Kombu is it ok and why?

Kkatz

So I’ve seen several posts referencing using a bit of kombu in broths and other applications but I’m confused. Why would kombu be ok to use if we are avoiding msg?  It is in effect the unrefined form of msg. I haven’t found it expressly permitted anywhere so I wonder if people just don’t realize this or if I’m missing somewhere that it’s explained. Thank you in advance! 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Kkatz said:

So I’ve seen several posts referencing using a bit of kombu in broths and other applications but I’m confused. Why would kombu be ok to use if we are avoiding msg?  It is in effect the unrefined form of msg. I haven’t found it expressly permitted anywhere so I wonder if people just don’t realize this or if I’m missing somewhere that it’s explained. Thank you in advance! 

Kombu is a seaweed and is not expressly called out as against the rules.  There are other foods that have naturally occurring MSG in them, just like grapes have naturally occurring sulfites in them but added sulfites are expressly prohibited.  While some foods are rife with glutamate (ripe tomatoes, dried mushrooms, broccoli to name a few) for those that are not extremely sensitive, this should cause no problem.  The problem is with food manufacturers adding it to food in quantities that far outweigh the amount that is naturally occurring in some foods.  Plus, Monosodium glutamate is a processed additive and kombu is a seaweed that has glutamate in it... two rather different things.

Archived