Starting June 19th

Aurora Blue

@WholeChristina What a cute puppy!! Beautiful eyes!

OK, truth time! Hubby and I fell off the wagon on the 4th. Actually he did before then. Food was all good and continues to be so. I began rummaging through my cookbooks and found so many Whole 30 compliant recipes it's great! We feel like we're eating fairly normal.  After drinking on the 4th I felt yucky on the 5th and to think feeling like that in the morning was normal for me.

Even though I'm sure I've screwed up my total end results without starting over ( which I'm not) I feel really good!  Cutting out everything like we have has had amazing results for both my husband and me. mod edit to remove discussions of scale. he won't stop weighing himself. I've not weighed but my clothes are fitting much better and my stomachs gone down,  yay! Both our blood pressures are awesome! Mine was kind of high, his was off the charts. So much so, when he went to a doctors appointment a few months back they didn't want to let him leave.                                                                                             I can't say I have boundless amounts of energy but I have energy from when I wake up until mid evening. This is huge, I usually would begin to crash around 4 or 5. Hitting the gym 5 days a week, finally committing more importantly. My son and I ran the Peachtree road race on the 4th, my 4th time and this was the first time I wasn't ready to pass out at the end. I felt great and not winded. My son, looked like he was about to pass out and commented on how good of shape I was in. He's 14.

I think one of the most important thing for us though is we've been able to recognize our bad habits and why and when they occur. Why we looked forward to wine so much at night, and why the snacking and all the cravings.  What are these behaviors replacing or filling? I think half the stuff I eat in between meals is primarily because it makes me feel good. I'm certainly not starving. 

We will continue the journey, we don't miss most of what we cut out and will continue to stick to the plan short of making ourselves miserable! 

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Ljoatl said:

We will continue the journey, we don't miss most of what we cut out and will continue to stick to the plan short of making ourselves miserable! 

What does 'short of making ourselves miserable' mean?  I've edited your post to remove the scale discussion as it is against the rules and while you're not on Whole30 anymore, it's not for the main boards.  Just a reminder that should you want to discuss what you're eating/drinking that does not fit in the Whole30, we'll ask that you go to a thread on the 'Life After Whole30' section.

3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

What does 'short of making ourselves miserable' mean?  I've edited your post to remove the scale discussion as it is against the rules and while you're not on Whole30 anymore, it's not for the main boards.  Just a reminder that should you want to discuss what you're eating/drinking that does not fit in the Whole30, we'll ask that you go to a thread on the 'Life After Whole30' section.

Wow! OK Apparently this is not the place for being completely honest. FYI I'm still on the whole 30 lest the wine on the 4th. But that said I don't feel it's productive for a moderator to tell me whether I'm still on it or not. Ifmy honesty was counter productive to any of you I apologize, clearly that wasn't the intent. 

Now that I feel really bad, I'll continue without the support of this thread. I wish you all the best you're done great!

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Ljoatl said:

Wow! OK Apparently this is not the place for being completely honest. FYI I'm still on the whole 30 lest the wine on the 4th. But that said I don't feel it's productive for a moderator to tell me whether I'm still on it or not. Ifmy honesty was counter productive to any of you I apologize, clearly that wasn't the intent. 

Now that I feel really bad, I'll continue without the support of this thread. I wish you all the best you're done great!

Knowingly breaking the rules means the Whole30 is over, sorry, that's the rules.  If you want to keep going, you're welcome to add on days or change your count to start over, but it's our job as moderators to manage the boards... I was merely asking that should you want to continue not following the rules (which is why I asked what 'short of making ourselves miserable' meant because that sounds to me that you're going to do it with exceptions so you're not unhappy... )if that was the case, then my post stands that we would ask that you post in the After Whole30 section.  If you're back on track, starting over etc, then of course we welcome you to stay on these boards and in the group!  But there's no such thing as Whole30+wine.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Knowingly breaking the rules means the Whole30 is over, sorry, that's the rules.  If you want to keep going, you're welcome to add on days or change your count to start over, but it's our job as moderators to manage the boards... I was merely asking that should you want to continue not following the rules (which is why I asked what 'short of making ourselves miserable' meant because that sounds to me that you're going to do it with exceptions so you're not unhappy... )if that was the case, then my post stands that we would ask that you post in the After Whole30 section.  If you're back on track, starting over etc, then of course we welcome you to stay on these boards and in the group!  But there's no such thing as Whole30+wine.

