Christy's June Whole30

ChristyR

May 24: Planning Day 1

Hello!

This will be my third Whole30, though my first taken from a starting point of really poor health.

Two years ago, I was really hard core Paleo and seriously into CrossFit. I completed the CrossFit Open three times and did a few regional competitions, even winning one. Life happened and I totally fell off the wagon. Gained 60 pounds, got depressed, even sold all my cookbooks because I never thought I'd cook again. I've gone from feeling comfortable in a CrossFit gym to being worn out walking. My psoriasis, well under control before, has been coming back.

So now I'm planning a June Whole30. I will probably do multiple Whole30s because of how far I have to come to be healthy again. This week is my planning week. My new copies of the Whole30 book and the Nom Nom Paleo cookbook arrived today. I made a batch of ghee for cooking. I started menu planning and making a grocery list.

I've done the Whole30 before and I know how much of an effect it can have on health. I'm excited to start living my life again and this Whole30 is going to be a huge part of that.

Whole30 Day 1

I had planned on starting June 1, but decided there was no reason to wait and got started this morning. I weighed myself and I was exactly 200 lbs, the most I have ever weighed.

Today's food:

Breakfast

Black coffee, tangerine, frittata muffin from Nom Nom Paleo

Lunch

Three frittata muffins, five strawberries

Dinner

Grass fed hamburger party, half an avocado, sauteed spinach, half cup of blueberries

Some evenings I hang out at my neighborhood pub, which is where I am right now. They have kombucha on tap, so I can have that instead of beer.

I feel like I'm off to a good start!

Whole30 Day 2

Day 2 went great! I've been having issues with heartburn keeping me awake at night, but no heartburn last night. I'm at my neighborhood pub now, having a ginger kombucha instead of my usual dark beer.

Today's food:

Breakfast

Bulletproof coffee made with ghee and coconut oil. I stopped eating breakfast a while ago and I'm hoping my metabolism will kick in and I'll start feeling hungry in the morning again.

Lunch

Three frittata muffins

Half a cucumber

Five strawberries

Dinner

Grass fed hamburger patty

Half an avocado

Half cup of blueberries

Sauteed spinach with garlic

Having protein + veggies as well with Meal 1 will keep it aligned with the recommended meal template.  Doing the BPC can be a lever to help get you used to eating in the a.m. but a template meal of solid food should still be the goal.

Whole30 Day 3

Today was the kind of day I'd end with a pizza and some red wine. There's a wood-fired pizza place and a wine shop on the same block as my apartment.  

I've been battling anxiety and depression for about a year and a half. I've been seeing a therapist but he's moving and I decided that I'm at a good point to stop. This afternoon was my last session with him.

On the way home I really wanted to eat my feelings via pizza and wine. Instead I took advantage of my apartment building's grill and grilled up a package of burgers. Still felt like a great, but on the plan.

Today's food:

Breakfast

Aidell' s chicken and apple sausage

Sauteed spinach 

Coffee with ghee and coconut oil

Lunch

Three frittata muffins 

Half a cucumber 

Five strawberries 

Dinner

Hamburger patty

Green beans

Half an avocado 

Half cup of blueberries 

Ending the day with a kombucha 

Whole30 Day 4

Thanks Tina Marie!

I'm definitely feeling more energy than I have for a while. I walked to my son's school to pick him up rather than taking the streetcar, which I haven't done in a while. He's with me half time, so tonight was my first night with him since starting the Whole30. We usually get pizza on Thursday night from the local wood fired pizza place. He still got a small pizza there, but I had my usual on-plan dinner. It's a pleasant evening and I'll admit really missing having a glass of wine out on my balcony. Maybe I'll go get some kombucha and have that instead. I'm putting in my grocery order tonight and have plans to make a few recipes from Nom Nom Paleo next week to have a little more variety in my meals.

Breakfast

Coffee with ghee and coconut oil.

Aidell's chicken and apple sausage

Sauteed spinach

Lunch

Three frittata muffins

Cucumber

Strawberries

Dinner

Hamburger patty

Blueberries 

Half an avocado

Green beans

Whole30 Day 5

I had a hard time staying motivated today. I wanted a glass of wine, I wanted a cookie, I wanted some chocolate. I felt really stressed out and just wanted to relax with a glass of wine. I substituted a glass of ginger kombucha in a wine glass. I'll admit I had been self-medicating my anxiety with wine, definitely too much. Getting that habit under control will be a huge win. My grocery delivery comes tonight so I'll have more meal variety this week, which I think will help.

Breakfast

Black coffee

Aidell's chicken sausage

Lunch

Three frittata muffins

Half a cucumber

Five strawberries

Snack

Hamburger patty

Dinner

Aidell's chicken sausage

Eat Your Veggies salad from Elephant's Deli

Banana

plus a few glasses of kombucha

Whole30 Day 5 Addendum

I was feeling pretty crummy tonight - carb flu type symptoms. Headache with lots of cravings. It occurred to me that the answer to my cravings was chicken broth. I haven't been having very much salt in my meals, so the salty umami goodness of chicken broth sounded perfect. I walked to the corner store and bought a few cans of compliant broth. Mmm - really hitting the spot!

Hang in there !!  Good call with the broth  !  I had that on Saturday night -  I do suggest if you have the energy /time on a weekend, try your hand at making your own.  Tastes entirely different than a can.  my chicken broth ends up looking like beef broth !  I have an InstaPot pressure cooker and it is wonderful when it comes to making broth.

can't wait to see what you come up for meals

PS  not judging - just offering suggestion.  You aren't eating enough veggies ......  if you go back and look - you are skimping !  No skimping !   LOL   Love yourself by giving yourself enough to eat.  

So I hit a rough patch. Starting Saturday I felt really depressed and fell off the Whole30 wagon big time. It started with drinking alcohol and continued with three days of binge eating. Today I was too depressed to get out of bed.

I'm prepping for tomorrow to be better. I made another batch of nom nom Paleo frittata muffins. Tonight I'm going to make a bunch of zucchini noodles and a tomato beef sauce so dinner is ready when I get home.

I found a 6 am exercise class to attend tomorrow.  My depression is deepest when I wake up, so I'm going to try to tackle it with exercise first thing.

Thanks for your advice, Tina Marie! I will try to eat more.

Good luck with the exercise class. My depression and anxiety have been really bad lately too. Sometimes all i can do is focus on putting one foot in front of the other, literally. Walk to the kitchen, make food, walk to the table, force food down my throat, etc. Some days are better than others. Exercise helps.  One day (or hour, or minute) at a time and when it's too much, go to bed. That's my mantra anyway. Hugs

Archived