Poo problems

I'm having a bowel issue while on this diet. Prior to Whole30 I had a fairly healthy lifestyle- I'm a pescetarian so I don't eat meats. Prior to Whole30 I also had normal bowel movements, no real problems with constipation (unless i pigged out on cheese) or diarrhea. However! This Whole30 has had me bloated for the first 2 weeks of it (started January 1st), and today is the first day I feel semi-not-bloated, but still not back to normal. I actually feel like I've gained weight from all the bloat, though I've been compliant daily. I have been using ghee, a lot of my sauteed veggies are cooked with olive oil and sometimes ghee. I have been eating sweet potatoes almost daily, for breakfast. I've also been eating more eggs and avocado. I have been eating fish like scallops, cod and shrimp. I have had lara bars, probably 3 this whole time, and this is because i work 12 hour shifts quite frequently and it's my rescue bar. Back to the issue at hand! I've noticed I'm not having as many stools, which isn't a big deal because I don't feel constipated. I think my bigger issue is my feces is longer and thinner. Today was the first time i experienced what appeared to look like oil blobs floating in the toilet, like someone put oil in the water. I do believe this means i'm eating too much fat? But the only fat I really get is from eggs, avocado and the butter/oil to make my vegetables. My stomach has felt like it is churning lately. I drink kombucha almost daily. My sleep has been better- i'm sleeping through the night more. But i'll be honest, I'm really discouraged that I'm halfway through and instead of seeing NSV's , I'm developing digestive issues in a gut that was previously healthy! Help!

This happens to me when I do Whole 30, and was particularly bad with my first one.  I had to cut out a couple things (especially coconut and sweet potato).  Taking probiotics helped.  If you aren't sensitive to coconut, some coconut water should help get things moving.  By the third week, once I realized what was irritating my stomach, it got a lot better.  Good luck! (And I ended up losing 13 lbs during and after the whole 30, once the bloat went down).

You might also try a magnesium supplement, such as the unflavored Natural Calm. That really can get things moving along. I'll also note from personal experience that nuts cause a lot of digestive issues for me, including bloat and constipation. Your larabars have lots of nuts in them, so you might want to find an alternate "emergency" snack to try for a few days to see if that helps you out.

I had this exact issue last time I did whole30 - this time around, I'm being more conscious of ensuring I eat enough fiber that is not just kale (which is hard for me to digest in large quantities) - so eating more squash, blueberries, apples, etc., and slowly upping the amount of raw veggies I eat over the course of the 30 days. I also have been really careful to not eat any  more nuts than I normally would - that really messed with my stomach last time. I would also recommend drinking bone broth - that really helped calm my stomach and return my digestive tract to normal. Peppermint tea also helps!

Archived