Starting my whole30 today! 11/25

Sjodo

Hey everyone!! Starting my Whole30 today now that I got past my favorite meal of the year. I am so excited for this!. I was suggested Whole30 from my doctor as a way of treating undiagnosed abdominal/pelvic pain. (Leaning toward endometriosis). I have my books and did my research and am ready to go!!. I even told my dad about it because he is a diabetic and suffers from arthritis and inflammation related pain. He is really excited to do the Whole30 and plans to start in January after speaking with his doctor and researching the program. So here we go!! Day 1.

I woke up and had black tea to combat my caffeine withdrawal since I do not like my coffee without cream and sugar. I drank half a cup then felt nauseous so I don't know what that's about. My dad made me some soft boiled eggs for breakfast and we ate together and discussed the program. So far so good, I can't explain how excited I am for this!! 

Anyone else start their whole30 today??

Just wanted to share my Whole30 day 1 dinner. Kale and spinach mix with chopped cucumbers, orange bell peppers, carrots, lemon juice, and steak chunks sauteed in onion, salt, pepper, and extra virgin olive oil. Can't wait to have those leftovers for lunch tomorrow that seasoned steak is yummy!!

IMG_20171125_165740.jpg

Day 1 recap as I lay in bed.

I feel good, I am having headaches from caffiene withdrawal but am managing only another day or 2 of that. My meals were good and very filling I'm not hungry, feeling pretty satisfied. I had to avoid all the cookies and sweets sitting around my kitchen all day that have accumulated from the holidays and still having guests here. Everyone is leaving tomorrow though so within a week we will have all the bad things cleaned out and I won't have to avoid the sugary stuff when my sugar dragon decides to wake up. I do have to say it was easy to say no to it all though I am sure in a few days it won't be so easy. I highly enjoyed my dinner, and didn't feel the least bit upset about missing the lasagne my mom made for everyone else. I have issues with cheese so I've never been a lasagne fan anyways, so it was nice to have an excuse not to choke down the lasagne that makes me feel awful. Props to my mom for being the first to say "she can't have it she's doing the Whole30" when my brother said "why aren't you eating the lasagne"? 

Well that's my update for day 1, onward to day 2!! Good night everyone!!

Good morning day 2! I have a slight headache from caffeine withdrawal, but not too bad. I woke up not starving and feeling pretty good. Today is the day I can start getting my kids and husband to eat all the things I can't have that my family has left in my fridge and cupboards :D. I made extra food for breakfast so my dad could experience a whole30 style breakfast while he continues to do his research and prepare for his own whole30. I made fried eggs with salt and pepper over spinach, compliant bacon, and potatoes with salt, pepper, minced onion, paprika, and red peppers. I got a little distracted so everything is slightly overcooked, but it still tasted great :) I am feeling full and satisfied.

IMG_20171126_085509.jpg

End of Day 2 update!! 

Well my headache got much worse throughout the day but I managed. Feeling a bit better now as the day comes to a close. I wasn't as tired today as I was yesterday. For lunch I had my leftover steak from Day 1 and it was just as good as leftovers. For dinner I planned to make tacos. My mom said she had a head of lettuce in the fridge so I didn't buy any when I did my shopping. I pulled it out and it was gross. So my kids and husband had tacos, I had a taco salad!! Close enough right? I used my kale and spinach mix, put my ground beef(seasoned with salt pepper paprika chili powder and minced onion) on my lettuce and chopped up some yellow peppers into my salad as well. It was very tasty, my husband even said it tasted better than the store seasoning packets! I have had some sugar cravings today, but I've been so full that I've easily been able to toss those cravings. I think it helps so much that I'm so full all the time. Well that's it for day 2! I'm going to use my left over ground beef in my scrambled eggs tomorrow morning! Then make some chili for dinner because I'm getting a little tired of standing over the stove and doing dishes all day :). 

Onward to day 3!

IMG_20171126_172254.jpg

Good morning day 3!

I felt much better this morning. My headache is almost non existant. I was eating some grapes while cleaning the kitchen and making breakfast this morning. While u was puttering around the pain in my lower belly and back got worse and worse and now I'm in full blown day 1 period cramps. Ugh!! Thankfully it's hitting at the beginning of my whole 30 and I should be able to ignore the urge to eat a half gallon of chocolate ice cream :D. As I said yesterday I used the taco meat in my scrambled eggs. It's a great pop of flavor and something a little different for breakfast. Good thing I planned to make chili today because these cramps aren't going to encourage me to cook 3 meals today. Time to start prepping the chili!! :)

End of Day 3 update.

