Starting Here In Israel

Dovid

Hey, Dovid here, started my Whole30 here in Israel.

I'm 34 years old and I've been interested in eating healthy for a long time now and have heard about and tried different things. My wife was diagnosed with Crohn's last year and she decided to go on the SCD diet, which I joined her on. I saw some great results and through her research, she found the Whole30 and I've been hooked since then. I've taken my time to go through a couple of the books and especially doing the SCD, which is lightly different, waited for the time to do the Whole30. I've encouraged some family members and friends to take it on as well.

So, the time is now, and I've begun, thanks to Melissa Joulwan http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/, I prepared a ton of food and have launched my Whole30. I'm hoping I'm on Day 5 though due to some technicalities, which are awaiting clarification, I may be a bit less then that. No matter, I fully believe in healthy living and eating, so I'm in. I am very curious to see what will happen in the reintroduction stage.

I am an Orthodox Jew, so I will be having bread over the weekend, I've made sure to limit the amount and without any sugar or other noncompliant ingredients besides the grain. I have grape juice and make sure there are no sulfites, so I can avoid the alcohol. I did this as well when I was on the SCD and I saw good results and there is no doubt that when I went off, I felt it.

Here's to Health!

Hi!

I was just searching to see who else is in Israel, and Frum. So happy to see I'm not alone here!

I'm planning on starting next week. I'd love it if you could post about compliant products that you find.

I need to discus with my Rav exactly how much Challah I need to have. But I've understood that gluten-free is still better so I need to look into that as well. Of course we just need to be careful and stay compliant except for where there's a ritual involved.

Good luck!

Hi Tamar!

Where do you live? I'm happy that you found my post. Have you found anyone else who's in Israel and from? I found some people who live in Israel, but they were here a while back.

Let me know what you decide about the challah, I'm curious. I have a spelt pita, and I hear about the gluten, for me that doesn't seem to be such an issue, and I know that it's hard to find hamotzi gluten free options. There was one roll made of oats that was hamotzi and gluten free, one came with sugar and one without, so maybe that could work for you, or if you're up for making your own... I am not doing that at this stage. I've found those rolls in health food stores like Olam HaTeva in Ramat Bet Shemesh and Yerushalayim on Agripas near the shuk.

In terms of compliant products, any specific things are you looking for?

Good luck to you! I guess enjoy your last shabbos before the Whole30! ;)

I'm in Beit Shemesh. (My husband and almost-2-year-old son aren't joining me on this ;)) Where are you?

You probably did the same search on here that I did. I'm guessing it's just the two of us.

I honestly don't know enough to know if gluten is an issue for me. I'll have to look around when we get closer to Shabbat and if I can't find oats I'll go with spelt. I assume sugar-free is more important than gluten-free.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:19 AM, Dovid said:

In terms of compliant products, any specific things are you looking for?

No, just curious if you found anything you can recommend.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:19 AM, Dovid said:

I guess enjoy your last shabbos before the Whole30! ;)

Thanks! I did ;)

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, tamar said:

. I assume sugar-free is more important than gluten-free.

;)

Actually no, sugar isn't a huge gut disruptor like gluten is... if you had a choice between sugar or something with gluten, I"d pick sugar every time... the amount you're going to eat is minimal so it's not like you're going to get a huge sugar buzz from it but even a spec of gluten can mess up the gut reset if you're at all sensitive (and you may be, some people don't notice sensitivity until they do the program).

• Moderators
1 minute ago, tamar said:

I haven't found sulfite-free vinegar. Have you?

It only needs to be free of added sulphites/sulfites.  Many vinegars will say 'contains sulfites' but that means they're naturally occurring.  As long as they're not listed in the ingredient list as an added item, they're fine.

Just now, SugarcubeOD said:

It only needs to be free of added sulphites/sulfites.  Many vinegars will say 'contains sulfites' but that means they're naturally occurring.  As long as they're not listed in the ingredient list as an added item, they're fine.

It is listed in the ingredients on every vinegar I've checked (of any type). I know ingredient lists in Israel tend to be very detailed, probably because of strict regulations- maybe they're required to list it even if it's naturally occurring?

For example, I'm looking at a bottle of regular vinegar I have at home. The label says in large letters that it's manufactured naturally. The ingredient list is as follows: Vinegar 5%, water, preservative: sodium sulfite E223.

That sounds like it's added.

Speaking of vinegar, I looked at a bottle of balsamic I have and there is no added sulfite but caramel is listed. That means sugar, right? Is that a normal ingredient..?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, tamar said:

It is listed in the ingredients on every vinegar I've checked (of any type). I know ingredient lists in Israel tend to be very detailed, probably because of strict regulations- maybe they're required to list it even if it's naturally occurring?

For example, I'm looking at a bottle of regular vinegar I have at home. The label says in large letters that it's manufactured naturally. The ingredient list is as follows: Vinegar 5%, water, preservative: sodium sulfite E223.

That sounds like it's added.

Speaking of vinegar, I looked at a bottle of balsamic I have and there is no added sulfite but caramel is listed. That means sugar, right? Is that a normal ingredient..?

You're right, the way that vinegar is labelled indicates that the sulfite is added.  Also yes, caramel is a sugar so that's out...   Have you tried looking for Apple Cider Vinegar?  That's usually easier to find compliant.

Sugarcube, thanks for helping us out here and your pointer on the sugar vs. gluten.

Tamar, I've had trouble with vinegar here too. Apple cider vinegar is out there and relatively easy to find these days and is compliant as far as I have seen. Other products that I like are Frank's Hot Sauce, B'Aracha Techina in a bottle, it's 100% and delicious. Also there are mustards that are compliant, you can double check the ingredients, I think ShopRite brand, which you could find in Best works and I think there are others as well.

Sugarcube, can you clarify the deal with the wine vinegars and the rice vinegar? I'm confused about those...

Also, I came across something about molasses for making some sauce, can we have that???

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Dovid said:

Sugarcube, thanks for helping us out here and your pointer on the sugar vs. gluten.

Tamar, I've had trouble with vinegar here too. Apple cider vinegar is out there and relatively easy to find these days and is compliant as far as I have seen. Other products that I like are Frank's Hot Sauce, B'Aracha Techina in a bottle, it's 100% and delicious. Also there are mustards that are compliant, you can double check the ingredients, I think ShopRite brand, which you could find in Best works and I think there are others as well.

Sugarcube, can you clarify the deal with the wine vinegars and the rice vinegar? I'm confused about those...

Also, I came across something about molasses for making some sauce, can we have that???

What would you like clarified about the vinegar? I'm not sure what 'deal' you're referring to.

Also, you probably came across the Mel Joulwan Coconut amino's home made sub which has molasses but that's out for Whole30 because of the 'no added sugar' rule and molasses is just sugar.

On 1/21/2018 at 6:52 PM, tamar said:

I'm in Beit Shemesh. (My husband and almost-2-year-old son aren't joining me on this ;)) Where are you?

I'm in Bet Shemesh too. My wife would sometimes join me on this but not at the moment. I got gluten free bread in the health food store at the Merkaz in Ramat Aleph this past Friday. Sprouted Oats. What did you use?

• 2 months later...

Hey, checking in again. I made it through my first Whole30 and ended up going 45 days before I started the reintroduction. I felt amazing! And I started my second Whole30 this past week, I am now on day 6 and it's great! I have to say that after being off of the plan and not being so careful for a month or so, coming back on it so relieving, I don't feel like I am restricting myself from eating anything, I feel like I'm eating normally again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived