Over a week done and... restart?

Kattz

So I started on December 11th. I know, not what is suggested as an ideal time to do this, but I felt I needed to start now versus waiting. I had my gallbladder taken out around ten years ago, and something I was never warned about from the Dr was that foods may have an adverse reaction to my body after it was gone. I caulk it up to the fact that I went to the ER, and was in surgery three hours later, and my post-op checkup was just to see how the healing was going, possibly. What I found out within a few months, was that there are foods that I have some pretty ugly reactions to now, within 20 minutes of eating them... tops. It is never the same each time, and so it feels like I am always playing Russian roulette when I eat. It has gotten a little better over the years, but I think that is mostly because I have started avoiding foods that are known triggers like the plague, or if I have them, I enjoy the heck out of them knowing I'll pay shortly after. Another issue I've had that has steadily gotten worse over the last few years, I am plagued with zero energy. I could sleep for 14 hours and still be tired, get 7 hours of sleep and still be tired. After a battery of tests and finding nothing wrong, I felt now was the time to try Whole30 and see if certain foods are the issue for my lack of any energy, and what food or ingredient is my true enemy with my non-gallbladder.

Now I'm faced with possibly having to restart and I'm not sure if I need to or not. My husband, bless his heart, is attempting to do this with me. He's got it down mostly, but he still enjoys his cereal daily as well as Nutrigrain bars and such. Last night, he decided he was going to make dinner for us which I give him props for doing. He cooked up the extra lean beef with some veggies, and some spices. His own little concoction, and it tasted fabulous. What I didn't realize till after, was that he used a spice combo that we picked up when we were on vacation in Jamaica, which has sugar as one of the ingredients. Now, they use the real raw cane sugar there, not the refined, or fake stuff we have here, but it is still sugar none-the-less. Does this mean that I have to count today as a re-Day1? Or can it be a lesson learned and continue on with this being Day 10? 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Kattz said:

So I started on December 11th. I know, not what is suggested as an ideal time to do this, but I felt I needed to start now versus waiting. I had my gallbladder taken out around ten years ago, and something I was never warned about from the Dr was that foods may have an adverse reaction to my body after it was gone. I caulk it up to the fact that I went to the ER, and was in surgery three hours later, and my post-op checkup was just to see how the healing was going, possibly. What I found out within a few months, was that there are foods that I have some pretty ugly reactions to now, within 20 minutes of eating them... tops. It is never the same each time, and so it feels like I am always playing Russian roulette when I eat. It has gotten a little better over the years, but I think that is mostly because I have started avoiding foods that are known triggers like the plague, or if I have them, I enjoy the heck out of them knowing I'll pay shortly after. Another issue I've had that has steadily gotten worse over the last few years, I am plagued with zero energy. I could sleep for 14 hours and still be tired, get 7 hours of sleep and still be tired. After a battery of tests and finding nothing wrong, I felt now was the time to try Whole30 and see if certain foods are the issue for my lack of any energy, and what food or ingredient is my true enemy with my non-gallbladder.

Now I'm faced with possibly having to restart and I'm not sure if I need to or not. My husband, bless his heart, is attempting to do this with me. He's got it down mostly, but he still enjoys his cereal daily as well as Nutrigrain bars and such. Last night, he decided he was going to make dinner for us which I give him props for doing. He cooked up the extra lean beef with some veggies, and some spices. His own little concoction, and it tasted fabulous. What I didn't realize till after, was that he used a spice combo that we picked up when we were on vacation in Jamaica, which has sugar as one of the ingredients. Now, they use the real raw cane sugar there, not the refined, or fake stuff we have here, but it is still sugar none-the-less. Does this mean that I have to count today as a re-Day1? Or can it be a lesson learned and continue on with this being Day 10? 

Our suggestion is to restart, but you can read the article titled 'do I have to start over' in my signature below and decide.

Ya, that was pretty much what I thought as well, but I won't deny I was just a tiny bit hopeful. Well then, here's to my Day 1! What have I learned, a well intention husband, who doesn't fully get why you are doing what you are doing so isn't fully supportive, but is trying, is not going to be the best person to try food from.

Archived