I take care of a mom with Alzheimer's so I know what tough is. I also own the book so I know how this works. "Making ourselves miserable" meant fighting with my husband to keep him on track.... Fighting makes us miserable. You miss understood me and thus injected your own assumptions.  In less than a couple of minutes you managed to suck up my incredible enthusiasm for this program. My husband and I have had great results in 3 weeks and I've felt empowered up until this moment and your words. I will continue however without these strong men and women for support but I definitely don't ever want to feel this bad again especially after so much success.

@WholeChristina  What a sweet little puppy.  Thank you for being a foster "pooch parent" !   

We are looking forward to a busy week, so have to do some solid planning for W30 meals.  I have continued to weight lift 5X a week with a pre/post meal.  Biggest change for us has been reduced fruit plus no snacking.  We really had a in-trenched habit of a big bedtime snack.  It feels good when we manage the "screaming toddler" inside who demands a snack, a diet coke, or something sweet.  (I know,  you are not suppose to give a toddler diet coke.)  Right now our 'toddlers' are in a long-term  "time-out!! 

Good luck everyone... home stretch.  I am eager to start the 'Reintroduction' process. 

Help please -- I'm not tech savvy.... how do I embed a message directly into my post? 

@Ljoatl  I hope you decide to stay with the group :)

Today is leftovers day.  I froze some of the chicken adding to my freezer hoarding stash.  There are some must-goes in the refrigerator that will taste good -- flank steak, hard boiled eggs and last bit of chicken.  I have  vegetables to roast up and I'm all set.

Either later tonight or tomorrow, I'll do another quick cook-up of hard boiled eggs, sweet potato hash and grilled chicken.

I woke up last night with a headache and the feeling I'm getting sick.  I hope not.  If I am, I know it's from my lack of sleep.  Today is a rest day for workouts and I'm glad.  Out shopping with a friend later today.  

Day 22 - hope it's a good one for us all!

22 hours ago, Ljoatl said:

I take care of a mom with Alzheimer's so I know what tough is. I also own the book so I know how this works. "Making ourselves miserable" meant fighting with my husband to keep him on track.... Fighting makes us miserable. You miss understood me and thus injected your own assumptions.  In less than a couple of minutes you managed to suck up my incredible enthusiasm for this program. My husband and I have had great results in 3 weeks and I've felt empowered up until this moment and your words. I will continue however without these strong men and women for support but I definitely don't ever want to feel this bad again especially after so much success.

@Ljoatl that is a tough situation you are in, my grandad had dementia so I know how all consuming, exhausting and heartbreaking it can be. I am going to carry on after the 30 days as have just started the low FODMAP foods so will carry on posting if anyone else is, so I'll be here for you. Don't let outside influences get you down or kill your enthusiasm, you are doing this for you and you should be proud of yourself.

Not a lot to report today.  

I did my mini cook-up last night and my family ate the chicken :wacko: ... I still have other left-overs so I'm okay.  I hit the watermelon hard at dinner -- a bit too hard.  A good watermelon gets me every time!  It's gone today (thanks family for this one) and I'll take a break from it until W30 is finished.

I got a reasonable night's sleep and I feel better today.  I have a barbell lift class this afternoon.  It's endurance month - hard, but good!

Have a good Day 23 ... almost there!!

Day 24.

I have contractors here all day (again) and today they need to be inside.  Stress, barking, crazy-time, etc.  It's going to be a challenging day.  The timing of a week of painting and repairs just blows.  My foster can't handle the strangers and noises - she's flipping out - and it's stressing the entire household.  I'm trying to take care of her and everyone else.  Keep the peace, help her to adjust ...

