "Um, no. Not until June 26. And also maybe never. :D" And @Susabella627, you just let me know if you are ever in Columbus! ;) AB_MN For sugar, I am planning on some sunflower seed butter with cane sugar instead of my normal sugar-less cashew butter, some jerky with sugar in it, shredded brussel sprouts baked in maple syrup, and my favorite almost compliant treat - Snackaroons! http://www.thelaughinggiraffe.com/lemon-snakaroons.html

@AB_MN (< not sure why that stopped working) THAT IS HUGE! Thank you for opening up and sharing - that is what this is all about. Food is so much more than just food. I eat out of boredom/stress at work. I've found in past Whole30s that if I ever have like a lot to get done or a deadline coming up, I want to snack. And it's kind of counter-intuitive because I waste time looking for the snack and then putting it in my mouth when I usually should be busy typing/working on whatever is due PLUS I don't even enjoy the snack because I'm so sucked into my work. Like, what? Why, brain, why!?! I find I'm also particularly dangerous when my husband is not home because I have the "I'm home alone and no one will know," to go along with my sadness that my husband is not home and THAT is a recipe for disaster. Your channeling that emotion into a positive place is inspiring, so thank you!

I haven't used Real Plans, either, Steph. I'd love to hear what you think if you decide to do it! And good luck with camping prep!

I am definitely having a good day today. I think Day 26 must be my golden ticket. I've been feeling good but I think today I have an extra pep in my step. I'm like saying Good Morning to people and everything. Haha. I've had a couple nights in a row of good sleep which have led to good workouts. This morning I even made gains despite all odds being against me as I was still a bit sore from Monday! What what!?! Plus I read some clarifying info on the forum about the Pre and Post-WO meal yesterday that I put into practice this morning and am just feeling really accomplished because it totally feels sustainable. Very excited! :) Happy Day 26 (or whatever day you are on!)

I had such a weird day yesterday. I've had a migraine on and off for the last few days, so I think that's been affecting me. It's not horrible, but it's enough to disrupt the normal flow of my day. I keep forgetting to take acetaminophen for it and the ibuprofen I used to take all the time has lactose in it, so I'm avoiding that. Yesterday I woke up and made 6 eggs, 2 of which I ate immediately with some leftover ground chicken and veggies. I had some errands to run that morning, and as I was out doing that, I realized I hadn't packed a lunch, so I ran back home. After I got home, I realized I had no more cooked meat, so I thought I'd just throw the leftover eggs into my salad and cook something when I got home. Looked all over the fridge and couldn't find my eggs...yeah, they were still hanging out in the pan from this morning. I never put them away. ARGH!! Definite facepalm moment. I ran to TJs and grabbed some compliant deli meat to throw on my salad and went to work, forgetting to run the final errand on my list. :huh: Then, I came home from work a little later than normal due to the errands in the AM, went out for my run, came back in and realized I STILL had no cooked protein in the house. (Not sure why that was a surprise at this point, lol) Luckily, I had some thawing chicken in the fridge and I just threw it in my pressure cooker. But then I checked for veggies and realized I was running low...like all I had was carrots, celery, radishes and some leftover cooked potatoes. I made it though and ate a nice compliant supper. Grocery shopping is on my to-do list for today. :) 

Here's hoping today goes better than yesterday and everyone else's days are going well!

Sorry for the hecticity (< that word is made up), Amy! Good for you keeping a positive attitude and keeping at it. Especially this late in the game, it would have been easy to throw in the towel, so good for you! I hope today gets better, too!

I start my period next week, so I am also probably not going to feel as awesome as I should very shortly either. Whole30 usually screws with my schedule, so the next few days will be interesting. I'm kind of hoping it comes early so it doesn't mess with my re-intro too much, as I'll have to figure out which symptoms are from what. I was dragging a bit yesterday afternoon, too, and I'm not sure why so curious to see how that goes today. 

Have a great day, everyone!

Happy Friday all, 

Everything is status quo over here, but finding I'm a bit food obsessed thinking of the foods I want to eat on reintro. Wish food didn't occupy so much of my thoughts, have to just stay busy and focus on other things!!

Amy, Sorry you had a weird day yesterday, but you handled it well and once again proven you are not going to be derailed. Hope today is better :)

Emily, good luck managing thru your tom, I guess if it presents a real problem you could continue your whole 30 a few extra days then start reintro, but lets hope you don't have to do that. 

Hope everyone is staying strong!! 

Was thinking about reintroduction and starting to work on a plan. In the past I have never reintroduced Sugar on it's own probably because It is not listed as one of the groups. I do wonder though how much sugar I can add back and still keep the dragon away. And I'm not talking about cakes and cookies and processed foods with sugar in them but more like maybe Bacon with my eggs, or ketchup on a burger.  @emilyelowe I see you have sugar on your calendar, How do you plan on reintroducing it?

@Susabella627 I decided to reintroduce for that same reason. Like, I know donuts are not good for me, but what about "healthy," treats or sneaky things? On my sugar day, I'm going to have some sunflower seed butter, maybe some sausage that I know is made with cane sugar, maple syrup brussel sprouts, and Snackaroons (which I LOVE and could easily go overboard with, so I want to check my psychological reaction to them and know what I'm getting into). 

I am feeling VERY lazy this weekend (hubby is out of town) so actually just logged on to see if I could distract myself from going out to get (compliant) food. So THANK YOU @NoneOtherThanAmy! What a good reminder that choosing to prep food at home is an NSV and a more sustainable way to keep myself happy and healthy. Love you ladies! 

I've really been feeling hopeful that I might actually achieve a little bit of food freedom this time but I, too, am obsessively thinking about reintro and life after. I'm not sure if my deceitful little heart (and stomach) are excited for food freedom or off-plan foods that will send me spiraling into another food nightmare. Eek! Hoping it's the former!

Happy Saturday!  

Happy Day 29! So close! 

I don't think I'm going to hit tiger blood, but I'm very grateful for my stabilized energy levels and new cooking skills. I'm somewhat curious about what the scale will say on Tuesday, but I'm considering throwing it out after weighing myself. I don't think I need it to track progress and tying myself to a number like that isn't necessary. I'll be moving in July and will need to reduce as much 'extra' stuff as I can, so that's another good reason to get rid of it. On the other hand, I am very excited to measure myself because I am hoping to sew a skirt for myself soon and I'm thinking that I've gone down a size or two from the last time I measured myself. :) I'm also knitting a dress for my dissertation defense and I'm thinking I'll have to make fewer tweaks to the sizing when I get down to the hip area.

I'm going to start off with reintroducing non-gluten grains (rice, quinoa, and maybe corn) on Tuesday and then go with gluten on Friday. We'll see how I react to gluten and if I can, I'll do legumes the next week, and possibly sugar right before I leave. I'm skipping dairy altogether right now because I already know I'm sensitive to it and I don't miss it all that much. I'm hoping when I get back from my trip I can get back to whole30 eating and do an extended reintroduction through July. If that doesn't go as planned, I will commit to doing another whole30 in August and hopefully I'll have time to do an extended reintroduction phase.  My reduction in cravings for sweet things seems to have only been temporary, right now my cravings keep telling me that I need to reintroduce some pastries and cookies so that I'll know their effects and then can avoid them. (Yeah, right! :P)

Archived