Egg issue

Milissa

I am preparing to start the program with my 12 year old daughter in a couple of days (my 5 year-old daughter will be along for the ride, too), and I'm a bit frustrated over the egg situation. We live in a suburb of St. Louis, MO, and I cannot find any eggs that are solely pasture-raised. Every egg I've found is from chickens that are is still supplemented with whole-grain feed. I purchased several dozen eggs before realizing this, and have already cooked some to have ready. We can't afford to just real food out and start over, especially when I'm spending so much on each dozen.  I would love to know where I can find eggs from chickens that are simply allowed to forage, with no supplementation. I bought our eggs at Whole Foods market this time, and I haven't checked at the Farmer's Market yet, but as the weather is variable here in the MidWest, I expect those farmers have to supplement their chickens, too. Help?

I've found cheap-ish organic eggs at Costco. Also, although it's ideal to eat organic and free range.... it isn't a requirement of the program. Otherwise lots of people couldn't afford to do the program.  So,  I wouldn't stress of you can't afford or can't find the "perfect" egg. Just buy eggs. Good luck!

• Moderators

Any eggs are okay to use -- buy the highest quality that is available to you and fits your budget. For some people, that's conventional eggs, for some it's pasture raised, it doesn't matter, just make it work for your situation. 

If you want to find pasture raised, youll probably just have to go talk to people at the farmers market or search for people in your community who raise chickens.

Archived