I woke up feeling unwell again this morning.  Sore throat, headache -- I think it's a pre-sick warning.  Get more sleep or else!  I'm hanging onto "healthy" by a thread.  Sunday the foster will go to her new home and I plan to sleep for days -- or at least all night!  I wonder if I can stay up for Game of Thrones Sunday?  Winter is coming -- yea!!

I need to cook my lunch and dinner meals this morning.  I know this day is hectic and I need my eating to be planned ahead - even my vegetables.  Control what I can control.  Crazy starts at 10am.

I might need to hit my freezer stash this week too.  I'm so glad it's there!!  :)

Day 25 ... this is the real-deal final countdown to a completed W30!

I'm happy I chose to do another full W30 round.  I couldn't get back to a good rhythm doing a day or two ... or a meal or two ... I tried.  Over and over.  

I'm back in control.  Vegetables have made their way to my plate again.  I feel better.  All the good stuff is back in play.  These final days are helping to secure the healthy habits as I head to Food Freedom.  (If you haven't read the book, FFF -- it's my favorite -- highly recommend it!)

I'm not doing the reintroduction phase, since I have before and I know where the culprits hide for me.  I'm heading back to a Food Freedom that worked well until my vacations bowled me over!  I'd like to hope this will be my last W30, but probably not :wacko:

Today I'm hitting some freezer stash.  I have a late afternoon dentist appointment that will mess up my schedule.  (Plus puppy, contractors - the usual complaints lol).  I'll decide "what" on the fly.  I'm using a FoodSaver now and it rocks!  I can heat the frozen stuff in some water (the seal is that good) and it's perfect.  

P.S.  I follow Whole30 on Instagram (I just joined) ... and I think my next kitchen toy is the InstaPot.  Anyone have one?  Do you like it?  The spaghetti squash is enough to sell me on it.  7 minutes.  Wow. 

Today is (hopefully) the last tough day.  

The exterior doors are getting painted and need to stay open to dry - fun with two dogs.  AC (on it's last legs) will be shut off since new one is on order and I don't need it to break completely.  It will be in the 90's, high humidity.  Yuck all around.

I have some of my lunch ready but I need to cook vegetables before the lock-down begins.  

I'm going to try to get a quick interval run before everything gets going.  It's more a mental need than a physical one.  My legs would be happy with rest, but my mind needs some zone out time.

That's my Day 26 in a nutshell.  Freezer stash for dinner again.  I should be able to cook this weekend.

It's super quiet on this thread!!  I hope you all are doing well and busy with some fun stuff :D

I like the routine of posting, so here's a quick one.

Yesterday was terrible but it's over.  So crazy and stressful, I got in bed and realized I forgot to eat dinner.  I was too tired to do anything about it.  I had a pre/post workout snack, breakfast and a late lunch ... so not ridiculous, but not good either.  I was really hungry this morning.

Today is grocery store day and a quick cook up.  I haven't decided on anything yet - something basic I'm sure.

Dogs are barking ... got to run.  Have a good Day 27!

Today is ADOPTION Day - praise be to all that is good!!

It will be a great day but probably one of the harder nights this W30.  I will want to celebrate, relax, reward.  I'll be a little sad too (I love this sweet pup).  All my emotional triggers to eat wrapped into one night.  I need to stay focused.  Day 28.  It would be a shame to stop when I'm so close - a promise, commitment to myself is important.  Plus, falling off tonight will be a BIG fall if it happens.  Not good.  Being prepared for the triggers is half the battle for me.  I'm looking forward to how I feel after some sleep - it should be awesome!!

I made sweet potato hash, shredded crockpot chicken and vegetables for a quick cook yesterday.  Blueberries are perfect right now.  The combination of blueberries, sweet potato and cauliflower made for interesting stomach-mates last night.  The "dogs" were really gassy ;)  Green beans and some "easier" vegetables are probably wise today!!

