Seasonal Depression and Whole30

Hey everyone! I'm on Day 23 on my Whole30 (the last final push!) and I am really struggling to keep going with the program. I usually get seasonal depression this time of year, and as it has been rearing its head, the desire to run to sugar is getting worse and worse. When I'm feeling in these "down" slumps, typically I would get a little treat as a pick-me-up, but alas, Whole30. I have seen some benefits which is nice, but they really don't outweigh the crummy winter blues.

Thoughts? Advice? 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, icecreamfordinner said:

Hey everyone! I'm on Day 23 on my Whole30 (the last final push!) and I am really struggling to keep going with the program. I usually get seasonal depression this time of year, and as it has been rearing its head, the desire to run to sugar is getting worse and worse. When I'm feeling in these "down" slumps, typically I would get a little treat as a pick-me-up, but alas, Whole30. I have seen some benefits which is nice, but they really don't outweigh the crummy winter blues.

Thoughts? Advice? 

Have you looked around the site to see others who have mild or seasonal depression and what conversations might have gone on there?  You can search the site easiest by using google so 'whole30 seasonal depression'  - some forum posts below that might help.

If you would like us to take a look at your meals to make sure all your bases are covered, please post a few days of what you've been eating including portion size, specific veggies, fruit, fat and protein, exercise, sleep and anything else you think might be important.

the thing here is that if you usually get seasonal depression then it's something that the Whole30 may not be responsible for, so saying you see benefits but it doesn't outweigh the crummy winter blues sort of seems to put the onus on getting SAD from the Whole30... sometimes things go on in our lives while we're doing the Whole30 that are not related but sugar isn't going to cure SAD so you're in the right place to keep going here :)

Archived