Frozen Banana "Ice Cream"

I've been seeing the "recipe" for frozen banana ice cream floating around the Internet for a while and have wanted to try it, but my kids always eat all our bananas before I remember to throw one in the freezer. I planned on blending up a frozen banana with a few walnuts, cocoa powder, and the coconut butter I made today (I'll NEVER do that again. I'd gladly pay $5/jar rather than spend 6 hours in the kitchen using every blending machine I have to get it "buttered"). I'm not a regular dessert eater and I'm not craving sugar. I'm just eating it because it sound delicious and I want to. So I'm "safe" right? If I were eating it to somehow satisfy a craving or as an emotional response, then it probably wouldn't be a good thing to do. I'm just trying to understand the whole concept of "treats" during Whole30. Thanks!

Hi Cadence,

Read up on this Whole9 article about sex with your pants on (SWYPO)

http://whole9life.com/2011/10/sex-with-your-pants-on/

We know from experience that one of the fastest ways to negate the potential benefits of your Whole30 experience is to try to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Paleo mold.

Dont try to substitute unhealthy food by making a "compliant alternative". Especially if youre not even having the cravings... There are far better choices for you than bananas (high in sugar) with cocoa butter and cocoa powder... try some berries instead if you want some fruit.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and "indulged" just because I was so curious about it. But I'll wait until the end of the 30 days to try it again. Berries sound wonderful, but unfortunately, out of all the amazing fruits available here, berries are difficult to find and expensive when I do (except for strawberries - which I ate my weight's worth - but they're nearly out of season now and not very good). I'll have to look at the list again and find other good fruits.

Hey Cadence, sounds like you need a Vitamix - high powered blenders work for that sort of thing (coconut butter, almond butter), but even those "Ninja" ones and the other gourmet ones won't do that without frustrating results.

As for the ice cream, I've thought of trying the banana on its own, frozen and then blended, without extra stuff... Supposed to be pretty good. Would that be okay on the Whole 30, or is it still a "treat"? I eat bananas pretty regularly in smoothies. Though I haven't officially started my whole30 (June 1!), I'm pretty compliant already. I'm also pretty active (running/biking), so am figuring out that I need the extra calories/fructose from the sugar in fruits.

There are some good recipes for fruit "sherbet" using an auger juicer. I had an Omega juicer and tried it once with frozen berries and it was pretty good. The auger is strong enough to create butters, although I don't have experience doing it. I remember the manual stating it could make them. I don't know if that would justify you spending $300 for one though, they're great, but a vitamix might come in handy more.

Oh boy, I'm only a week in and I think I'm killing my "robot" (what they're called over here in Spain). I've never used my blender and food processor so much! I've made almond butter, coconut butter, mixed nut butter, and more banana ice cream (for my son who has been sick). I've been trying to talk my husband into a Vitamix for YEARS, but once I finally had him on board, I chickened out. I didn't want to void the warranty by using it over here and I didn't want to take any chances on it shorting out while using it with a converter. But we've only got a year left and it will be one of my first purchases when we get back to the States! I've actually been pretty impressed with the capability of my blender (it's a Bosch). I've bad talked it for two years, but I have to take it all back, because it's pretty awesome at whipping up whole fruit/vegetable "juices" similar to what a Vitamix would do.

I tried the frozen banana, nutmeg, cinnamon, and coconut milk ice cream....I guess I was cheating by doing so but it was pretty good. In the morning this week I'm having coconut milk and berries smoothie which I hope complies with the whole30 plan. I added banana today because I wanted it to be a little sweeter...the berries alone are pretty bland or tart.

I'm sure your ingredients are compliant for your smoothie however during your W30 it's strongly recommended that you eat whole food meals rather than drinking them. I was a smoothie girl too and this was one of the most difficult things for me to transition away from but I found W30 to be right (they usually are!)...I am much more satiated when I eat the real deal...

Archived