My first whole 30 starts today!

boardinguy24

I'm 24 years old and work in law enforcement. I work a 12 hour shift and rotate between night and day shift every 2 weeks. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of trouble sleeping and I've also put on weight since the academy and have had trouble losing it. I'm 5'10" and weigh 210 pounds. I've never tried this diet or anything like it. Eating well to me was always about eating more fruits and vegetables along with a slim fast. I've never cut carbs and mostly just tried to cut fried foods when training a lot for work. I also tend to drink a lot of milk...as in a gallon every 2 days.

I think this will be very challenging but good for me. My job requires me to stay in shape and it is also very important. I need to do this for my health and to maintain good performance with my job. I am also trying out for the CERT team at work (same thing as SWAT team) in February, so this should definitely help with that!

Does anyone have any advice for me throughout the 30 days?

Welcome to whole 30!

Have you read It Starts with Food? It's important to understand the foundation of the program and how to change your relationship with food. It's not just about eating meat, good fats, fruits and veges. It's about understanding why you eat what you eat, what you crave and why, and how to forever change your personal relationship with food.

I highly recommend reading the book. If you prefer not to, I recommend devouring all the info you can from the website in order to understand what the program is about.

Congrats on your new journey to good health!

Welcome!

First, thank you for doing what you do :).

The sleep cycle you are on could definitely be messing with your hormones. Regulating our hormones through regular eating and proper amounts of sleep is so key. It sounds like you are doing a little bit of stressing about the weight gain. Know that it DOES start with food, but there is so much more at play here. Following the food template will help you, but ensuring you get the proper amount of rest, especially when your shift changes, is going to be key too.

Looking forward to hearing your progress!

Archived