Teen on Whole30

JediChi

My daughter is 15 and we are trying Whole30 with her at the suggestion of a friend. I am a fitness professional and follow/give general nutrition advice. That said, I agreed to try this with her because the elimination aspect of it was appealing to me in trying to figure out why she has been feeling full/bloated/uncomfortable for upwards of 6 months. By her own admission, she is fine with her physique, her weight is fine, she has generally good eating habits (though this sneaky sugar thing is a trip!), etc. but has been telling me about this uncomfortable feeling that seems to be bothering her as an athlete as well.

So here we are! All told, while I appreciate the re-setting how our bodies crave sugar and limiting snacking, I have a VERY active adolescent who needs to increase her caloric intake on this plan but also has nut allergies = No Larabar, No approved nuts. My question is: what are recommended snacks I can have her eat before she dances for 2 hours after a school day and then has to stay up until 10/11p to complete homework besides jerky products?

I was wondering about spiralizing potatoes and cooking in an approved oil for "fries". For her - not me. Her previous go-to was cottage cheese...

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JediChi said:

My daughter is 15 and we are trying Whole30 with her at the suggestion of a friend. I am a fitness professional and follow/give general nutrition advice. That said, I agreed to try this with her because the elimination aspect of it was appealing to me in trying to figure out why she has been feeling full/bloated/uncomfortable for upwards of 6 months. By her own admission, she is fine with her physique, her weight is fine, she has generally good eating habits (though this sneaky sugar thing is a trip!), etc. but has been telling me about this uncomfortable feeling that seems to be bothering her as an athlete as well.

So here we are! All told, while I appreciate the re-setting how our bodies crave sugar and limiting snacking, I have a VERY active adolescent who needs to increase her caloric intake on this plan but also has nut allergies = No Larabar, No approved nuts. My question is: what are recommended snacks I can have her eat before she dances for 2 hours after a school day and then has to stay up until 10/11p to complete homework besides jerky products?

I was wondering about spiralizing potatoes and cooking in an approved oil for "fries". For her - not me. Her previous go-to was cottage cheese...

Pre and post workout meals would be the same for her as for any other participant... at 15 you don't need to cater to her like you would small children... hardboiled eggs, chicken breast with guacamole, leftover meatballs etc... we don't encourage snacking on larabars and nuts anyway, so no problem with her not being able to eat those.

I don't think making 'fries' is the best plan either... stick to the template and recommendations... if she needs to eat more, she needs to eat to the high end of the template and if mini meals between main meals are necessary, also stick to the template of protein and fat and ideally veggies.

Archived