Day 7 Whole30 - Day 1 menstrual cycle. EXHAUSTED!

Oh_Melette

I’m in my first Whole30 and have been high-fiving myself for making it this far (my goal was take it a day at a time the first week, and then go full steam). 

I felt weaker than usual all weekend, but did a lot of meal shopping and meal prep (which I’ve decided burns at least as many calories as the Mayo I put on my lettuce wrapped BLT!).

My sleep has been poor, but on day 1 of my period, I am even more fatigued and actually feeling achey/feverish (but no actual fever).  This is as healthy as I’ve treated my body in a a while, and am not sure wht to do: suggestions?!  

Thanks - from a newbie! 

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Oh_Melette said:

I’m in my first Whole30 and have been high-fiving myself for making it this far (my goal was take it a day at a time the first week, and then go full steam). 

I felt weaker than usual all weekend, but did a lot of meal shopping and meal prep (which I’ve decided burns at least as many calories as the Mayo I put on my lettuce wrapped BLT!).

My sleep has been poor, but on day 1 of my period, I am even more fatigued and actually feeling achey/feverish (but no actual fever).  This is as healthy as I’ve treated my body in a a while, and am not sure what to do: suggestions?!  

Thanks - from a newbie! 

It's fair that you're not feeling your best but 7 days of eating protein, veggies and fats isn't likely enough to cause full scale improvement. Especially considering that if Whole30 is a significant departure from how you used to eat, you're probably also right in the middle of "carb flu" and your body trying to figure out what's going on.

Take it easy, give yourself extra care.

High Five @Oh_Melette -- I am totally dealing with the same thing.  I am on day 10 and just started my period, and i am so exhausted - which I was hoping I would be past by now. I have cut back my workouts and have been aiming for at least 9 hours of sleep a night (a vast improvement from my usual 6) but I just cant seem to shake the weak/sleepy feeling. I have a job where I cant just not be here, so powering through each day is just my goal. 

I found that the sauna at my gym was helpful - relaxing and the warm air helps my skin in this bitter cold - and then trying to get cozy and mentally relaxed as soon as possible to put my brain in the sleep zone. That or some lavender good smelly stuff and some meditative music - hopefully it'll help your brain and body relax. 

Good luck on your W30 journey!

Glad I’m not alone, but the sad update for me is I actually have the real flu, and not just “carb flu!”  Good news, Tamiflu to the rescue, and my meal prepping on Sunday has allowed me to keep to my Whole30! Admittedly, having a fever and being achey and half asleep hasn’t made me eat nearly as many calories as the plan suggests with fats/protein etc - BUT if I can make it through my first W30 with the flu & not cheat or slip, there is hope for us all! 

Sauna - noted! 

I also also learned that a “newked” sweet potatoe smothered in ghee and nutmeg tastes about half as good with a stuffy nose, but it sure is a quick fix! ;) 

Archived