Are Any Restaurant Wings OK?

I'm sure the answer is no, but just curious if wings at a restaurant advertised as "smoked" or "baked" or "gluten free" would be an ok option? I'm assuming most wings are deep fried in non-compliant oils, but would they be fried in addition to being smoked or baked? 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

I'm sure the answer is no, but just curious if wings at a restaurant advertised as "smoked" or "baked" or "gluten free" would be an ok option? I'm assuming most wings are deep fried in non-compliant oils, but would they be fried in addition to being smoked or baked? 

The answer is not 'no', the answer is 'you'd have to ask at the restaurant you intend to eat at'.  There is no 'standard' way of making wings even if they're smoked or baked or gluten free so one company might coat them in soy sauce and deep fry them in soy oil which would still be gluten free but not acceptable.  The 'baked' ones might be baked so no nasty oils but coated in flour with seasoning that has MSG so again, baked= great, ingredients = not.  Don't fall for buzz words that are intended to make things sound healthy... ask the questions at the time of ordering to make sure.

Archived