Mayo Question

DeeRT

Hi all....

I have a curiosity question regarding our beloved Whole30 mayo.  

In every recipe I have ever seen, from Julia Child to Gordon Ramsay to Jamie Oliver to Escoffier, they only use egg yolks for mayonnaise.  No matter if done by hand or in a food processor, only egg yolks.  And yes, all of these mayo recipes were in fact Whole30 compliant.

Has anyone tried immersion blender mayo with only yolks?  Does anyone know why we use a whole egg?

Thanks for helping to indulge my curiosity.

13 minutes ago, DeeRT said:

Hi all....

I have a curiosity question regarding our beloved Whole30 mayo.  

In every recipe I have ever seen, from Julia Child to Gordon Ramsay to Jamie Oliver to Escoffier, they only use egg yolks for mayonnaise.  No matter if done by hand or in a food processor, only egg yolks.  And yes, all of these mayo recipes were in fact Whole30 compliant.

Has anyone tried immersion blender mayo with only yolks?  Does anyone know why we use a whole egg?

Thanks for helping to indulge my curiosity.

Some recipes use the whole egg and eliminate adding any water. How thick and yolky do you want it? Yolks only may taste more unctuous to you.  

The Food Lab finally changed their two minute mayo to one egg, no water, figuring egg whiles were mostly water and being unable to taste the difference. 

While I made mayo by hand back in the 70's, these days I only use a stick blender. 

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/video-food-lab-foolproof-homemade-mayonnaise.html

Archived