Ketones

TJJ

Hey there 

just wondering if anyone has any information about taking therapitic ketones ? They're a supplement that one apparently takes once or twice a day to supposedly put the body in a state of ketosis ( this is obviously not during a Whole30) If anyone has info on this it would be greatly appreciated ! 

Thanks

I'm no expert on this but from what I've read Exogenous Ketones are usually taken for enhanced athletic performance, although they may result in weight loss. Bear in mind that the diet would have to be relatively low carb/ketogenic in the first place in order for them to be effective - just like a diet pill a ketone supplement is not going to negate the consumption of half a dozen doughnuts.

Ketosis isn't something we encourage here so I'd suggest a quick Google on the pros & cons of Exogenous Ketones - there are some great articles out there, although it's a failry new supplement with little to no research on the long term effects of its use.

Hope this helps.

'Fat adapted' means that the body can switch efficiently from burning glucose to burning fat as and when required - the recommended four hour window between meals is encouraged because that's when the body usually starts to need some form of fuel, and if it knows how to effectively burn fat then you won't get that 'hangry' feeling and you may be able to go as long as 8hrs without food (although we don't encourage that, especially for those new to eating this way!!)

Nutritional ketosis (aka keto) on the other hand is when the body is in a metabolic state where the liver produces ketones, which can be used as energy.

So when carbs/glucose intake is restricted the liver doesn't completely break down fat but rather uses it to produce ketones. When ketones are produced faster than the body uses them there is a build up of them in the blood and this is refered to as ketosis.

Like the exogenous ketone supplements there has been very little research into the long term effects of remaining in nutritional ketosis - especially on women, and even more especially in women in the pre/peri/post menopausal age bracket. But there is a lot of evidence out there to suggest that it greatly impacts the female hormones & in turn fertility. I've also had personal experience of women who found themselves to be insulin resistant when trying to come out of long term ketosis, so something else to bear in mind...

Hope this helps :)

Thank you for that 

i guess I'm still a little confused as to the difference between fat adaptation and ketosis , the reason is that in both states if the body happens to be in a state of fat adaptation then it would be burning fat for fule and the byproduct of that is ketones ? Same as ketosis, and in fat adaptation or ketosis If blood sugar levels rise ( due to increased carb intake ) the body would switch to burn the glucose as fuel ? Am I getting that right ?

I thought insulin resistance came from an increase of blood sugar levels not very low blood sugar levels ?

13 hours ago, TJJ said:

the reason is that in both states if the body happens to be in a state of fat adaptation then it would be burning fat for fule and the byproduct of that is ketones ?

No. Fat adaptation does not necessarily result in a low enough level of the glucose to result in the liver producing the ketones. Fat adaptation means the body will burn glucose AND fat, depending on what's available. It can take around two weeks for the body to become fat adapted when eating with that aim.

Nutritional ketosis does not happen over night, so one day of low carb eating will not result in the production of ketones. It's a metabolic state and not something you can switch off & on from one day to the next.

Insulin resistance in ketosis is thought to happen to preserve glucose for the brain, which needs some small level of glucose to function. It's a physiological adaptation and as such it can take time for the body to adjust to higher levels of glucose in the diet when they are re-introduced.

Archived