Hubby and I are going out to brunch after the adoption this morning.  I try to stay clear of eating out on a W30, but this place is a doable choice.  I'll miss the slice of homemade grain bread with homemade jam and the bite of hubby's banana pancakes, but I love EGGS!  Poached to perfection and I never poach at home - so it will be good too.

I feel like I'm sort of talking to myself lately :P but I hope everyone is doing well.  

P.S.  My Instant Pot (I had the name wrong) came yesterday.  It's still in the box.  I'll try it later this week -- can't wait!

• Moderators
10 hours ago, WholeChristina said:

Today is ADOPTION Day - praise be to all that is good!!

It will be a great day but probably one of the harder nights this W30.  I will want to celebrate, relax, reward.  I'll be a little sad too (I love this sweet pup).  All my emotional triggers to eat wrapped into one night.  I need to stay focused.  Day 28.  It would be a shame to stop when I'm so close - a promise, commitment to myself is important.  Plus, falling off tonight will be a BIG fall if it happens.  Not good.  Being prepared for the triggers is half the battle for me.  I'm looking forward to how I feel after some sleep - it should be awesome!!

I made sweet potato hash, shredded crockpot chicken and vegetables for a quick cook yesterday.  Blueberries are perfect right now.  The combination of blueberries, sweet potato and cauliflower made for interesting stomach-mates last night.  The "dogs" were really gassy ;)  Green beans and some "easier" vegetables are probably wise today!!

Hubby and I are going out to brunch after the adoption this morning.  I try to stay clear of eating out on a W30, but this place is a doable choice.  I'll miss the slice of homemade grain bread with homemade jam and the bite of hubby's banana pancakes, but I love EGGS!  Poached to perfection and I never poach at home - so it will be good too.

I feel like I'm sort of talking to myself lately :P but I hope everyone is doing well.  

P.S.  My Instant Pot (I had the name wrong) came yesterday.  It's still in the box.  I'll try it later this week -- can't wait!

You're not talking to yourself... I read every post :)  Congrats on the doggy adoption and the amazingly good night of sleep you'll have tonight!  You're totally allowed to reward and celebrate a great accomplishment like this, it's just that we need to start looking outside of food to do that!  How about a new toy to play with the resident dogs with, or a bubble bath before bed tonight... something that you don't normally do/buy/participate in that you enjoy :)

The blueberries and sweet potato sound good... the cauliflower makes me make a face ;)  Glad you were able to blame the gas on the dogs ;)  If you love blueberries, I have an amazing breakfast to share with you... it's weird sounding but go with it!

Dress some fresh arugula with a touch of rice wine vinegar and olive oil.  Scramble some eggs with salt pepper and a titch of garlic.  Dump the eggs on the arugula and then top with blueberries (I use fresh picked that I've frozen).  It's so good!  You gotta do the rice wine vinegar part tho because the acid is what gives it the magic!  Let me know if you try it!

Grilled steak, tators and salad!   Managed eating out last night.  Hamburger -- no bun or cheese or other 'stuff'.  You know you are getting a good hamburger when it can stand alone on the plate!   The artichoke dip and French fries were not even tempting.  Now that is progress.  

What should I know about an "Instant Pot" ??

@SugarcubeOD  Thanks for the breakfast idea.  I'll be making it this week - added to my grocery list!!  And thanks for reading too :)

@Miss Kitty  The Instant Pot is a pressure cooker - lots of safety, easy (or so I've heard).  Crockpot on steroids.  Glad you had a good time out!

Adoption went fantastic (she's a happy little girl).  House got cleaned and reassembled after puppy-proofing.  Brunch was good too.

We ended up having our son and his girlfriend over to watch Game of Thrones (their free HBO trial ended that morning - HBO is no dummy ;)). I put together a small spread of snack stuff for them.  It actually didn't tempt me - sweets and cheese - that's a win.  I did have an evening snack though- watermelon.  I planned to stay away until W30 ended, but hubby bought one for me so I'd have something too.  Sweet man.  I ate a few pieces of chicken with it for a little balance.  Overall, considering everything, I'm happy with the way the evening went.  There is a little bit of watermelon leftover today.  It was a small one with only the middle being yummy enough to eat -- that's good - built in portion control.

