Confusion about rules on Dextrose

WeaselG

Hello all, currently sitting here at day 11.  And the guidance on Dextrose is a little confusing to me.

I get that dextrose is sugar, not disputing that at all.  And that it's on the Sneaky Sugar Guide.

But the following guidance (from here) has me scratching my head about Dextrose.

We also made one small change that you’re probably already doing, respecting salt. We realized that all iodized table salt contains a form of sugar (dextrose). You smart Whole30’ers were asking, “Does this mean we have to avoid table salt?” That’s conscientious of you, but that would also be nearly impossible. Avoiding table salt means you’d never be able to dine out, eat pre-made food from a deli counter, or buy packaged food from the grocery store! So we’ve added salt as an exception to to the official rules—probably not an actual change for you, but we wanted to spell that out for the Type A overachievers.

So I've been avoiding a ton of different prepackaged meats because they contain dextrose.  I get that table salt is allowed because of this one "gotcha", but this guidance continues to talk about "pre-made food from a deli counter" or "packaged food from the grocery store".  I guess the question I'm getting at in all this, is at what point do I consider Dextrose a sugar additive, and at what point to I consider it an exception because it's added to prevent the breakdown of Iodine in the salt?

Hope this makes sense.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, WeaselG said:

Hello all, currently sitting here at day 11.  And the guidance on Dextrose is a little confusing to me.

I get that dextrose is sugar, not disputing that at all.  And that it's on the Sneaky Sugar Guide.

But the following guidance (from here) has me scratching my head about Dextrose.

So I've been avoiding a ton of different prepackaged meats because they contain dextrose.  I get that table salt is allowed because of this one "gotcha", but this guidance continues to talk about "pre-made food from a deli counter" or "packaged food from the grocery store".  I guess the question I'm getting at in all this, is at what point do I consider Dextrose a sugar additive, and at what point to I consider it an exception because it's added to prevent the breakdown of Iodine in the salt?

Hope this makes sense.

You make a good point here because there's no way of knowing if the dextrose in the packaged meats is from them putting table salt in or from added sugar.  I'll take this back to Melissa and see what she has to say... continue avoiding anything (other than actual table salt) with dextrose until further notice :)

• Moderators

@WeaselG Here is the official response from Melissa

Table salt is always okay. Dextrose in any other context is NOT okay. Manufacturers of, say, deli meat don't have to spell out their table salt sub-ingredients, they can just say "salt." So if you see dextrose on anything OTHER than table salt, it's been added as a sweetner.

To put it another way, the only context in which dextrose is okay is in table salt--otherwise, if you see it on the label, it's out.

Archived