Day 23: Still Not Sleeping Well

april_espi

So I'm on day 23 of my first Whole30. The process has generally been pretty smooth for me. At first, I struggled with hunger and dizziness, but adding more fats to my diet helped a lot. One of the main reasons for me doing the Whole30 was to improve my sleep. I don't have a problem falling asleep, but I struggle with tossing and turning and waking up too early. I was hoping some of that would be resolved by now, based on testimonials I read. I've cut down my caffeine consumption to one 1/2 decaf cup a day and that's it. I usually go to bed at the same time- I actually struggle to stay away past 1030p. I've tried reading before bed, cutting out electronics, etc. But like I said, the problem isn't falling asleep, it's staying asleep. I'm pretty sure I'm eating enough. I eat more than what the template recommends due to previously being constantly hungry and dizzy. I work out a lot so if I get hungry in between meals, I eat a protein or fat source. I listen to my body first before following the snacking rules to the T.  Due to lack of quality sleep, I struggle with energy most days. I have enough energy to get me through a workout and a 4-5 hour shift at work. After that, I take it easy because my body is physically tired. I recently had blood work done and everything came back normal, so it's not a hormone thing. Does anyone have any experience with the sleep issue? It's a bit frustrating and if I wasn't so close to finishing, I'd consider throwing in the towel. 

I'm a lifelong insomniac. Diet isn't always the answer, although hopefully you'll get some good advice in here. I went through all the testing. I did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, meditation, a valerian supplement, and more. I finally had a sleep study, and found out I have a mild form of sleep apnea that wakes me up multiple times a night. Sleep is a weird thing. Keep pursuing your options!

3 hours ago, purplepadres said:

I'm a lifelong insomniac. Diet isn't always the answer, although hopefully you'll get some good advice in here. I went through all the testing. I did Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, meditation, a valerian supplement, and more. I finally had a sleep study, and found out I have a mild form of sleep apnea that wakes me up multiple times a night. Sleep is a weird thing. Keep pursuing your options!

Wow! Yea I've tried prescribed sleep meds, melatonin, sleepy time tea, Nyquil, zzquil...you name it. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, it's such a gamble. Thanks for your feedback!

Archived