Fruit and Nut based Breakfast Bowls...What is Truly Compliant

kchef

Pardon the long intro, but I wanted to give some context to my question. This is my 3rd Whole30. My first I fudged a little and threw all my breakfast into a blender and made smoothies. (They did have fruits, veggies and fats but no definitive protein.) Second round, we only made it 21 days due to several big events where food was a bugger to work around but we did do the W30 template-style breakfast and I did feel better. This round, we are all in. I finally am reading It Starts with Food and realizing how important all of this is. (The first two rounds were more about losing weight not the health aspects.) So this time, I am trying to really comply, but also, after having a high cholesterol report (HDL was high which was good, but triglyc and LDL was also higher) I have had a hard time doing eggs every day. I started researching and saw "Monkey Salads", Chia Puddings, Acai Bowls and such. I tried these a day or two, but felt like something was off. 

So what is the official Whole30 dictate on these types of breakfasts?  

Should I have them at all? Small portions as a side?

I've also made ghee and cinnamon sauteed bananas with breakfast, is that compliant?

I've kind of made it my goal to do fruit and more starchy veggies at breakfast so I have the day to use them up and stick to lower carb veggies for lunch and definitely dinner. (I guess this doesn't have anything to do with bowls, but breakfast related as well.)

• Moderators

At most, those work as sides. If you tend to have a sweet tooth, they'll do nothing to help you get that under control. Also, totally anecdotal, but some people find having fruit with breakfast leaves them hungrier throughout the day, so you might want to at least try some days without fruit and see if you notice a difference.

You don't have to eat eggs. Any meal that works any other time of day works for your first meal too. Do try to make that meal like any other template meal, with protein, fat, and vegetables. 

As for the decreasing carbs throughout the day, that's fine if it works for you, but many people find having a serving of starchy vegetable at their last meal of the day helps them sleep better, so if you notice sleep issues, that's something you might play with.

@ShannonM816Thanks, I did read that in another thread about carbs in the evening. This is the problem with having been a serial dieter...I now have all of this competing information in my head to sort out.  I will definitely play with it. I actually have chili fries planned for tomorrow night to feed a bunch of boys and stay W30 compliant so I will see how it affects me to do so.  I really wanted to challenge myself and see how I could get by without much fruit and carby veg since I relied heavily on these the first two rounds and didn't see much change in my body. I'm not a big sweet eater, so that hasn't been a big deal, but salty potatoes are another story, so I have to be careful.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, kchef said:

So this time, I am trying to really comply, but also, after having a high cholesterol report (HDL was high which was good, but triglyc and LDL was also higher) I have had a hard time doing eggs every day. 

My breakfast during my official whole 30 (I continue to eat 95% whole 30) was almost always scrambled eggs, homemade breakfast sausage, potatotes, avocado and tomatoes - and my triglycerides dropped from 3x normal to totally normal, and my LDL dropped about 25% - eggs won't hurt you during a whole 30. Or, I should say, that's what happened for me :) 

Archived