I made the chili, it smelled really good, my husband said it was good, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it. I'm a picky eater and tomatoes are on my no go list, but I told myself I would try things I don't normally eat again, but I couldn't do it. So for lunch I made chicken soup with carrots and celery, and I'm having some of the leftovers for dinner. I noticed my cravings we're really bad at dinner time and consider the possibility of going off plan, but then I remember all the reasons for doing this in the first place. So I grabbed an apple to fill my belly to get rid of the cravings while I warm up my soup to eat. I can definitely feel myself getting more moody each day. Not looking forward to being a grouch. I keep telling myself if I can get through the first 2 weeks then the rest should be easy. 3 down, 27 to go.

IMG_20171127_134701.jpg

Hey!  I started my Whole 30 on the 25th too!  It was kind of an off the cuff decision, but I have done it before and recruited a bunch of friends and family to do it with me this time around so I dont think it will be too bad.  Im glad to see youre so committed and powering through that junk food hangover!  Before Whole30 I was drinking 6+ cups of coffee a day (yikes) so I haven't exactly stuck to the "no coffee after noon" rule, but I have cut it down to a solid 3 cups without murdering anyone! Also, I dont know if you have the book or not, but Melissas Chicken Hash is seriously one of my fav Whole30 recipes.  You should definitely try it out!

Hey Becca, 

My choice was for the health benefits, my doctor recommended it. I do have the whole30, and the cook book and I know what recipe you are talking about, it on my list of recipes to try :). I decided to go off coffee, because I didn't think I could handle drinking it black. I'm finally through the withdrawal phase, and now I'll need to decide if I want to start drinking it again after the whole30, or just save it for the occasional day I'm feeling run down. I only ever did 1 cup in the morning anyway. Thanks for the advice :) Good luck to you.

Good morning day 4!

Hey everyone! I think I'm finally through the withdrawal phase my head is feeling better. I'm a little tired and sluggish this morning, missing that coffee :D. I have bad cramps again today and can't have any of my go to comfort foods in times like this so I'm opting for a very basic simple breakfast. I'll make up for the lack of veggies at lunch and dinner. I decided to boil some eggs. I pulled 3 out at the 8 minute mark and cooked another 5 to 11 minutes so I can have some hard-boiled eggs for a quick lunch or dinner or even breakfast tomorrow. This is how my daddy always ate his soft boiled eggs. I'm not sure I have ever seen anyone eat then this way before but I wanted to share. Very simple, very easy, and still satisfying. 

My 3yo son also had a fever yesterday and today so all my extra energy and time is going into caring for him while trying to keep my immuno compromised daughter away so she doesn't get sick. If she gets sick I'll end up in the hospital and I'm pretty sure I'll have a hard time staying on the whole30 if I'm eating 3 meals a day at the hospital. So prayers for my kiddos health!!

IMG_20171128_092449.jpg

End of day 4 update!

Today was definitely a bit easier, maybe because I was pretty distracted all day. For lunch I had some left over chicken soup from yesterday, and for dinner I had a bunch of fresh raw veggies and fruits. My husband decided to bring chocolate chip cookies next to me and eat them...not cool, but I wasn't dying to steal one from him so I think that's good. My 3yo is still sick, my 5yo is managing to stay germ free so far which is great so hopefully tomorrow everyone is feeling a bit better.

Onward to Day 5.

I woke up and really can't believe it is Day 5!!

I don't really feel any different, after the caffeine withdrawal headaches subsided I've noticed I really haven't needed it. I think it was more of a habit, and not wanting the caffeine headache if I chose to skip my morning cup. I am hoping I can keep dairy in my diet so I can have a cup as a treat, or to warm me up on a chilly day, but other than that I don't think I will go back to having a cup everyday. I haven't wanted to "kill all the things" at all. Yesterday I was too distracted to be "hangry" and today I woke up and am in a cheery mood so I think I got to skip that phase. I am not sure if I got to skip the headache phase or not since I was in caffeine withdrawal and already having bad headaches. Hopefully I don't get too bloated in the days to come, I already feel less bloated today than the past couple days. But so far I am doing well. I am in a better mood today than I have been. My son woke up fever free and now I'm on fever watch for the next 24hrs for my daughter. It's been months since she has been sick so I'm hoping she can power through and not get sick because there is no way hospital food is compliant and the chick fil a will be way too tempting :'D. Well bring it on Day 5 let's go cook up some eggs!!

End of day 5 update!

Had hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

Had an apple, cucumber, spinach, kale salad for lunch.

Had baked sweet potato fries and steak for dinner.

Did good today, more of the same just keep moving forward meal by meal. Other than not having sweets, or some of my favorite foods I feel like I did before starting. I guess I'm experiencing food boredom lol but I will manage. Still not having severe food cravings or anything though so onward to Day 6.

