BHA and BHT

Olivia R

Saw some sausage that would otherwise be whole 30 approved but had BHA and BHT listed as ingredients which I now know are preservatives. They don't seem to be explicitly forbidden but also don't seem to be with the spirit of the whole 30 to eat them. Any thoughts?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Olivia R said:

Saw some sausage that would otherwise be whole 30 approved but had BHA and BHT listed as ingredients which I now know are preservatives. They don't seem to be explicitly forbidden but also don't seem to be with the spirit of the whole 30 to eat them. Any thoughts?

If they're not called outt on the rules, then they're fine for the Whole30, however as you've eluded to, there are items such as preservatives that people choose to also eliminate of their own accord on their Whole30 which is also fine, but if all you can find is sausage with these in it, then that would be technically fine to have.

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, Olivia R said:

Awesome. Thank you. I think I will leave all preservatives out. I don't need the sausage I can replace it with ground pork in the recipe and add spices! 

Good idea!  I generally avoid all presevatives too when I can help it... some you can't, like citric acid for canned tomatoes (since no one likes rust in their tomatoes) but when you can do a sub like you're doing, I always do that too :)

Archived