Soup?

BlueEyez

Hey everyone!

I finished my Whole 30 and started introducing some foods, but I would like to go back to eating Whole30 for a little while longer (had some bad reintroductions; peanuts apparently aren't my friend). The problem is I really struggle with what to have for lunch. Throughout my Whole30 I found myself just having a green smoothie or some veggies with nuts because they were quick and could easily be thrown together in advance. I want to start eating an actual lunch but it has to be something I could make a batch of to last for a few days and take to work. I was thinking about making batches of soup and just taking that with me in a thermos. Would that be a good lunch? If not, do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

• Moderators

Soup can be a great option, just be sure it's got a combination of protein and vegetables, and don't forget to add some fat. You could also cook a big pot of chili, stew, or even a roast, any of which you could reheat in the morning and stick in a thermos. For some extra vegetables (because extra vegetables are never a bad thing) you could keep chopped vegetables in the fridge, even put them in containers you can just grab and go. Add some homemade mayo or ranch or guacamole to dip them in for fat, or just add a big handful of olives if you like them. Or make up a big chopped salad and put it in containers. Look for things made of heartier vegetables -- This broccoli salad will keep well for a few days:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/12/13/suddenly-im-in-the-mood-for-broccoli/, or this beet salad:  http://meljoulwan.com/2010/05/27/belly-dance-beet-salad/.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, BlueEyez said:

What kind of fat can be added to soups? I'm trying to avoid nuts and coconut right now. Would meat count?

Meat is mostly protein, fatty meat would add some fat, but maybe not enough, you'd just have to see how you did with it. Olives and avocado are fat -- you can eat either of those on the side, or chop up avocado into your soup (I probably wouldn't cook it in the soup, unless you find a recipe that specifically says to, I'd probably just chop it up and add it either in the thermos in the morning, or as you're eating). Oils (and any sauces or dressings made mostly from them) are fats -- you wouldn't necessarily add them to the soup, although you could, it just might seem oily, which some people don't like, but you could have salad or vegetables on the side and add some kind of sauce to those.

Archived