Becoming Hypoglycemic

I am a type II diabetic and have been on the program for about 6 days. I take insulin 2x a day plus two oral medication. My control has not been good. My last AbH1c was 8.5. It should be bellow 7 and my morning blood sugars have been 160 or greater. Since starting the program my blood sugars have dropped to an average this week of 104. This morning I was 86. My concern is if I am some where and I become hypoglycemic and my only option is something not compliant, do I have to restart the program?

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I am a type II diabetic and have been on the program for about 6 days. I take insulin 2x a day plus two oral medication. My control has not been good. My last AbH1c was 8.5. It should be bellow 7 and my morning blood sugars have been 160 or greater. Since starting the program my blood sugars have dropped to an average this week of 104. This morning I was 86. My concern is if I am some where and I become hypoglycemic and my only option is something not compliant, do I have to restart the program?

Have you spent some time looking around the site and googling things like 'whole30 with diabetes'?  There's a ton of information out there about things you can eat that are still compliant to get your sugars back up, so instead of me typing it all out again, have a poke around and see if you can't find some information :)  

As far as if you ate something non compliant and had to restart, the official ruling is yes, however  we'd encourage you to make your own decision by reading the 'do I need to restart' article linked in my signature below.  If you're used to carrying something with you to combat this situation, the research you do could find you different options of items that might work but obviously if it's urgent and life threatening and you have glucose tabs, take them; we would never suggest someone does something just to stay in the spirit of the program when their life is at risk.

Hi Brian! If you’re at home when you become hypoglycemic, you can drink something like orange juice (which is compliant) with no added sugar to increase your glucose. For example, you could have a half cup of OJ and retest your blood sugar 15 minutes after and see if you are in an appropriate range for you (depending on what your doctor has told you is your low; based on your A1c potentially 70-75 but again you should go with what your doctor says or if you feel symptomatic). This way you don’t have to reset every time you become hypoglycemic. Just be sure to intake something with natural carbs and fiber and/or good fats so that your glucose levels are sustained and doesn’t dip throughout the day. I would recommend letting your doctor know you are doing the Whole30 if you haven’t already so that they are aware and can help guide you in a safe way if you need help. Also, if your glucose doesn’t improve after a repeat attempt be sure to seek medical attention. 

Archived