Day 17 and still bloated!!

Hello! 

I'm on day 17 of my first whole30, and my bloating has been out of control! I didn't have a very good diet before starting, so I know it may be due to my digestive tract trying to adjust to the new food. However, after 17 days, I am getting a pretty discouraged. Also, I never bloated like this before whole30 (maybe after a big dinner), and feel like I am just continuously growing bigger and bigger with all of the bloat! It continues to increase throughout the day, but I can even see a little bit after waking up in the morning (I feel like it never, truly goes away). By the end of the day, my "food baby" makes me feel double my regular size. I try to pay attention to FOODMAPs and don't eat very many nuts. I try to stick to no more than 2 servings of fruit as well. My diet mainly consists of aidells chicken sausage for breakfast (sometimes an egg with spinach or a few grapes along with it), a salad (with a boiled egg or chicken, and carrots) or dinner leftovers for lunch, and some type of meat (typically part of a grilled chicken breast) and veggies like a sweet potato or spaghetti squash for dinner. I have started using digestive enzymes, but I am desperate for some relief soon. I just want the body back that I had 17 days ago! Any help is greatly appreciated... thanks!!

Hey there - I know you've given us a brief description of what you've been eating, but can you be more specific?

List out exactly what you have eaten over the past 3-4 days & we can take a better look.... please be specific about veg types, portion sizes, liquid intake etc. Sometimes these things are all about 'load' and it could be that you've gone over yours with some combination of foods...

Thanks jmcbn! Heres a few examples:

(I drink a glass of water at every meal, and try to drink a water bottle or two throughout the day)

Day 1: M1: 1 aidells chicken sausage, handful of grapes 

M2: romaine salad with half chicken breast, 1 boiled egg, and a handful of carrots (maybe 5-10), Franks hot sauce 

M3: other half of chicken breast and a sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon 

Day 2: M1: aidells chicken sausage, half baked sweet potato 

M2: other half of sweet potato, 2 scrambled eggs, a few carrots dipped in guac 

M3: spaghetti squash with meatballs and marinara sauce (W30 compliant of course) 

Day 3: M1: aidells chicken sausage, 1 egg with spinach, a few grapes 

M2: half chicken breast, a few strawberries and handful of grapes cut up, Larabar 

M3: 1 fillet (about the size of my palm), half a sweet potato, small side salad topped with boiled egg and hot sauce 

26 minutes ago, Katie L. said:

Day 1: M1: 1 aidells chicken sausage, handful of grapes 

M2: romaine salad with half chicken breast, 1 boiled egg, and a handful of carrots (maybe 5-10), Franks hot sauce 

M3: other half of chicken breast and a sweet potato with ghee and cinnamon 

Day 2: M1: aidells chicken sausage, half baked sweet potato 

M2: other half of sweet potato, 2 scrambled eggs, a few carrots dipped in guac 

M3: spaghetti squash with meatballs and marinara sauce (W30 compliant of course) 

Day 3: M1: aidells chicken sausage, 1 egg with spinach, a few grapes 

M2: half chicken breast, a few strawberries and handful of grapes cut up, Larabar 

M3: 1 fillet (about the size of my palm), half a sweet potato, small side salad topped with boiled egg and hot sauce 

Ok, so I'd ditch the sweet potato for starters & go with white potato, parsnip or similar as far as starchy veg is concerned. Eaten in the quantity you've listed out here it could be problematic.

The larabar won't be doing you any favours either - was this meal some kind of emergency?

In general I think you could do with more non starchy veg - especially greens like spinach, kale, collards, etc. Remember that fruit shouldn't push veg off of your plate. FILL your plate with veg & if you've room for some fruit after you've eaten, or you want to add a few berries to your salad then go for it.

You could also do with more fat - other than the guac & ghee you don't mention any & that's only 2 meals out of 9... 

If what  you're drinking in water equates to a half an ounce per pound of body weight ten you;re good there, if not you need more.

So less starch, less fruit, more greens, more fat and you should see things settle...

Hope this helps :)

Archived