Day 6!! Never got around to getting on this morning :D. Oh well I had scrambled eggs and sausage for breakfast with my kids(gave them English muffins with it). The paid bills, set a Christmas budget, went grocery shopping, raked the leaves from my front yard, and am not sitting in the driveway playing with chalk with my kids. No better time than now for an update. I woke up feeling good. I don't feel bloated even though I think I am supposed to. Not really feeling tired. Got a lot done today. I need to have lunch still but I am having fun with the kids and not really hungry yet so I'll go in and have some more of that chicken soup in a little. Haven't completely decided what's for dinner yet, but I want to make a pot roast in the next couple days but I have chicken breasts and pork chops in my fridge that are almost thawed out. If they don't thaw by dinner then we r having "fish and chips". Flouder and thin sliced potatoes baked. I don't see this as rule breaking bc we don't eat chips in our house. The only time they are ever around are when my mom brings them to the house or if I make spicy chicken dip for the hubby and he likes corn chips with them. Which I am actually planning to make in the next few days since he's been asking. I'm totally rambling!. Well I'll check back in before bed :)

End of day 6 recap!

So glad I went with the fish and chips. I know for some it's not compliant but for me it was I love my potatoes any way I can get them as long as I make them myself or at a restaurant. The flounder I put in a frying pan with EV olive oil, squeezed some lemon juice on the fish then lightly salt and peppered. For the chips I sliced gold potatoes into thin chip like slices. Tossed in EV olive oil, layed out in a single layer on a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil then salted the potatoes before putting in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes. It was delicious!. I decided tomorrow I'm gonna prep the salad fixings I bought today and cook up those chicken breasts for salads. Which means pork chops tomorrow for dinner! BTW that chicken soup is still delicious even days later it's a super quick and easy lunch and leaves me feeling full. 

Good night all onward to Day 7.

Hello Day 7!!

Good morning! As usual I'm feeling really good. Today I plan on having some soft boiled eggs for breakfast. Then after the kids are all settled and out of the kitchen I am going to do some meal prepping. I am basically going to spend the morning cutting veggies and things for salads. Cooking chicken breasts for my salads. And thinking of what meals to eat for the weekend. For dinner it's either pork chops or pot roast. Probably pork so I can save the pot roast for Saturday. Going to do some Christmas decorating today since it's officially December!! Hope everyone has a good Day!!

Just keep chugging!

Hi!  I started on the 24th so we have about the same timing. Good job posting your progress and I second Melissa’s Chicken Hash. If my kids weren’t so picky I think they would like it too. The apples give it a nice sweet crunch.  I also liked the shrimp with zucchini noodles, very easy. 

I switched to black coffee and it is not as satisfying. I used to linger over coffee with a little milk and sugar. Now, once the coffe is cool enough to drink, it gets too cold and bitter if I drink too slow. I am afraid it will be a slippery slope though to start the milk and sugar up again when I meet my goals. 

Good luck today!

12 minutes ago, Sarah1970 said:

Hi!  I started on the 24th so we have about the same timing. Good job posting your progress and I second Melissa’s Chicken Hash. If my kids weren’t so picky I think they would like it too. The apples give it a nice sweet crunch.  I also liked the shrimp with zucchini noodles, very easy. 

I switched to black coffee and it is not as satisfying. I used to linger over coffee with a little milk and sugar. Now, once the coffe is cool enough to drink, it gets too cold and bitter if I drink too slow. I am afraid it will be a slippery slope though to start the milk and sugar up again when I meet my goals. 

Good luck today!

I love my coffee all creamy and sweet so it wasn't a tough choice. I chose to detox off the coffee, mostly because I didn't like that my body was addicted to something and I figured it'd be better to detox and have an occasional cup after the whole 30 if I choose to. My husband tried to get me to take caffeine pills, which I suppose is an option if you don't want to detox. Also tea is a lot less bitter black than coffee is. If you can find a tea that you like than it can be a huge help if you are still feeling u need that warm caffeine beverage. I was planning to drink tea for the whole30 but got really nauseous for no reason when I was drinking tea on the am of day 1 so I just said whatever and committed to the detox. I hope this helps. And I am definitely gonna try the hash, just probably not until next week sometime. Maybe I will plan it for my day 11 as something to look forward to and hopefully skip over the "days I am most likely to quit". :) Good luck to you too!!

Sarah- to better enjoy the great hot black coffee experience, pour smaller amounts into the cup from which you drink.  This makes it easier to have it hot without scalding.  Also, if brewing at home, decreasing the coffee ratio to water a little bit.  As to the drive thru, I've found that McD's has a better satifying blend that DD.

My partner and I also started on 11/25, but I am just joining the forum today. Day 8 and all is going well!

I only drank one cup of coffee a day previously, so I wasn't too concerned about caffeine withdrawal issues, but I switched my coffee to a weaker roast, as I always used cream in the past, and haven't had any issues. I am at the point now where I don't think I will need to re-introduce cream once this is done - medium roast black coffee works fine! 

End of day 7 recap!

