9/13 Start

A Man Duh

Hi! Anyone else starting tomorrow? This will be my 2nd round (first was over a year ago) - I'm excited to feel good again, but I definitely don't feel very prepared at the moment. Over the weekend I'll have a chance to meal prep, but for the next few days it's going to be a struggle. My toddler isn't the most patient little human and I can already see the meltdowns coming when I have to spend more than 5 seconds preparing food. Oh well, I'm gonna jump in anyway! 

Would love to connect with others this time around if anyone's interested! 

Hi @A Man Duh - I went directly into my "second" Whole 30 on the 13th (also my daughter's 13th birthday).  Last week was tough for me as Tuesday and Wednesday I had very long days in SF for a tradeshow.  I stayed with compliant foods, but my plates weren't always 100% on template.  Worse, Thursday night something didn't agree with me and I've had an upset stomach ever since.  I think I'm starting to feel better (seems like every time I say that, I wake up feeling like crud again).  Even with the upset tummy, I am keeping my foods compliant - not always hitting template, but at least when I can eat, I'm doing my best and staying compliant so I'd call that good given my circumstances.  

It's Day 5 -- how are you holding up?  Did you get the hangover or want to kill all things?  In my first round, I followed the expectation timeline pretty closely - it was almost eerie.  It must be tough with a toddler.  I have a 13 year old and 15 year old along with my husband - none of whom are doing this with me.  I cook most dinners (and when my husband does, he keeps my stuff compliant).  I thought it would be more difficult as I wasn't exactly able to "clear the pantry" and we have had some really NON-compliant foods and snacks around during my entire journey.  

Hey @Rottiegirl2017 - thanks for the reply and congrats on finishing round 1! I hope you're feeling much better today. Hang in there! 

Unfortunately, I'm kind of in the same boat - my tummy has been off since yesterday. I don't remember this happening the first time around! Really eager to get past this. 

Other than that, it's been going well. Maybe a mild hangover feeling the first few days, but haven't wanted to kill all the things. I've already noticed a major improvement in sleep (which as you know with a toddler is EVERYTHING!) I was also able to do a ton of prep over the weekend, so feeling very prepared for the week ahead. It's such a great feeling to open up a fridge full of compliant options! 

Good for you for staying strong with a house of non-whole 30ers... my husband is doing it with me (with a few tweaks) so that part has been nice. I think you should get bonus points for doing it with non-compliant foods in the house, ha.

I'm curious - what made you decide to do 2 rounds? Are you adopting this permanently? I love the food and don't have a problem with eating this way most of the time, but I do love me some wine, cheese, ice cream, etc - so I'll need to make room for indulgences... it's always so hard to find that balance, though :)

Hi @A Man Duh!  I'm glad to be here.  I enjoy communicating with others going through the process - keeps me focused, accountable, gives me an outlet to share, and I genuinely love hearing others stories, successes, and challenges.  It is a bit hard to share too much at home as it seems those who don't go through the process don't quite understand.  My husband is "supportive" in his own way, but it's just different.  

I'm sorry your tummy is upset and I hope it passes soon.  I think I had caught a bit of a bug at the show (one of my coworkers ended up not feeling well either and we didn't eat the same foods).  That is great that your husband is going through this with you - even if he is tweaking it a little bit.  Prep is absolutely key.  A big lifesaver I found was to find and prepare one crock pot meal a week (I have Paleo Beef Chili with Sweet Potato in the crock pot right now).  These typically make a ton and provide lots of leftovers.

Why am I continuing........the short answer is:  I'm not missing anything and would really like to just continue to eat like this for good.  The long answer is: I kinda went into this thinking that I would really like to do a Whole 90.   I started with the commitment to complete a Whole30.  I've never done this before, had heard great stories and some people say that they "hated every second" so I wasn't too sure how I would handle it.  That and 30 days brought me to my daughter's bday and the tradeshow I had to attend so I figured if I needed to eat something non-compliant, at least I would've finished 30 days.  I also figured that starting with 30 days and going from there gave me baby steps and achievable goals (not to mention it gave my family time to adapt to my new eating style without freaking them out).  

When I was coming to the end of my Whole30, I knew I was going to commit to extend to a Whole 60.  This time around I am keeping a complete diary on my workouts, meals, etc.  There are still things I need to learn and understand about foods and nourishing my body appropriately, so I believe tracking that will help.  Then as long as I am still not missing anything, I'll extend to a Whole90.  

Extending to a Whole90 will bring me to right before Thanksgiving - which is my longer-term goal.  My thoughts are that this will give me a really good, strong foundation going into the holidays.  We host Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve so I can still have Whole30 compliant dishes (in addition to the family favorites) which will definitely help through the holidays (I hope!).  Until I really dug into this program, I never quite understood the Sugar Dragon and the real need to eliminate foods to get rid of cravings and develop better habits.  And until I read It Starts With Food, I didn't know how various foods affected hormones and my body - boy was that enlightening!  I am hoping that extending to a Whole90 will help avoid my ingrained bad habits from sneaking back up and after that, stick as close to "WholeXX" as possible, only re-introducing foods that I really, REALLY want.  WHEW......that was long, sorry!

Archived