Running a 50K on day 20

Julie913

I'm starting the Whole 30 Jan. 1st and I am in the planning for success phase now.  I am currently trying to trouble shoot nutrition options for a 50K I have coming up on Jan. 20th, so day 20 of the program.  This is my first 50K however I am an experienced endurance athlete (10 marathons 5 of which were ironman marathons) so I have that to draw on,  but I have always fueled on typical surgery foods....sports drink, gels, chews.  I don't have any time goals for this race, it's really just 'for fun'  thing with a friend so I am not worried about speed as much as am I am about bonking. 

I am thinking I will need to make sure to have higher carbs that week leading up to the race and on race day fuel with dates, dried fruit and nuts, tiny potatoes, almond butter, and bananas.  Does anyone have anything else that has worked for them?  Homemade foods?  Or advice to give me?  I really think not having sports drink may be the hardest part?  And needn't to have the right food planned and prepared to eat at then end since I probably won't be able to eat what's being served.  I typically don't really want a big plate of vegges after a 6 hour race!  haha!

I am also worried about recovery and not being able to have my typical recovery shake right after....and the answer is probably no but would this be an occasion where a bag of  potato chips would be acceptable? :)  What are some foods that you have found to satisfy that 'I'm starving I want salty potato chips and pizza' craving I often get after a long race?  

This may not be a PR race for you but my vote is start your Whole30 post-race. You bet you’ve got oodles of racing experience under your belt (so awesome!!! BTW) so it sounds like you know already how to navigate this slightly longer distance using your traditional methods.... however, asking this of your body AND your mind so soon into the healing process... may lead to negative consequences you haven’t experienced before or counted on. 

How much real food can you carry - do you have a camelbak or anything similar you're going to wear? If so, you can certainly carry things like boiled/salted white potatoes, roasted sweet potato chunks, dates, bananas, nuts, etc. You could also carry meat sticks or RXBars, but someone will point out that those are for "emergencies only." For me, the potatoes would be the key fuel, for both during and after the run. I would consider having a pre-prepared full, extra-servings meal waiting for you at the finish line, either chilling in your car or have a friend bring it. I'd probably opt for something like a hash with sweet potato, onion, pepper, chicken sausage, maybe some apple, maybe some eggs scrambled in. It's a hearty mix, and will probably taste good with the slight sweetness of the sweet potato and apple, plus the saltiness of the sausage.

Coconut water is a popular choice for W30 endurance athletes in place of sports drink. I personally can't stand it, but worth trying if you haven't already.

Last, and you likely already know this, but I would use this last month to practice this nutrition on your long runs. Test how you'll carry it, how you'll retrieve it, eat it without dropping, etc., and especially how it works performance-wise. You don't have a ton of time to adjust, but probably still have some long runs you can experiment with.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also new to W30 and was worried about nutrition for longer runs since I usually rely on Gu for marathon training. A W30 veteran who has run marathons while doing Whole 30 told me she used organic baby food (squash, sweet potato and banana) since the pouches are easy to carry and broke up compliant Lara bars into bites. I wouldn’t worry about these being “for emergencies.” I think running 50k constitutes a valid reason. :) 

Best of luck! 

I haven't done the race yet but I had two long training weekend the last 2 week to practice, heres what I learned:

I.  I am ok with just water, partly because it is cold and i am not sweating/losing electrolytes like I do in the summer

2.  The easiest thing to consume while running is fruit puree pouches or baby food pouches - I am going the use the Clif brand 'organic energy food' on race day.  They are more expensive but they have electrolytes and I think that maybe help full since it will be warmer on race day than it has been during training.  

3. It's REALLY hard to chew a RX bar and run - I will eat one before and maybe after but NOT during. 

4.  Lara bars are much easier, but I wont relay on a ton of them

5. nuts give my a side stitch 

6.  dried fruit (I used dates, apricots, raisins, and mango) are ok.  Dates are the easiest to chew.  I will stick to only dates in the future.

7.  I used roasted potatoes one and they were way too dry and kind of shriveled up.  I could try boiled, but I think I am gonna to skip them and use other things. 

8.  I found i need more fuel that when I am running without sports drink since I am not getting the liquid calories.

9.  I am going to put some fruit juice in a flask for the race.  Although I have not tied this in training.  I will start with one and I will put on in my drop bag.  

10.  It's totally doable to run on real food!  

• Moderators

Baby food pouches, Larabars and EPIC bars worked well for me. Too much dried fruit could have some bad effects, so be cautious. Running long during your WHole30 may yield mixed results as your body is changing from sugar to fat burning. Go into it with a gentle mindset toward your performance.

Question along these lines - I've been reading more into why fruit isn't the best choice post workout - because the fructose replenishes liver glycogen and we need our muscle glycogen replaced (which needs glucose).  I would assume this is the same for during a workout?  ie if I'm going to fuel during a race, should I be looking for something that provides glucose as well?  I've been doing fruit/veggie mixed baby food to hopefully get some of the starchy carb glucose in.  But, was looking at the clif organic stuff for my race since it is packaged smaller and has electrolytes, as mentioned above.  The banana/mango/coconut one doesn't necessarily have glucose, right?  So is that a poor choice?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this topic.   I'm a runner and am on day 10 of the whole30.  I have experienced the leaden legs phenomenon for sure.  Today I did an 18 mile training run.  This should normally be pretty doable for me.  My first 5 miles felt great ( I was giddy to not feel like I was wearing a lead apron).  Then I started to get hungry, so I ate an applesauce pouch.  Still felt hungry and so ate a larabar.  It was all downhill from there.  Major nausea from mile 7 on, and ended up vomiting at mile 15.  I haven't puked while running in nearly 20 years.  So, is this still part of the transition to fat adaptation?  Or did I just eat the wrong stuff?  (Prior to this I used honey stinger and nuun).  Thanks 

Archived