I have noticed that I like my food very simple. As close to the original thing as it gets. So I hardly use seasonings in my cooking other than salt and pepper. My eggs it's only ever butter salt pepper or sometimes olive oil depending on how I prepare them but I'm really liking the soft boiled eggs how my dad always ate them. That's what I had for breakfast this morning. I don't like fruit cooked I will only eat apples cooked in an apple pie mostly when I make the pie because it tastes so much better than store bought. My veggies I will eat almost all veggies raw. Especially tossed into a salad which I made today I prepared a head of lettuce half a head of purple cabbage cucumber peppers and carrots into a large bowl so I can just scoop some out and put some protein on top for lunches for the week. I actually skipped lunch today because I wasn't hungry and because I lost track of time and had a ton of stuff to get done. I also noticed being so busy I only had 1.5 bottles of water where I have been having at least 4 a day since I started. I plan to make the whole30 basic vinegarette or the Italian vinegarette to have with my salads but I also do just lemon juice. For dinner I cut up some pork chops and put then in a dish with cubed gold potatoes and baked it with a little salt and pepper and steamed some broccoli. Just a little salt on the broccoli and that's it. I just love the way food tastes when it's not all covered in different seasonings and sauces and I feel fresher and cleaner eating it...if that makes sense :'D

Onward to week 2...Day 8!

Good morning Day 8!

I'm feeling good this morning feeling thin not bloated at all. A slight headache, but I did only drink half as much water as I've been drinking yesterday so it's probably from that. It's my first "real" weekend since starting the whole30. I decided to just cook eggs and whatever random leftovers I had in the fridge so I threw the potatoes from last night into a skillet with olive oil, chopped up a green pepper into it, sprinkled with onion, salt, and pepper, went to grab the eggs and noticed the sausage in the fridge from earlier in the week so chopped up some sausage into the skillet cooked it for a couple minutes then added the eggs. Took my portion out and put cheddar on my husband's half. Also had to make my husband "my" coffee which he only drinks on Wednesdays...feeling a little jealous, but in good. Also made the kids thomas blueberry bagels...my favorite form of gluten...still feeling strong though. 

Last night I had to chaperone a kids sleepover which included a pizza run - 5 large pizzas all in my lil car.  Daang, that was hard not to give in and have a lil bit!  I made orange chicken meatballs with cauliflower rice for myself last night and that def hit the spot.  (You can find the recipe I used here, its actually quite easy, though I would recommend using less salt).  I am feeling way more energy and less bloated than previous days though.  Staying motivated!  Cheers to day 8!

Goodnight Day 8 and good riddance!!

Had a salad for lunch. My head has been hurting all day so I don't think it's from the water the day before because I was really hydrated today. I think my body is trying to make me surrender to sugar because when I have a headache my go too are chocolate, coffee, chocolate ice cream, and soda. But I am strong and was not hungry just in pain. We went to the mall and I was day dreaming about cinnabuns on the ride over to distract me from my headache. Thankfully I got super lucky we had such a crazy day and it's 10pm and I am finally done moving around I've been going all day non stop. But I got lucky because we were at family's house they were watching the kiddos for us and we came to pick then up and the offered for us to join for dinner and somehow they managed to make a 100% compliant meal without even knowing I was doing the Whole30. Talk about lucky!! So I had a yummy pot roast that I didn't even have to cook! Score! We brought the kids home and went out to a Christmas celebration in a nearby town and everyone was walking around with hot chocolate and yummy snacks and I couldn't have any of it which was fine. But I was a little chilly and my head was so bad at this point that the hot chocolate was practically singing my name. But like I said I am stronger than my cravings and wasn't hungry or thirsty. 

Glad this day is over onward to Day 9 good night all.

Day 9 update and recap...

Omg I am feeling so much better today no head problems feeling thin not bloated. Had soft boiled eggs and a banana for breakfast as a quick meal while I got my pot roast started in the crock pot before heading off to church. Got home then went to lunch with a friend. Everything looked so delicious!! But I knew I couldn't be safe knowing ingredients so I went with a grilled chicken salad. It was tasty and filling. Got home and the pot roast smelled amazing and was almost done. I just finished eating it and it tasted amazing, just like when my momma always made it. So so good!! I had a Chuck roast, seared both sides in olive oil and salt and pepper then plopped it in the crock on top a bed of onions. Added cubed potatoes and carrots and put the crock on low. It was going for 6-7 hours, at least that's when we ate it, it might have been edible before 6hrs. Feeling full, satisfied, and wonderful if this feeling continues idk how I can ever go back to eating the way I did before. Definitely continuing an almost completely whole30 when I'm done...with the exception of chocolate ice cream if I can stomach the dairy :)

Onward to day 10 and I definitely don't feel like quiting today so I hope this feel good vibe carries me through the next couple days!!

Archived