Today is another contractor day - 3 coming this morning.  We are under some strange cloud of broken EVERYTHING - it's almost laughable.  I was able to get them all here around the same time!  If they finish early enough, I'll start making grocery store rounds.  I'm ready to do some cooking!  And learn my Instant Pot!

Sleep was good last night, but not long enough.  I stayed up to watch Game of Thrones and am up earlier than I wanted to be for the contractors.  Still, it feels good.  (Staying up was my own dumb doing.)  Tonight will be the mega sleep night - can't wait.  Bed early, no alarm.

@SugarcubeOD  I'll be focused on non-food rewards this week.  I like to reward myself during a W30 especially, but life got hectic and that went by the wayside.  Pedicure is first up on my list!  Thanks for the reminder. 

@SugarcubeOD  The recipe burned a hole ... had to try it.  I ran (sans shower, but I changed out of my PJs) to the closest store.  I was up against the clock of contractor time and needing to eat!  I did it!!  Delicious.  Something different to try!  I ate my green beans on the side and it was a good breakfast!! :D  Enough to have again tomorrow!!  Thanks :)

IMG_1170.JPG

• Moderators
3 hours ago, WholeChristina said:

@SugarcubeOD  The recipe burned a hole ... had to try it.  I ran (sans shower, but I changed out of my PJs) to the closest store.  I was up against the clock of contractor time and needing to eat!  I did it!!  Delicious.  Something different to try!  I ate my green beans on the side and it was a good breakfast!! :D  Enough to have again tomorrow!!  Thanks :)

IMG_1170.JPG

That looks amazing!  Glad you liked it!!

Hey all, last day tomorrow! Been quiet on the thread as have had a very busy week and trying to concentrate on low FODMAP foods only as IBS symptoms have not been great. Good news is that symptoms are improving massively and I finally feel like I'm getting there. 

Im going to weigh and measure on day 31 but am going to delay reintroduction for 2 weeks to see if I can feel some more benefits. After that I have social events and a holiday that I want to be able to eat and drink certain things so I'll try them out well in advance.

One huge NSV, this weekend I went to my friends 40th birthday party. It was at her house so there was food and lots and lots of free flowing alcohol. I was the ONLY one not drinking but I just drank water and didn't feel like I missed out at all. I was quite glad that I couldn't drink as I didn't miss the handover the next day. 

Hope everyone is finishing strong and have some great NSVs to share!

@WholeChristina it sounds like you've had your hands full too, good job on sticking to it and kudos on taking care of pups when they need someone

Last day!  

I have no particular plans post-W30.  I LOVE the philosophy of Food Freedom Forever and will use it again going forward - is it worth it or not?  I'll skim the book tonight to refresh and re-inspire.

I finally got the MEGA sleep last night.  11 hours and 20 minutes.  Lordy I was stiff rolling out of bed, but it feels good to have slept.  Tonight will be the Goldilocks sleep - not too much or too little - just right.

I won't weigh myself tomorrow.  I gave up the scale after my second W30.  I thought the number didn't mean anything to me, but when it was higher than I thought, I was really upset - it put a damper on all my success that W30.  Stupid, I know.  But I decided it wasn't worth it - so I haven't weighed again.  My clothes fit fine and I feel slimmer.  That's enough.  Turns out that number held too much power (for me).

I have a workout class scheduled at noon and I'll do my grocery store loop after.  Time to restock.

I planned to have some non-food rewards tomorrow, but my main AC is getting replaced and it's an all day job.  Rewards will have to wait until later.

@Aurora Blue  I'm glad you are finally having some relief of symptoms!  Good on you for handling the party so successfully!!

Signing off!   First W30 in the books!   Bye everyone.  Blessings on your journey!

@SugarcubeOD    Quick 'Reintroduction' question:  We receive a W30 daily email.   The email today suggested starting with our first reintro Food as "Dairy".  Our W30 books suggest "Legumes"??  

Archived